A spectacular fortress set on a high rock above the market town, Barnard Castle takes you back to the 12th century. Spot Richard III’s boar emblem carving, enjoy the sensory garden and stunning views of this riverside location.
Ruined castle overlooking the River Tees. Remains include 14thC great hall, 3-storey keep and circular round tower which inspired Sir Walter Scott (Rokeby).
Set on a high rock above the River Tees, imposing Barnard Castle was the stronghold of the Balliol family. Taking its name from Bernard de Balliol, who rebuilt it in the 12thC, it includes a fine great hall and a dominating round-towered keep.
Unsuccessfully besieged by the Scots in 1216, it was confiscated when John de Balliol, briefly King of Scotland, was deposed by Edward I. It last saw action during the Northern Rising against Queen Elizabeth in 1569, surrendering to 5,000 rebels, and was partly dismantled in 1630 to furnish materials for Sir Henry Vane's new Raby Castle.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult (including gift aid)||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child (5-15 years) (including gift aid)||£3.60 per ticket type|
|Concession (including gift aid)||£5.40 per ticket type|
|Family (including gift aid)||£15.60 per ticket type|
Free admission for English Heritage members. Adults (excluding gift aid) £5.40, children (excluding gift aid) £3.20, Concessions (excluding gift aid) £4.90, Family (excluding gift aid) £14.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good311
- jacquelinee930Trip Type:CouplesSpectacular LocationWednesday, 21st October 2020Remains of what must have been a very imposing pile in its heyday. Greeted by a very friendly young lady, who assured us that it wasn’t a problem that we had arrived early for our pre booked visit... Read full review
- MrwstoweBurnley, United KingdomWeek end awayFriday, 23rd October 2020This place is steeped in history, the castle is a great place to enjoy, the town/village is great quirky place with costa in the middle of the main rd well worth a visit, the views are to die for... Read full review
- Tazza786Ilford, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelEngland's Finest Eye Test VenueSaturday, 14th November 2020I always come to Barnard Castle to test my eyesight. Always have and will always continue to do so. The Castle's not bad either. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Picnic Site
|April 2020 (1 Apr 2019 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Last admission 30 minutes before closing. Closed 24-25, 31 Dec, 1 Jan. Times for 2020 to be announced.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1. In Barnard Castle town centre.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station at Darlington.