Uncover history at Raby Castle. Built by the mighty Nevills in the 14th Century, and home to Lord Barnard’s family since 1626, you’ll be fascinated as knowledgeable and friendly Guides help bring history to life with guided tours of the halls and chambers which house fabulous interiors, art collections and dramatic architecture. Outdoors, enjoy a stroll and spot wildlife in the deer park, relax in the walled gardens, discover the Carriage Collection or explore the Woodland Play Area. A visit to the Tearoom and a browse around the gift shop all combine for a memorable day out.
Tickets can now be purchased near the entrance to the Walled Gardens. This means you can access the Tearooms, Woodland Play Area and Gift Shop completely free of charge, so if you want to come for lunch or a slice of cake with some friends, you can do so without paying admission.
Our new ticket office is in a horse box-style trailer, and a similar trailer also houses a new take-away stand offering drinks and snacks. You can enjoy these in the new outdoor covered seating area in front of the stable block. The perfect place for a glass of wine in the sun or coffee and cake before a walk with the dog. As well as the new trailer, our Tearooms menu has been revamped and offers a delicious selection of lunches, cakes, snacks and afternoon tea. A fantastic range of coffees, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are also available; adding a glass of prosecco to your afternoon tea will make the perfect treat or gift. The Tearooms will be open seven days a week from 9am.
The Gift shop will also be offering a new garden section this year with beautiful Spring plants to brighten your home.
The Park and Woodland Play Area are open all year. The Gardens re-open on Saturday 2 March until the end of October.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Walled Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good207
- Sue FBishop Auckland, United KingdomExcellent day outWednesday, 11th September 2019Raby Castle is an absolute delight to go around. It is even better when you book the tour and you are lucky enough to have Nick as your guide. He made the history of the Castle so easy to... Read full review
- K3408OAjulierNewport, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayLovely late summer visit to the castleThursday, 12th September 2019I’d visited before in early spring for a walk around the grounds and use the tea room. This time it was more in-depth tour. Started with the traditional cuppa and would recommend the scones they... Read full review
- carolinewolversonCottingham, United KingdomHidden gemSunday, 15th September 2019This is really worth a visit. Pretty gardens and an amazing castle well preserved with knowledgable volunteers to provide information in each room. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
|Park and Woodland Area - Open Daily (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Walled Gardens - Open Daily from 10am (2 Mar 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 10:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 10:00|
|Castle/ September (1 Sept 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
|Wednesday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:30|
|Castle July/Aug (1 July 2020 - 31 Aug 2020)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||11:00||- 16:30|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.