Situated in its own grounds close to junction 63 on the A1M overlooking Durham County Cricket Ground and the River Wear, Lumley Castle dates back over 600 years to the 14th Century. Lumley Castle is now a four star hotel with 73 luxurious en suite rooms all individually designed situated within the Castle and its adjoining Courtyard and Mews. The Black Knight Restaurant is set deep within the Castle and enjoys an excellent reputation locally and the Library Bar is atmospheric and comfortable.
Lumley Castle is an ideal location for leisure guests with the hotels quiet yet accessible location close to Durham (8 miles), Newcastle (11 miles) and Sunderland (12 miles) together with free Wi-Fi, free parking and a range of meeting and event rooms makes this a sensible overnight option.
Lumley Castle takes its name from its creator, Sir Ralph Lumley, a well-known and popular soldier, renowned for his bravery in battles. In 1388 he played a key role in the defence of Berwick-on-Tweed and led the attack at the Battle of Otterburn. If there was ever a place that lived up to the name 'No Ordinary Hotel' it is Lumley Castle.
- Arrival Date:
- Mon , 17th June 2019
- Departure Date:
- Tues , 18th June 2019
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Castle Feature Double en suite||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Mews||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Room||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||£79.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Suite||£440.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 4 AA Stars
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Quality Assured 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good661
- CEH63London, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSpecial BirthdayFriday, 31st May 2019I booked Lumley Castle Hotel to celebrate my Husbands Birthday. The surroundings are sublime. The public areas of the Castle are exquisite and are truly Mystical and Magical and comfortable. However... Read full review
- dreamo7Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomEngagement celebrationTuesday, 4th June 2019Stayed at Lumley for my daughters engagement treat. Beautiful luxurious rooms in both the castle and the courtyard. We also partook of the medeival banquet, which was good fun. Not so keen in the... Read full review
- KellyS6941Auckland Central, New ZealandTrip Type:Friends getawayFantastic stay at Lumley castleSunday, 9th June 2019I stayed with a friend in a twin castle room for one night at the end of May. While the castle was quite full due to a wedding we didn't feel that it was overcrowded and it hardly affected our stay... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Pets accepted
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists - Can store cycles on request.
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
Map & Directions
Follow A1(M) northbound. Take junction 63 signposted Riverside and Chester-le-Street, Lumley Castle Hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Station. Five miles north of A167. Chester-le-Street station one mile from the hotel.