This route is 2 3/4 miles (4 1/2 km) that is fairly easy and should only take 1 hour. It passes close to Auckland Castle and Binchester Roman Fort.
1. From the Market Place, head down along Wear Chare (beside the Sportsman Inn) then turn right along the riverside road.
2. Leave the road after Jock’s Bridge (at the confluence of the rivers Gaunless and Wear). Follow the path alongside the stone wall on your right, heading up and round to the right.
3. Continue on gradually heading uphill alongside the wall / fence – do not enter the penned area – to reach a bridge across the former railway line.
4. Turn right along the railway track.
5. Turn right immediately after the golf course.
6. Cross the golf club road and continue straight on down to reach the main road (take care).
7. Turn right along the road then right again back into the Market Place.
- Distance: 1-5 Miles
- Route Surface: Off Road
- On-Site café/restaurant - There are various shops, pubs, restaurants, cafés and fast food restaurants in Bishop Auckland, particularly around the Market Place.
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - There are several large car parks throughout the Town Centre, or there is also parking at The Batts beside the River Wear, charges may apply.
- Toilets - There are Public Conveniences at the Bus Station.
- Grade (Easy)
- In countryside
- In town/city centre
- Outdoor Attraction
- Time (1 hour or Less)
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|