Come for a leisurely wander around our farm and make friends with our wonderful animals.
Please note each child under 12 needs to be accompanied by a responsible adult (1 adult per child) for appropriate supervision.
About Us -
We are a family run Alpaca Farm near the picturesque market town of Barnard Castle in the Durham Dales. We have been building our herd of alpacas for 12 years and now have 60 animals. In addition to breeding alpacas (and now llamas!).
All of our activities are by prior appointment only and we do get booked up some way in advance especially in the summer and at weekends, so be sure to book early to avoid disappointment. Other dates may be available, please call us on 07976 423258 to discuss.
Food & Drink
We do not currently have a shop or café onsite, however the fabulous Cross Lanes Organics Farm Shop and Café is only a mile away. Cross Lanes will give you a discount if you have attended one of our Treks.
Other Local Things to See and Do
Directly opposite us is Northside Swimming Pool (available to book for private use) and nearby are some 5 star Holiday cottages at Kearton Cottages. Within a few minutes’ drive there are lovely walks along the River Greta at Bowes and the River Tees at Barnard Castle, the ruins of the Castle at Bowes Village and in the opposite direction the impressive ruined Eggleston Abbey. In Barnard Castle itself there is the eponymous Castle and stunning Bowes Museum modelled after a large french Chateau and housing a huge collection of art, furnishings and clothes including an alpaca wedding dress in its archives.
Further Afield Things to See and Do
Travelling a little further north, a walk through a rare juniper ‘forest’ will bring you to High Force waterfall, England's highest uninterrupted drop of water. Heading towards Durham City will give you the chance to see Raby Castle near Staindrop, and at Bishop Auckland the Castle and Deer Park, the Mining Art Gallery, the new Auckland Tower and in the summer, the amazing Kynren extravaganza depicting England through the ages.
Adorable Alpacas! Thank-you Doug & Sam for our wonderful Alpaca Trek. The whole experience was absolutely brilliant, first we were introduced to the Alpacas and Llamas they were inquisitive and very friendly. Doug & Sam provided lots of information and it was apparent that they are passionate about their animals. We went for a beautiful walk by the river, this provided excellent photo opportunities, we hand fed the Alpacas, this one:one interaction was very special and much appreciated. On the way back my Alpaca 'Chorio' was very affectionate leaning in towards me to be stroked...Priceless!!! Thank-you again :-):-)
Fantastic experience, Doug & Sam are a lovely couple, very knowledgable about their Alpacas, The Trekking was amazing all over their land then down to the river. Not rushed very laid back & value for money. Couldn’t recommend this amazing experience more, the Alpacas & Llamas are just adorable. So friendly. I took my family of 7 & everyone said it was the best day ever & we all want to come back. Thank you Doug & Sam
We had a great afternoon! Doug and Sam were so friendly, so welcoming and very informative! We were introduced by name to several alpacas, walked 4 of them and hand fed them. The whole experience was very personal and laid back. It's obvious that all the animals are so well looked after! We also had a little cuddle of their two gorgeous puppies which was the best way to round off a lovely afternoon. 10/10 value for money. 100% would recommend
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Farm Visit (1 Hour)||£15.00 activity|
Farm Visits (without the alpaca walk) are available for larger numbers please call to discuss.
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good0
- Chri5tianaLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFantastic experience!Sunday, 18th April 2021Doug and Sam were friendly, welcoming and informative. We had a fantastic walk after each meeting our alpaca along with another couple. They have a beautiful serene location but very accessible. Doug... Read full review
- T4930BQkevinsTrip Type:FamilyAmazing Afternoon with Beautiful AlpacasWednesday, 26th May 2021Well worth the return trip from Blackpool to visit the amazing Alpacas this afternoon. The time spent was not rushed, informative and all with a dash of humour. Lovely to spend time with such amazing... Read full review
- Andrew MBridlington, United KingdomAMAZING !!!!Monday, 26th July 2021What an amazing time we had. Booked for the wife's birthday as she loves Alpacas. Not only do you see loads of gorgeous Alpacas, you get to walk one and feed it too. Doug and Sam quite clearly adore... Read full review
- By Car - Full directions are provided when booking. Please read with care as folks quite often get lost.
- Without Car - There is no public transport to our door - however there are taxis from Barnard Castle who can drop off and collect if required - please ask for details.
- Access Statement - Our routes for the Alpaca Treks are for reasonably fit & able bodied people however we can possibly customise visits and treks to suit a variety of people who may have difficulty with our normal routes - Please call to talk it over and we will do our best to accommodate.
- Distance: 1-5 Miles
- Grade: Easy
- Grade: Moderate
- Route Surface: Off Road
- Theme: Breathtaking Views
- Theme: Family Friendly
- Theme: Forest / Woodland Trail
- Theme: Nature
- Theme: Rivers / Reservoirs
- 1m distancing in place
- Advance booking essential
- Capacity limit
- Clear signage
- COVID-19 measures in place
- COVID-19 risk assessment completed
- COVID-19 staff training completed
- Face masks available for visitors
- Facilities must be booked
- Hand sanitizer available to visitors & staff
- Open now
- Regularly sanitised high-traffic areas
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - We have limited parking esp during the wetter months, please enquire if you are intending arriving in a number of vehicles.
- Parking (free) - Access is down a farm track. If you have a camper van etc. please contact us to discuss access or make alternative arrangements.
- Approx length of visit - Visits can take between 1 and 2 hours depending on arrival times of different parties; Please do not book/arrange other activities too soon after the trek/visit is scheduled to finish.
- Booking essential
- Groups Accepted - For larger groups please contact us to see what we can offer.
- Min group size - Minimum of Two people with alpacas for the treks or Two people for visits
- Open by appointment only
- Accommodation nearby - There are a range of accommodation choices close by - several campsites, Bed and Breakfasts, Holiday Cottages and Hotels - Please contact us for details.
- Fitness level required - medium - Walks are over rough ground with some slopes and require a basic level of fitness - however we can tailor activities for those who might struggle with the above. Please contact us to discuss options.
- Lessons/courses available - We can provide Alpaca training and education for those who may be interested in owning Alpacas or those who may already have alpacas but require extra support and information. We can tailor this to your needs - Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
- All Year - Farm Visits and Trekking are available all year round however we will need to reschedule if the weather is poor. As such it is more likely we will need to reschedule in late autumn, winter and early spring.
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Happy to discuss requirements for educational visits.
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* We are open by appointment. Early booking recommended esp. Weekends, Holidays and Summer. Please have some alternate dates in mind should your first choice be unavailable