A spectacular fortress set on a high rock above the market town, Barnard Castle takes you back to the 12th century. Spot Richard III’s boar emblem carving, enjoy the sensory garden and stunning views of this riverside location.
Ruined castle overlooking the River Tees. Remains include 14thC great hall, 3-storey keep and circular round tower which inspired Sir Walter Scott (Rokeby).
Set on a high rock above the River Tees, imposing Barnard Castle was the stronghold of the Balliol family. Taking its name from Bernard de Balliol, who rebuilt it in the 12thC, it includes a fine great hall and a dominating round-towered keep.
Unsuccessfully besieged by the Scots in 1216, it was confiscated when John de Balliol, briefly King of Scotland, was deposed by Edward I. It last saw action during the Northern Rising against Queen Elizabeth in 1569, surrendering to 5,000 rebels, and was partly dismantled in 1630 to furnish materials for Sir Henry Vane's new Raby Castle.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult (including gift aid)||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child (5-15 years) (including gift aid)||£3.60 per ticket type|
|Concession (including gift aid)||£5.40 per ticket type|
|Family (including gift aid)||£15.60 per ticket type|
Free admission for English Heritage members. Adults (excluding gift aid) £5.40, children (excluding gift aid) £3.20, Concessions (excluding gift aid) £4.90, Family (excluding gift aid) £14.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good285
- cozgstockport englandTrip Type:CouplesOkSaturday, 3rd November 2018As the owners of nearby Raby castle took a lot of the stone from here after the place became unused a long time ago, it’s not got a lot left to see. Using the guidebook to read about the history of... Read full review
- machinmadNorwich, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInteresting walk ...Sunday, 4th November 2018From the town centre will followed the path to the riverside as directed by one of the many map info boards. It's a lovely vista, looking back and up at the castle monument. We liked the info boards... Read full review
- 2010mustangCheshire, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesExpensive admission fees to see ruinsMonday, 5th November 2018Located just behind the main shopping street, the castle site is large. However, there isn't much to see as most of the castle has gone and there are only small sections of remains left. I don't know... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Picnic Site
|Nov 2017-Mar 2019 (1 Nov 2018 - 31 Mar 2019)|
|Monday - Friday||Closed|
|Saturday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Last admission 30 minutes before closing. Closed 24-25, 31 Dec, 1 Jan.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1. In Barnard Castle town centre.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest rail station at Darlington.