Uncover history at Raby Castle. Built by the mighty Nevills in the 14th Century, and home to Lord Barnard’s family since 1626, you’ll be fascinated as knowledgeable and friendly Guides help bring history to life with guided tours of the halls and chambers which house fabulous interiors, art collections and dramatic architecture. Outdoors, enjoy a stroll and spot wildlife in the 200 acre Deer Park, relax in the 18th century Walled Gardens, discover the Carriage Collection or explore the Woodland Play Area. A visit to the Stables Cafe and a browse around the Shop all combine for a memorable day out.
Tickets can now be purchased near the entrance to the Walled Gardens. This means you can access the Stables Cafe, Shop and Woodland Play Area completely free of charge, so if you want to come for lunch or a slice of cake with some friends, you can do so without paying admission.
The ticket office is located in a horse box-style trailer, and a similar trailer also houses a new take-away stand offering drinks and snacks. You can enjoy these in the new outdoor covered seating area in front of the stable block. The perfect place for a glass of wine in the sun or coffee and cake before a walk with the dog. As well as the new trailer, our Stables Cafe menu has been offers a delicious selection of lunches, cakes, snacks and afternoon tea. A fantastic range of coffees, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are also available; adding a glass of prosecco to your afternoon tea will make the perfect treat or gift. The Stables Cafe is open seven days a week from 10am.
The Shop offers a new garden section this year with beautiful Spring plants to brighten your home.
The Park and Woodland Play Area are open all year.
The Gardens are open on Saturday 2 March until the end of October.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Walled Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2020
- Very Good225
- fleure_11Gotherington, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesPark and gardensThursday, 10th September 2020Beautiful garden,reminiscent of Hidcote with ‘rooms’.Lovely park for a walk with or without a dog.Did not visit castle inside as we had a dog.Need to pre book visit. Read full review
- Sweet-like-cherriesLincolnshire, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayOnly visited tearoomSunday, 13th September 2020We came to use the tearoom alone as we really fancied a scone and a cuppa. And we were majorly disappointed. When it's advertised as a tearoom, we expected a tearoom, not a café. There was 2 scone... Read full review
- bratty123London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBeautiful Castle and GardensTuesday, 15th September 2020Definitely worth a visit. The inside of the castle is stunning and the scenery is beautiful. Lots of red deer in the park and the gardens are very well kept. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Onsite
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Village Location
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
|Park and Woodland Area - Open Daily (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Walled Gardens - Open Daily from 10am , 7 days a week from beginning of March to the end of October. (2 Mar 2020 - 30 Sept 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 10:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 10:00|
|Castle July/Aug (1 July 2021 - 31 Aug 2021)|
|Wednesday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:00|
* Raby Castle will open Wednesday to Sunday from 11:00 to 16:00. A one-way system is in place for visitors to the Castle to support social distancing.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.