A spectacular fortress set on a high rock above the market town, Barnard Castle takes you back to the 12th century. Spot Richard III’s boar emblem carving, enjoy the sensory garden and stunning views of this riverside location.
Ruined castle overlooking the River Tees. Remains include 14thC great hall, 3-storey keep and circular round tower which inspired Sir Walter Scott (Rokeby).
Set on a high rock above the River Tees, imposing Barnard Castle was the stronghold of the Balliol family. Taking its name from Bernard de Balliol, who rebuilt it in the 12thC, it includes a fine great hall and a dominating round-towered keep.
Unsuccessfully besieged by the Scots in 1216, it was confiscated when John de Balliol, briefly King of Scotland, was deposed by Edward I. It last saw action during the Northern Rising against Queen Elizabeth in 1569, surrendering to 5,000 rebels, and was partly dismantled in 1630 to furnish materials for Sir Henry Vane's new Raby Castle.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult (including gift aid)||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child (5-15 years) (including gift aid)||£3.60 per ticket type|
|Concession (including gift aid)||£5.40 per ticket type|
|Family (including gift aid)||£15.60 per ticket type|
Free admission for English Heritage members. Adults (excluding gift aid) £5.40, children (excluding gift aid) £3.20, Concessions (excluding gift aid) £4.90, Family (excluding gift aid) £14.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good280
- kilchurncastleArvada, ColoradoTrip Type:FamilyInteresting placeFriday, 21st September 2018Bernard castle ruins are not to be missed if you are staying in the town, which is I interesting in it's own right as it was a market town. The castle is an easy walk from the high street and not... Read full review
- divelivelyKingston-upon-Hull, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayMedieval Castle Ruins worth a visitSunday, 16th September 2018As with virtually all medieval castles this is something of a ruin and coommands an imposing position above the river with a number of fine views from the remains of the castle walls. Much of the... Read full review
- Joyce PTrip Type:CouplesOld ruinsFriday, 14th September 2018Barnard Castle is what's left of a historic castle.it is mostly ruins but still worth the time to visit and take pictures . Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Picnic Site
|Nov 2017-Mar 2019 (1 Nov 2018 - 31 Mar 2019)|
|Monday - Friday||Closed|
|Saturday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Last admission 30 minutes before closing. Closed 24-25, 31 Dec, 1 Jan.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1. In Barnard Castle town centre.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station at Darlington.