Tel: +44 01833 638212
A spectacular fortress set on a high rock above the market town, Barnard Castle takes you back to the 12th century. Spot Richard III’s boar emblem carving, enjoy the sensory garden and stunning views of this riverside location.
Ruined castle overlooking the River Tees. Remains include 14thC great hall, 3-storey keep and circular round tower which inspired Sir Walter Scott (Rokeby).
Set on a high rock above the River Tees, imposing Barnard Castle was the stronghold of the Balliol family. Taking its name from Bernard de Balliol, who rebuilt it in the 12thC, it includes a fine great hall and a dominating round-towered keep.
Unsuccessfully besieged by the Scots in 1216, it was confiscated when John de Balliol, briefly King of Scotland, was deposed by Edward I. It last saw action during the Northern Rising against Queen Elizabeth in 1569, surrendering to 5,000 rebels, and was partly dismantled in 1630 to furnish materials for Sir Henry Vane's new Raby Castle.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult (including gift aid)||£7.60 per ticket type|
|Child (5-17 years) (including gift aid)||£4.60 per ticket type|
|Concession (including gift aid)||£6.90 per ticket type|
|Family 1 adult, 3 children (including gift aid)||£12.20 per ticket type|
|Family 2 adults 3 children (including gift aid)||£19.80 per ticket type|
Please book in advance - https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/barnard-castle/
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2022
- Very Good327
- gillzagrebKinlochewe, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLovely staffThursday, 13th October 2022Really interesting castle much bigger than we were expecting. Stunning views of the autumn colored trees and down over the river and town. Read full review
- richard rBorgue, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDog friendly castle in a lovely market town.Sunday, 6th November 2022The castle is not.the biggest or best preserved, but still plenty to see on a fantastic site overlooking the river Tees. Different from many, it shows how a large walled area protected the towns... Read full review
- 943karllHong Kong, ChinaTrip Type:CouplesGreat castle to visitTuesday, 15th November 2022Very well preserved castle with a rich history. Well maintained grounds with access for mobility impaired. Staff were helpful. Toilet on site which is always a bonus. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Picnic Site
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* Please book in advance - https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/barnard-castle/
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1. In Barnard Castle town centre.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station at Darlington.