AboutThe massive ruins of Henry II's 12thC tower keep, set within the earthworks of a Roman fort guarding the strategic Stainmore Pass over the Pennines.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good17
- Lucky13sTamworth, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayRuined CastleTuesday, 3rd July 2018An unmanned English Heritage site, this ruin has lovely views but is sadly lacking in enough information to give you a sense of its place and purpose. Parking on the narrow main road could be a... Read full review
- KevinSadler2364Leicester, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelNot much leftSunday, 3rd June 2018There's little left of Bowes Castle, so you really have to use your imagination to envisage what it must have been like in its hey day. It once guarded one of the main routes through the Pennines... Read full review
- mark wYarm, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesNot a place for a miserable weather day in March and not much to seeFriday, 4th May 2018We visited late morning on a grey wintery day on a Friday. It was not obvious where the place was or where to park. We parked on the limited available space on the high street. Limited car parking... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Dogs Accepted - Dogs allowed on leads.
|Open all year (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Open all year, daily, at any reasonable time during daylight hours.