Bowlees Visitor Centre to Gibsons Cave
OS MAP: OL 31 OR OS 92
Tel: +44 01833 622145
Centuries ago Viking invaders and settlers left their mark in the local dialect words of the Durham Dales. The Old Norse word “foss” referred to a waterfall and still it echoes down the ages in the modern word “force”. Close to Bowlees Visitor Centre a short walk leads to the local beauty spot of Summerhill Force and behind the veil of water is the dramatic overhanging rock known as Gibsons Cave.
Donate and display car parking.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2022
- Very Good88
- Julian RCarlux, FranceTrip Type:CouplesGreat findTuesday, 8th November 2022Started our visit to Low and High Falls from here. Plenty of parking without the risks of the fines at High Falls. You make a donation. Staff in the visitors centre really helpful and nice... Read full review
- E9513EXjatTrip Type:CouplesA welcome stop.Sunday, 29th January 2023Smashing place to grab a cuppa, a plated lunch, a hot bowl of soup or, given the weather, an ice-cream. Friendly, welcoming & helpful staff. Also small but interesting exhibition area & shop. A good... Read full review
- janehT2832KTTrip Type:FamilyGreat visitor centreThursday, 23rd February 2023Great visitor centre with information about local and not so local walks in the area. Great cafe and very helpful staff. Nice little shop with a variety of gifts, cards, crafts and postcards. Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* Bowlees Visitor Centre currently closed but car park is open.
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton-in-Teesdale . Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.