Uncover history at Raby Castle. Built by the mighty Nevills in the 14th Century, and home to Lord Barnard’s family since 1626, you’ll be fascinated as knowledgeable and friendly Guides help bring history to life with guided tours of the halls and chambers which house fabulous interiors, art collections and dramatic architecture. Outdoors, enjoy a stroll and spot wildlife in the deer park, relax in the walled gardens, discover the Carriage Collection or explore the Woodland Play Area. A visit to the Tearoom and a browse around the gift shop all combine for a memorable day out.
Tickets can now be purchased near the entrance to the Walled Gardens. This means you can access the Tearooms, Woodland Play Area and Gift Shop completely free of charge, so if you want to come for lunch or a slice of cake with some friends, you can do so without paying admission.
Our new ticket office is in a horse box-style trailer, and a similar trailer also houses a new take-away stand offering drinks and snacks. You can enjoy these in the new outdoor covered seating area in front of the stable block. The perfect place for a glass of wine in the sun or coffee and cake before a walk with the dog. As well as the new trailer, our Tearooms menu has been revamped and offers a delicious selection of lunches, cakes, snacks and afternoon tea. A fantastic range of coffees, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are also available; adding a glass of prosecco to your afternoon tea will make the perfect treat or gift. The Tearooms will be open seven days a week from 9am.
The Gift shop will also be offering a new garden section this year with beautiful Spring plants to brighten your home.
The Park and Woodland Play Area are open all year. The Gardens re-open on Saturday 2 March until the end of October.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Walled Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Very Good194
- JulieKLarkLangley Moor, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyInformative tour, beautiful grounds, nice gardensThursday, 16th May 2019We enjoyed the tour of this castle that is still a residence. Somehow, knowing it is still a home gives it more appeal. The grounds are tremendous with small but well done gardens. Read full review
- AlanJ150GosportTrip Type:CouplesBeautiful day in the English countrysideFriday, 17th May 2019We visited the castle after being recommended to by friends living locally. Beware of vicious cattle grid at main entrance. The grounds,including cricket pitch with pavilion and sight screens, are... Read full review
- Lyndsay WHuddersfield, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFabulous day outSunday, 19th May 2019Visited Raby Castle and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. The castle is very well maintained and the staff very friendly and helpful. The gardens and deer amazing. Would definitely recommend a... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
|Park and Woodland Area (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Castle (Weekends only until April then Wed - Sun to Sept) (2 Mar 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
|Gardens (Weekends only until April then Wed - Sun to Sept) (2 Mar 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
* Raby Castle and Gardens re-open for weekends in March 2019 and are then open Wednesdays to Sundays from April to September (as well as Tuesdays in July and August). Open bank holidays.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.