East Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s Harbour Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast and is County Durham's only port.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good18
- Hayley GLeicesterTrip Type:CouplesA lovely morning spent hereSunday, 5th November 2017Well worth a visit. The staff/volunteers are lovely: really friendly and welcoming and really knowledgeable about local history. It’s a great place to learn about the Durham coast and the history... Read full review
- jeand1624Trip Type:Friends getawayGreat workSunday, 24th September 2017They do amazing work. Nice little gift shop and interesting pictures around the walls. The RNLI are giving small jars to anyone who would like one and asking people to fill it with 5p pieces and... Read full review
- macallpockDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:Couplesyo ho hoSunday, 3rd September 2017really liked this centre,lovely sunny day,with lots to see.families with children enjoying the galleon,all the staff dressed in nautical attire for that period.good gift shop and very spacious café... Read full review
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
|2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||10:00||- 15:00|