Tel: +44 0870 333 1181
Egglestone is situated above the River Tees about a mile south-east of Barnard Castle. The abbey has a fairly unconventional plan, with its church on the south side of the cloister.
The charming ruins of a small monastery of Premonstratensian 'white canons', picturesquely set above a bend in the River Tees near Barnard Castle. Remains include much of the 13thC church and a range of living quarters, with traces of their ingenious toilet drainage system.
Disabled access is limited.
Become an English Heritage member and enjoy unlimited access to hundreds of historical sites with free entry for up to six children. Join today.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good119
- Stephen OHullTrip Type:Friends getawayA good destinationSunday, 30th October 2022This is an easy walk away from Bernard Castle alongside the river and On a good day this is probably the best way to enjoy it. There is a reasonable amount of the structure still remaining but 30... Read full review
- Jaq1967Essex, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRecommended.Monday, 3rd April 2023Very large and impressive. Picturesque and certainly worth the visit on a nice sunny day. A highly recommended visit this. Read full review
- Kevin SPontypridd, United KingdomSurrounded by farm fields....Saturday, 3rd June 2023Surrounded by farm fields in a nice quite remote location the Abbey is a compete ruin. Just a few of the tall walls remain to give an image of how it would have been, massively impressive in its day... Read full review
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Car parking is available on site with a £2 charge for non-members payable by text. Parking is free for Members with a valid English Heritage car sticker on display.
- Dogs Accepted - Dogs on leads are welcome.
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* Open daily, 10am-6pm. £2 parking charge applies to non-members.