Uncover history at Raby Castle. Built by the mighty Nevills in the 14th Century, and home to Lord Barnard’s family since 1626, you’ll be fascinated as knowledgeable and friendly Guides help bring history to life with guided tours of the halls and chambers which house fabulous interiors, art collections and dramatic architecture. Outdoors, enjoy a stroll and spot wildlife in the 200 acre Deer Park, relax in the 18th century Walled Gardens, discover the Carriage Collection or explore the Woodland Play Area. A visit to the Stables Cafe and a browse around the Shop all combine for a memorable day out.
Tickets can now be purchased near the entrance to the Walled Gardens. This means you can access the Stables Cafe, Shop and Woodland Play Area completely free of charge, so if you want to come for lunch or a slice of cake with some friends, you can do so without paying admission.
The ticket office is located in a horse box-style trailer, and a similar trailer also houses a new take-away stand offering drinks and snacks. You can enjoy these in the new outdoor covered seating area in front of the stable block. The perfect place for a glass of wine in the sun or coffee and cake before a walk with the dog. As well as the new trailer, our Stables Cafe menu has been offers a delicious selection of lunches, cakes, snacks and afternoon tea. A fantastic range of coffees, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are also available; adding a glass of prosecco to your afternoon tea will make the perfect treat or gift. The Stables Cafe is open seven days a week from 10am.
The Shop offers a new garden section this year with beautiful Spring plants to brighten your home.
The Park and Woodland Play Area are open all year.
The Gardens are open on Saturday 2 March until the end of October.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Walled Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good214
- db90xNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFireside stories with santaSaturday, 11th January 2020Came here just before Christmas and we absolutely loved santa and his helpers. My little girl is only 3 so she didn't really care about the story of cinderella and just wanted to see santa but non... Read full review
- JasonPeacock7Thornaby on Tees, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayStunning castleSunday, 12th January 2020We visited on a cold day in January, The cafe was open and tucked into a sausage sandwich and a great coffee. Off to the castle for a walk round, the castle was closed, which we knew, but best to... Read full review
- BennettbrianHebburn, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA Beautiful SettingMonday, 20th January 2020We visited in January and there was no access to the castle, only the external areas. (£4.50 cover charge, which isn’t too bad). The grounds are beautiful with the impressive castle standing above... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Onsite
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Village Location
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
|Castle closed (30 Sept 2019 - 1 Apr 2020)|
|Park and Woodland Area - Open Daily (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Walled Gardens - Open Daily from 10am , 7 days a week from beginning of March to the end of October. (2 Mar 2020 - 30 Sept 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 10:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 10:00|
|Castle July/Aug (1 July 2020 - 31 Aug 2020)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:30|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.