AboutThe massive ruins of Henry II's 12thC tower keep, set within the earthworks of a Roman fort guarding the strategic Stainmore Pass over the Pennines.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good19
- Jeni RTrip Type:CouplesNice to wander aroundSunday, 26th August 2018The castle was just a 2min walk up from our holiday rental (Hilltop Cottage: highly recommended) It’s unmanned and although there’s only one info board, it’s nice to just wander around on your own... Read full review
- Sarahh-JaneBowes, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFree HistoryWednesday, 8th August 2018Something to do locally which is free of charge- great if you like history with boards explaining everything. Read full review
- Lucky13sTamworth, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayRuined CastleTuesday, 3rd July 2018An unmanned English Heritage site, this ruin has lovely views but is sadly lacking in enough information to give you a sense of its place and purpose. Parking on the narrow main road could be a... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Dogs Accepted - Dogs allowed on leads.
|Open all year (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Open all year, daily, at any reasonable time during daylight hours.