**Following the latest Government announcement, we can confirm that our outdoor spaces at both Raby Castle and High Force will remain open to allow visitors to exercise locally. Our takeaway outlets will still offer limited food and drink.
The latest Government guidance allows for the outdoor areas at Raby Castle and High Force to remain open, with our strict Covid measures in place. We were among the first to receive the Good to Go certification from Visit England in recognition of the measures we have taken to meet Government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, and we continue to uphold these high standards to keep our visitors, and our team, safe.
We know how important it is for visitors to have continued access to safe open space at this time and we hope that you will enjoy our beautiful outdoor spaces for exercise. Visitors are asked to maintain a 2-metre distance from others at all times and to observe the measures we have put in place to keep everyone safe. When visiting to exercise you must only mix with your household (or support bubble), or one other person. Visitors must not meet other households socially at Raby or High Force at this time.
Raby Castle, The Stables Shop and High Force Hotel remain closed. Please check website for further updates - https://www.raby.co.uk/coronavirus/ **
Uncover history at Raby Castle. Built by the mighty Nevills in the 14th Century, and home to Lord Barnard’s family since 1626, you’ll be fascinated as knowledgeable and friendly Guides help bring history to life with guided tours of the halls and chambers which house fabulous interiors, art collections and dramatic architecture. Outdoors, enjoy a stroll and spot wildlife in the 200 acre Deer Park, relax in the 18th century Walled Gardens, discover the Carriage Collection or explore the Woodland Play Area. A visit to the Stables Cafe and a browse around the Shop all combine for a memorable day out.
Tickets can now be purchased near the entrance to the Walled Gardens. This means you can access the Stables Cafe, Shop and Woodland Play Area completely free of charge, so if you want to come for lunch or a slice of cake with some friends, you can do so without paying admission.
The ticket office is located in a horse box-style trailer, and a similar trailer also houses a new take-away stand offering drinks and snacks. You can enjoy these in the new outdoor covered seating area in front of the stable block. The perfect place for a glass of wine in the sun or coffee and cake before a walk with the dog. As well as the new trailer, our Stables Cafe menu has been offers a delicious selection of lunches, cakes, snacks and afternoon tea. A fantastic range of coffees, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are also available; adding a glass of prosecco to your afternoon tea will make the perfect treat or gift. The Stables Cafe is open seven days a week from 10am.
The Shop offers a new garden section this year with beautiful Spring plants to brighten your home.
The Park and Woodland Play Area are open all year until 24 December.
The Walled Gardens are open until 24 December.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Castle, Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child 5-15 - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Deer Park & Walled Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Walled Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Walled Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
Park and Gardens tickets are half price throughout November and December.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good227
- MissAmyLouiseLambNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBeautiful placeMonday, 9th November 2020We visited the walled Gardens and park because the castle is closed due to covid restrictions. The place is so beautiful and well kept, the deers were also a lovely surprise to find on our walk. You... Read full review
- 167SteveB167Trip Type:FamilyXmas VisitSunday, 6th December 2020Had a wonderful trip to Raby to visit Father Christmas with our two young children. The grounds were beautiful and had a lovely festive feel. The 14th Century castle is stunning and we enjoyed the... Read full review
- Stacey2783Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely winter walkWednesday, 23rd December 2020Fantastic place for a winter walk. Plenty of open space so staying away from other visitors was easy. Beautiful grounds and so much wildlife to be seen around the deer park. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Onsite
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction
- Village Location
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
|Park and Woodland Area - Open Daily (1 Jan 2021 - 24 Dec 2021)|
|Walled Gardens - Open Daily (2 Mar 2021 - 24 Dec 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 10:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 10:00|
* The whole site closes at the end of the day on Christmas Eve, the Park will reopen on 1st January 2021. The Castle will close 1st November to prepare for Christmas at the Castle which starts 1st December.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.