Delightfully designed around a traditional courtyard setting, the Park Head Hotel and Restaurant has all the facilities one would expect from a modern city centre hotel whilst enjoying a delightful rural setting with views over County Durham. (Eight of the bedrooms are situated in the main hotel and reflect the heritage of the Park Head as an 18th century coaching inn whilst still offering all the necessary modern facilities).
With thirty-two spacious rooms, all en-suite and equipped with Freeview TV and a large restaurant and Sunday carvery the hotel has become a firm favourite with those seeking an overnight stay or a leisure break.
The hotel has a large Beer Garden and Children’s Play area, complimented by our award winning courtyard and gardens.
The Park Head is renowned for its food offerings, whether it’s from the famous Sunday carvery, or our excellent Bishops Grill restaurant. Every Sunday we offer the biggest and best carvery in the county with a choice of four joints of the finest English meats, all sourced within the local area and all complemented by a wide range of locally sourced vegetables. Afternoon teas are served from 12.00 till 4.00pm every Friday and Saturday.
We cater for most dietary requirements, vegetarian and gluten free options are always available.
The Park Head Hotel has a well earned reputation as one of the region's premier venues for all special occasions and conferencing. Our menus can be tailored to your own personal requirements.
The Oakland Suite can accommodate up to: 80 theatre style, 60 cabaret style, 60 private dining.
The Bishops Grill can accomodate up to 100 people.
The Durham Suite can accomodate up to 30 people.
The Carriage Room can accomodate up to 30 people.
Function rooms can also be combined, the Oakland Suite and Bishops Grill or the Durham Suite and the Carriage Room.
All of our function rooms are fully accessible.
Here in the North East we are proud of the large number of popular attractions available to visitors and The Park Head Hotel is ideally placed to take advantage of all the area has to offer, including:
• Auckland Castle
• Binchester Roman Fort
• Beamish, The North of England Open Air Museum
• Bowes Museum and the Silver Swan
• The National Railway Museum Shildon
• Crook Hall and Gardens
• Durham Dales and High Force
• Hamsterley Forest
• Raby Castle, Gardens and Medieval Kitchens
• The Ancient City of Durham, its Cathedral and Castle
• The Sage Gateshead and the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art
• Durham County Cricket Club
And further afield but easily accessible:
• Hadrians Wall
• Kielder Water
• The Holy Island of Lindisfarne
Parking is free of charge in our large secure car park.
Most of the hotel is disabled friendly, please see our access statement for more details.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Double en suite||£50.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Family en suite (Double+Single Bed)||£60.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||£40.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Triple En-Suite||£60.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*Single Occupancy £40-£60
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Northumbria in Bloom - Pubs and Hotels Silver 2017 2017
- Visit Britain We're Good To Go 2020
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good165
- Kelvin HDurham, United KingdomJust eaten hereWednesday, 26th August 2020From first entering I knew it was going to be a disaster. Staff don't know what each other are doing. Was asked if I would like to order 3 times by 3 different poeple after we had ordered. Thought... Read full review
- BrummiebearsBirmingham, United KingdomFamily Weekend visitSunday, 13th September 2020Stayed for a long weekend fist time in the area and in this hotel. We were greeted with a warm welcome and enjoyed excellent hospitality throughout our stay. All of the staff were so friendly and the... Read full review
- kirkish2912Trip Type:Solo travelPolite staff and reasonable food can't save this poor hotelMonday, 26th October 2020First the good bits. The staff are friendly, the food being thats its a standalone restaurant is reasonable but thats it. The hotel itself is awful. First room i checked into the lights didn't work... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- WiFi Available
|2021 (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Dec 2021)|
Map & Directions
On the A688 Bishop Auckland to Spennymoor road. One and a half miles from Bishop Auckland town centre.
Public Transport Directions
Well served by many public bus services. Visit www.arriva.com for full details. Durham Railway station is approximately 9 miles away Darlington Railway station is approximately 13 miles away