Uncover history at Raby Castle. Built by the mighty Nevills in the 14th Century, and home to Lord Barnard’s family since 1626, you’ll be fascinated as knowledgeable and friendly Guides help bring history to life with guided tours of the halls and chambers which house fabulous interiors, art collections and dramatic architecture. Outdoors, enjoy a stroll and spot wildlife in the deer park, relax in the walled gardens, discover the Carriage Collection or explore the Woodland Play Area. A visit to the Tearoom and a browse around the gift shop all combine for a memorable day out.
Tickets can now be purchased near the entrance to the Walled Gardens. This means you can access the Tearooms, Woodland Play Area and Gift Shop completely free of charge, so if you want to come for lunch or a slice of cake with some friends, you can do so without paying admission.
Our new ticket office is in a horse box-style trailer, and a similar trailer also houses a new take-away stand offering drinks and snacks. You can enjoy these in the new outdoor covered seating area in front of the stable block. The perfect place for a glass of wine in the sun or coffee and cake before a walk with the dog. As well as the new trailer, our Tearooms menu has been revamped and offers a delicious selection of lunches, cakes, snacks and afternoon tea. A fantastic range of coffees, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are also available; adding a glass of prosecco to your afternoon tea will make the perfect treat or gift. The Tearooms will be open seven days a week from 9am.
The Gift shop will also be offering a new garden section this year with beautiful Spring plants to brighten your home.
The Park and Woodland Play Area are open all year. The Gardens re-open on Saturday 2 March until the end of October.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Walled Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good191
- Jacek LDarlington UkTrip Type:FamilyUnfriendly placeSaturday, 20th April 2019We came 10 mins before 4 PM and they trated us badly as they wanted to close it and go home. I have never seen so bad manners and grumpy people. So disappointing. Typical lack of respect to non... Read full review
- David CTrip Type:FamilyOver-priced and not worth the entrance fee.Sunday, 21st April 2019The castle looks magnificent as you approach it with the cricket ground next to it making a lovely setting. However that is as good as it gets as the entry fee is rather expensive for what you then... Read full review
- NicjwebsterPenrith, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGreat family day in a beautiful settingMonday, 22nd April 2019We visited over the Easter weekend with an 8 and 10 year old and their grandparents and there was something for everyone. The castle is stunning and there are knowledgable and friendly staff in every... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
|Park and Woodland Area (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Castle (Weekends only until April then Wed - Sun to Sept) (2 Mar 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
|Gardens (Weekends only until April then Wed - Sun to Sept) (2 Mar 2019 - 30 Sept 2019)|
* Raby Castle and Gardens re-open for weekends in March 2019 and are then open Wednesdays to Sundays from April to September (as well as Tuesdays in July and August). Open bank holidays.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.