East Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s Harbour Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast and is County Durham's only port.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good27
- Dr_WaughNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGood Friday visitFriday, 19th April 2019A lovely visit to see some of the heritage of the area. There is a good amount of information about the history of lifeboat provision and rescues made over the years. Definitely one to do if it’s... Read full review
- John BSeaham, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelA real living historyTuesday, 7th May 2019The star of the show is the George Elmy, fully restored, having been almost destroyed by the weather in a rescue where all but one on board lost their lives, in the November of 1962. The boat was... Read full review
- toko_1965Barnard Castle, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFully restoredSaturday, 15th June 2019Worth a visit ...it's free and good to show the kids. The George Emily is fully restored and it's history has been well explained. There is a parking area and a good area to hang out with family. Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||11:00||- 15:00|