Alpaca Trekking with Teesdale Alpacas
Tel: +44 07976 423258
We are a family run Alpaca Farm near the picturesque market town of Barnard Castle in the Durham Dales. We have been building our herd of alpacas for 15 years and now have 60+ animals. In addition to breeding alpacas (and now llamas!) we host farm visits and alpaca trekking where you can meet these lovely, fascinating animals and go for a leisurely wander. We can also make school visits and other off-site events like weddings and team-builds (on and off site). For 2023 we will also be running photography sessions where you can refine your art (with some expert guidance if you wish).
We normally keep to small groups so there is lots of time to learn about the alpacas and feel their calming influence! This allows us to offer a leisurely relaxing walk which we may be able to modify according to your needs and preferences. Please call for a chat and we'll see what we can do! However, we can cater for larger groups and can travel for special events including weddings. All of our activities are by prior appointment only and we do get booked up some way in advance especially in the summer and at weekends.
Come for a walk with us and enjoy some stunning Teesdale scenery and make friends with one of our alpacas.
Treks last in the region of 1.5 hrs in total including a visit with our girls and any babies. Please allow plenty of time for overruns as the alpacas aren't always looking at their watches!
Food & Drink
We do not currently have a shop or café onsite, however the fabulous Cross Lanes Organics Farm Shop and Café is only a mile away. Cross Lanes will give you a discount if you eat/drink in their cafe if you have attended one of our treks/farm visits.
Other Local Things to See and Do
Directly opposite us is Northside Swimming Pool (available to book for private use) and nearby are some 5 star Holiday cottages at Kearton Cottages. Within a few minutes’ drive there are lovely walks along the River Greta at Bowes and the River Tees at Barnard Castle, the ruins of the Castle at Bowes Village and in the opposite direction the impressive ruined Eggleston Abbey. In Barnard Castle itself there is the eponymous Castle and stunning Bowes Museum modelled after a large french Chateau and housing a huge collection of art, furnishings and clothes including an alpaca wedding dress in its archives.
Further Afield Things to See and Do
Travelling a little further north, a walk through a rare juniper ‘forest’ will bring you to High Force waterfall, England's highest uninterrupted drop of water. Heading towards Durham City will give you the chance to see Raby Castle near Staindrop, and at Bishop Auckland the Castle and Deer Park, the Mining Art Gallery, the new Auckland Tower and in the summer, the amazing Kynren extravaganza depicting England through the ages.
Adorable Alpacas! Thank-you Doug & Sam for our wonderful Alpaca Trek. The whole experience was absolutely brilliant, first we were introduced to the Alpacas and Llamas they were inquisitive and very friendly. Doug & Sam provided lots of information and it was apparent that they are passionate about their animals. We went for a beautiful walk by the river, this provided excellent photo opportunities, we hand fed the Alpacas, this one:one interaction was very special and much appreciated. On the way back my Alpaca 'Chorio' was very affectionate leaning in towards me to be stroked...Priceless!!! Thank-you again :-):-)
Fantastic experience, Doug & Sam are a lovely couple, very knowledgable about their Alpacas, The Trekking was amazing all over their land then down to the river. Not rushed very laid back & value for money. Couldn’t recommend this amazing experience more, the Alpacas & Llamas are just adorable. So friendly. I took my family of 7 & everyone said it was the best day ever & we all want to come back. Thank you Doug & Sam
We had a great afternoon! Doug and Sam were so friendly, so welcoming and very informative! We were introduced by name to several alpacas, walked 4 of them and hand fed them. The whole experience was very personal and laid back. It's obvious that all the animals are so well looked after! We also had a little cuddle of their two gorgeous puppies which was the best way to round off a lovely afternoon. 10/10 value for money. 100% would recommend
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Alpaca Farm Visit - Gift Voucher (Two Adults)||£35.00 activity|
|Alpaca trek (Duration of visit 1.5 hour)||£25.00 activity|
|Alpaca Trekking Gift Voucher (2 Adults)||£55.00 activity|
|Farm Visit (1 Hour)||£15.00 activity|
We specialise in small groups, minimum of two alpacas, @ £25 per alpaca, additional people (without alpaca) £15.
We may be able to customise visits according to needs but please contact us to discuss.
Children under 12 but over 6 may share an alpaca with an adult for a supplement of £15 - subject to age and ability.
This activity is not suitable for children under 6 and between 6 and 9 they would require an additional adult (£15) in case they are unable to continue the activity for any reason.
Farm Visits (without the alpaca walk) are also available for larger numbers please call to discuss.
Vouchers will be emailed (Print and post service available for an additional supplement of £5 to cover costs - please contact us directly if you wish this option).
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good0
- AlanazmTrip Type:CouplesFantastic experience, would recommend!Sunday, 17th April 2022Fantastic experience! I’d booked it as an Easter surprise for my partner. Both Sam and Doug were extremely welcoming and knowledgable - very passionate about what they do. Overall we would recommend. Read full review
- G4479QZjacquelinesTrip Type:CouplesFantasticTuesday, 12th July 2022Absolutely Brilliant! What an absolutely fantastic experience we all had on Sunday. I booked vouchers last year as a xmas present and well worth it. We all had a great time. The visit was very... Read full review
- chazdothandsNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAmazing day outSunday, 14th August 2022Got taken here as a birthday surprise & it was one of the best surprises you could ask for! Doug & Sam were so knowledgeable & friendly, the alpacas were all adorable! Being able to walk your own... Read full review
- By Car - Full directions are provided when booking. Please read with care as folks quite often get lost.
- Without Car - There is no public transport to our door - however there are taxis from Barnard Castle who can drop off and collect if required - please ask for details.
- Access Statement - Our routes for the Alpaca Treks are for reasonably fit & able bodied people, however, we may be able to customise visits and treks to suit a variety of people who may have difficulty with our normal routes - Please call to talk it over and we will do our best to accommodate.
- Distance: 1-5 Miles
- Grade: Easy
- Grade: Moderate
- Route Surface: Off Road
- Theme: Breathtaking Views
- Theme: Family Friendly
- Theme: Forest / Woodland Trail
- Theme: Nature
- Theme: Rivers / Reservoirs
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - We have limited parking - please enquire if you are intending arriving in a number of vehicles.
- Parking (free) - Access is down a farm track. If you have a camper van etc. please contact us to discuss access or make alternative arrangements.
- Approx length of visit - Visits can take between 1 and 2 hours depending on arrival times of different parties; Please do not book/arrange other activities too soon after the trek/visit is scheduled to finish.
- Booking essential
- Groups Accepted - For larger groups please contact us to see what we can offer.
- Min group size - Minimum of two people with two alpacas for the treks or two people for visits
- Open by appointment only
- Accommodation nearby - There are a range of accommodation choices close by - several campsites, Bed and Breakfasts, Holiday Cottages and Hotels - Please contact us for details.
- Fitness level required - medium - Walks are over rough ground with some slopes and require a basic level of fitness - however we may be able to tailor activities for those who might struggle with the above. Please contact us to discuss options.
- Lessons/courses available - We can provide Alpaca training and education for those who may be interested in owning Alpacas or those who may already have alpacas but require extra support and information. We can tailor this to your needs - Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
- All Year - We are closed for farm visits/alpaca walks during Nov-Feb due to the unpredictable weather and poor ground conditions..
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Happy to discuss requirements for educational visits.
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* We are open by appointment. Early booking recommended esp. Weekends, Holidays and Summer. Please have some alternate dates in mind should your first choice be unavailable