East Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s Harbour Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast and is County Durham's only port.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good27
- Paul FChesterfield, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelLovely place full of historTuesday, 12th March 2019This place is quite easy to find turning down towards the coast following the sign posts for the marina. Ample free parking out of season and the museum is nestled below the cliff and wall. The... Read full review
- Vacationer43391Seaham, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayfamily visitMonday, 15th April 2019stunning reclamation project . I was fishing the day this tragic event happened and it brings back many memories Read full review
- Dr_WaughNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyGood Friday visitFriday, 19th April 2019A lovely visit to see some of the heritage of the area. There is a good amount of information about the history of lifeboat provision and rescues made over the years. Definitely one to do if it’s... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||11:00||- 15:00|