A spectacular fortress set on a high rock above the market town, Barnard Castle takes you back to the 12th century. Spot Richard III’s boar emblem carving, enjoy the sensory garden and stunning views of this riverside location.
Ruined castle overlooking the River Tees. Remains include 14thC great hall, 3-storey keep and circular round tower which inspired Sir Walter Scott (Rokeby).
Set on a high rock above the River Tees, imposing Barnard Castle was the stronghold of the Balliol family. Taking its name from Bernard de Balliol, who rebuilt it in the 12thC, it includes a fine great hall and a dominating round-towered keep.
Unsuccessfully besieged by the Scots in 1216, it was confiscated when John de Balliol, briefly King of Scotland, was deposed by Edward I. It last saw action during the Northern Rising against Queen Elizabeth in 1569, surrendering to 5,000 rebels, and was partly dismantled in 1630 to furnish materials for Sir Henry Vane's new Raby Castle.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult (including gift aid)||£7.60 per ticket type|
|Child (5-17 years) (including gift aid)||£4.60 per ticket type|
|Concession (including gift aid)||£6.90 per ticket type|
|Family 1 adult, 3 children (including gift aid)||£12.20 per ticket type|
|Family 2 adults 3 children (including gift aid)||£19.80 per ticket type|
Please book in advance - https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/barnard-castle/
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good315
- KAV1474cmp4Dundee, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyVery disappointingThursday, 8th July 2021The town is lovely with lots of cafes however the castle is a ruin which is expensive for what it is and we saw it in 20mins. Town worth a visit but not the castle, go to Raby Castle instead Read full review
- chrisdrums93Manchester, United KingdomCute and Historic!Friday, 23rd July 2021Such an amazing town with so much history. It is amazing to have the castle to walk next to on an evening stroll. Every intention of returning. Read full review
- geoffp548London, United KingdomA great castle to visit, in the middle of townFriday, 23rd July 2021A great hour or so spent exploring the extensive castle enclosures and buildings, fortifications and walls. There are interesting connections with Richard III. The location is dramatic and beautiful... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Picnic Site
|April 2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
* Please book in advance - https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/barnard-castle/
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1. In Barnard Castle town centre.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station at Darlington.