Egglestone is situated above the River Tees about a mile south-east of Barnard Castle. The abbey has a fairly unconventional plan, with its church on the south side of the cloister.
The charming ruins of a small monastery of Premonstratensian 'white canons', picturesquely set above a bend in the River Tees near Barnard Castle. Remains include much of the 13thC church and a range of living quarters, with traces of their ingenious toilet drainage system.
Disabled access is limited.
Become an English Heritage member and enjoy unlimited access to hundreds of historical sites with free entry for up to six children. Join today.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good120
- Steve LStockport, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFab free hidden gem close to Barnard castleMonday, 28th August 2023Scenic pit stop and great history along the Barnard Castle to Abbey Bridge Circular walk. Easily consumes 30 to 60 mins of meandering around the ruins and reading the information plaques - very... Read full review
- Delius17LondonStunning settingThursday, 28th September 2023Dramatic setting on a bend. Free parking and free to wander round the ruins. Perfect for a nice walk in the sunshine or even in the rain… Read full review
- Felixstowe2016Felixstowe, United KingdomBack after 35 yearsTuesday, 10th October 2023Came here some 35 years ago and not much has changed other than the car park. Still worth a visit though. Read full review
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Car parking is available on site with a £2 charge for non-members payable by text. Parking is free for Members with a valid English Heritage car sticker on display.
- Dogs Accepted - Dogs on leads are welcome.
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)|
* Open daily, 10am-6pm. £2 parking charge applies to non-members.