Gibside is one of a few surviving 18th-century designed landscapes and was fashioned with two things in mind: spectacular views and ‘wow’ moments.
The estate, commissioned by coal baron George Bowes, offers a glimpse into the past and the compelling story of heiress Mary Eleanor Bowes.
Here, you can escape the hustle and bustle of modern life within 243 hectares (600 acres) of gardens, woodland and countryside – perfect for wildlife spotting. Highlights include a Neo-classical chapel, restored stable block and grand ruin.
Discover fine Derwent Valley views, winding paths and refreshing open spaces. Escape along the avenue and around the gardens for miles of tranquil walks and picnic spots or enjoy family fun at Strawberry Castle play area.
If you require assistance of any kind please get in touch by ringing 01207 541820.
We welcome all dogs to Gibside and know that it's a great place for them to enjoy as much as their humans do. We do ask that they are kept on leads and that you clean up after them. They are also welcome to join you at the outdoor seating areas of the cafes.
Food & Drink at Gibside
Found in market place, the main cafe (known as The Potting Shed cafe) is where we serve the widest choice of food. Below there's more details on what's on offer.
Throughout the day there is a range of hot and cold drinks served throughout the day too.
As part of summer nights we're open until 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays serving ales, lager, wine and more, until 14 September. (Free for National Trust members or normal admission charges apply.)
Shopping at Gibside
Gibside shop is a little on the small side however, we've got locally produced gifts and treats alongside popular National Trust items such as rugs, a range of books, jams and more. There's also everything you need to enjoy your visit at Gibside.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Child||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family||£30.00 per ticket type|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good218
- geoffreyb127Durham, United KingdomStill a delightful National Trust propertyFriday, 20th March 2020We have just returned from a brief vist to Gibside. As announced by the National Trust, many areas are closed: the visitor reception, the chapel, the cafés, the children's play areas etc.. But, for... Read full review
- Charlot329Spennymoor, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWaste of timeSunday, 22nd March 2020The NT are advertising that their garden properties are still open for people to enjoy yet we travelled there & the gates are all locked! Clearly don’t want to actually lose out on the parking... Read full review
- derewilsonNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomBrilliant day outThursday, 25th June 2020Back to Gibside first time this year, picked a brilliant day as the weather was so hot you need to book your slot, but the staff are fantastic and the area is great toilets open and the cafe. only... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted
- Family Fun