We are a family run Alpaca Farm near the picturesque market town of Barnard Castle in the Durham Dales. We have been building our herd of alpacas for 12 years and now have 60 animals. In addition to breeding alpacas (and now llamas!) we host farm visits and alpaca trekking where you can meet these lovely, fascinating animals and go for a leisurely wander.
We normally keep to small groups so there is lots of time to learn about the alpacas and feel their calming influence! This allows us to offer a leisurely relaxing walk which can be modified according to your needs and preferences. Please call for a chat and we'll see what we can do! However, we can cater for larger groups and can travel for special events including weddings. All of our activities are by prior appointment only and we do get booked up some way in advance especially in the summer and at weekends.
Come for a walk with us and enjoy some stunning Teesdale scenery and make friends with one of our alpacas.
Coming later in 2019 we hope to be able to welcome you with a purpose built reception centre where you will be able to look at all our wonderful alpaca products and maybe purchase a keepsake. Also in the pipeline will be some ‘craft’ activity days where you’ll be able to make alpaca felt, scarves, yarn and feed your inner crafter.
Food & Drink
We do not currently have a shop or café onsite, however the fabulous Cross Lanes Organics Farm Shop and Café is only a mile away. Cross Lanes will give you a discount if you have attended one of our Treks.
Other Local Things to See and Do
Directly opposite us is Northside Swimming Pool (available to book for private use) and nearby are some 5 star Holiday cottages at Kearton Cottages. Within a few minutes’ drive there are lovely walks along the River Greta at Bowes and the River Tees at Barnard Castle, the ruins of the Castle at Bowes Village and in the opposite direction the impressive ruined Eggleston Abbey. In Barnard Castle itself there is the eponymous Castle and stunning Bowes Museum modelled after a large french Chateau and housing a huge collection of art, furnishings and clothes including an alpaca wedding dress in its archives.
Further Afield Things to See and Do
Travelling a little further north, a walk through a rare juniper ‘forest’ will bring you to High Force waterfall, England's highest uninterrupted drop of water. Heading towards Durham City will give you the chance to see Raby Castle near Staindrop, and at Bishop Auckland the Castle and Deer Park, the Mining Art Gallery, the new Auckland Tower and in the summer, the amazing Kynren extravaganza depicting England through the ages.
Adorable Alpacas! Thank-you Doug & Sam for our wonderful Alpaca Trek. The whole experience was absolutely brilliant, first we were introduced to the Alpacas and Llamas they were inquisitive and very friendly. Doug & Sam provided lots of information and it was apparent that they are passionate about their animals. We went for a beautiful walk by the river, this provided excellent photo opportunities, we hand fed the Alpacas, this one:one interaction was very special and much appreciated. On the way back my Alpaca 'Chorio' was very affectionate leaning in towards me to be stroked...Priceless!!! Thank-you again :-):-)
Fantastic experience, Doug & Sam are a lovely couple, very knowledgable about their Alpacas, The Trekking was amazing all over their land then down to the river. Not rushed very laid back & value for money. Couldn’t recommend this amazing experience more, the Alpacas & Llamas are just adorable. So friendly. I took my family of 7 & everyone said it was the best day ever & we all want to come back. Thank you Doug & Sam
We had a great afternoon! Doug and Sam were so friendly, so welcoming and very informative! We were introduced by name to several alpacas, walked 4 of them and hand fed them. The whole experience was very personal and laid back. It's obvious that all the animals are so well looked after! We also had a little cuddle of their two gorgeous puppies which was the best way to round off a lovely afternoon. 10/10 value for money. 100% would recommend
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Alpaca Farm Visit - Gift Voucher||£20.00 activity|
|Alpaca trek (1 hour)||£20.00 activity|
|Alpaca Trekking Gift Voucher||£40.00 activity|
|Farm Visit (1 Hour)||£10.00 activity|
We specialise in small groups (minimum of two alpacas - £20 per alpaca, additional people (without alpaca) £10) We are able to customise visits according to needs but please contact us to discuss. Children under 12 may share an alpaca with an adult. Farm Visits (without the alpaca walk) are also available for larger numbers please call to discuss.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good0
- CatLady135Trip Type:CouplesHappy Chappy AlpacasThursday, 4th July 2019What an Amazing day we had at Teesdale Alpacas ! We booked for my partners Birthday - weather was a bonus , a lovely dry sunny day. Doug met us and allowed us to see the new baby Alpacas and he was... Read full review
- Karen HTrip Type:FamilyOh my goodness...Teesdale Alpacas!!Thursday, 4th July 2019Perfectly paced Alpaca Trip. The owners loved and cared for their 'charges' and had names for each and every one. What I found refreshing was the fact that Teesdale Alpacas is very non commercial and... Read full review
- Anna PBarnard Castle, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAmazing Alpacas!Tuesday, 9th July 2019We had the most fabulous time with Teesdale Alpacas. Sam and Doug were incredibly welcoming and knowledgeable and the alpacas were healthy, well cared for, obviously loved and very happy to go for a... Read full review
- By Car
- Without Car - There is no public transport to our door - however there are taxis from Barnard Castle who can drop off and collect if required - please ask for details.
- Access Statement - Our routes for the Alpaca Treks are for reasonably fit & able bodied people however we can possibly customise visits and treks to suit a variety of people who may have difficulty with our normal routes - Please call to talk it over and we will do our best to accommodate.
- Distance: 1-5 Miles
- Grade: Easy
- Grade: Moderate
- Route Surface: Off Road
- Theme: Breathtaking Views
- Theme: Family Friendly
- Theme: Forest / Woodland Trail
- Theme: Nature
- Theme: Rivers / Reservoirs
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - We have limited parking esp during the wetter months, please enquire if you are intending arriving in a number of vehicles.
- Parking (free) - Access is down a farm track. If you have a camper van etc. please contact us to discuss access or make alternative arrangements.
- Approx length of visit - Visits can take between 1 and 2 hours depending on arrival times of different parties; Please do not book/arrange other activities too soon after the trek/visit is scheduled to finish.
- Booking essential
- Groups Accepted - For larger groups please contact us to see what we can offer.
- Open by appointment only
- Accommodation nearby - There are a range of accommodation choices close by - several campsites, Bed and Breakfasts, Holiday Cottages and Hotels - Please contact us for details.
- Fitness level required - medium
- Lessons/courses available - We can provide Alpaca training and education for those who may be interested in owning Alpacas or those who may already have alpacas but require extra support and information. We can tailor this to your needs - Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
- All Year - Farm Visits and Trekking are available all year round however we will need to reschedule if the weather is poor. As such it is more likely we will need to reschedule in late autumn, winter and early spring.
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Happy to discuss requirements for educational visits.
* We are open by appointment. Early booking recommended esp. Weekends, Holidays and Summer. Please have some alternate dates in mind should your first choice be unavailable