AboutThe massive ruins of Henry II's 12thC tower keep, set within the earthworks of a Roman fort guarding the strategic Stainmore Pass over the Pennines.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good21
- Jeni RTrip Type:CouplesNice to wander aroundSunday, 26th August 2018The castle was just a 2min walk up from our holiday rental (Hilltop Cottage: highly recommended) It’s unmanned and although there’s only one info board, it’s nice to just wander around on your own... Read full review
- BeertahCambridge, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWorth seeing if in BowesSunday, 14th October 2018Interesting ruins of an old castle - well worth seeing if you are in Bowes and have a few minutes to spare but I wouldn’t travel far and wide to get to it. Read full review
- joycep883Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaTrip Type:CouplesRuinsSunday, 21st October 2018Bowes Castle is just ruins that seems neglected. I think the problem is that there is just too many castles and ruins and it gets lost amongst the other castles in County Durham. My suggestion if... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Dogs Accepted - Dogs allowed on leads.
|Open all year (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Open all year, daily, at any reasonable time during daylight hours.
Map & Directions
In Bowes village, off A66; 4 miles west of Barnard Castle town.
Public Transport Directions
Bus: Hodgson's 72, 574 from Barnard Castle.