Situated in its own grounds close to junction 63 on the A1M overlooking Durham County Cricket Ground and the River Wear, Lumley Castle dates back over 600 years to the 14th Century. Lumley Castle is now a four star hotel with 73 luxurious en suite rooms all individually designed situated within the Castle and its adjoining Courtyard and Mews. The Black Knight Restaurant is set deep within the Castle and enjoys an excellent reputation locally and the Library Bar is atmospheric and comfortable.
Lumley Castle is an ideal location for leisure guests with the hotels quiet yet accessible location close to Durham (8 miles), Newcastle (11 miles) and Sunderland (12 miles) together with free Wi-Fi, free parking and a range of meeting and event rooms makes this a sensible overnight option.
Lumley Castle takes its name from its creator, Sir Ralph Lumley, a well-known and popular soldier, renowned for his bravery in battles. In 1388 he played a key role in the defence of Berwick-on-Tweed and led the attack at the Battle of Otterburn. If there was ever a place that lived up to the name 'No Ordinary Hotel' it is Lumley Castle.
- Arrival Date:
- Thur , 21st Mar 2019
- Departure Date:
- Fri , 22nd Mar 2019
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Castle Feature Double en suite||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Mews||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Room||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||£79.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Suite||£440.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 4 AA Stars
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Quality Assured 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good648
- britton10Newcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAfternoon tea with Mary Poppins & BurtSunday, 17th March 2019Fabulous afternoon spent at Lumley Castle having unlimited coffee with our delicious afternoon tea with Mary Poppins & Burt. This was an early birthday present for our daughters 8th birthday this... Read full review
- 152dalelYork, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWeekend awaySunday, 17th March 2019Wanted to do something special for the wife for Valentine's. And boy did I find it. I found a offer that was to good to turn down and when we arrived I was like "wow" We arrived earlier then the... Read full review
- Sarah BNewcastle upon Tyne, England, United KingdomDisappointing afternoon teaMonday, 18th March 2019I thought this would be a real treat for a family birthday but ended up being quite disappointing. The surroundings and staff were great but the tea itself needs improving. Four finger sandwiches... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Pets accepted
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists - Can store cycles on request.
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
Map & Directions
Follow A1(M) northbound. Take junction 63 signposted Riverside and Chester-le-Street, Lumley Castle Hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Station. Five miles north of A167. Chester-le-Street station one mile from the hotel.