East Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s Harbour Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast and is County Durham's only port.
The Centre provides educational visit facilities for both school and adult groups on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
The East Durham Heritage & Lifeboat Centre is managed and staffed solely by volunteers of the East Durham Heritage Group and enthusiastic new volunteers are always needed. If members of the public feel they would like to help then they should please visit the Centre.
Our aim is to collect and preserve information and artefacts relating to Seaham’s heritage and make it available to all generations as an educational facility. “Without knowing our past how can we know and appreciate our present and future?”
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good28
- morebeernowLisburn, United KingdomFascinating attractionTuesday, 5th November 2019We called in by chance and were treated to a detailed explanation from one of the staff as to the history of the lifeboat, and how it came back to Seaham, and the complexities and challenges of the... Read full review
- CTH8United KingdomLovely piece of History restoredWednesday, 6th November 2019The History of this amazing Lifeboat is very interesting, this Lifeboat has travelled all over the country and has had several uses since it's sad breaking up on the rocks at Seaham. This Museum is... Read full review
- geralindUnited KingdomWell maintained and atmospheric piece of History. A must to visit if in the areaTuesday, 12th November 2019I had no idea of the history of this former lifeboat station and the tragedy that befell this lifeboat and her crew. Largely overshadowed by the tragedy of the Penlee (Newlyn,Cornwall... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
|Season (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||11:00||- 15:00|