Situated in its own grounds close to junction 63 on the A1M overlooking Durham County Cricket Ground and the River Wear, Lumley Castle dates back over 600 years to the 14th Century. Lumley Castle is now a four star hotel with 73 luxurious en suite rooms all individually designed situated within the Castle and its adjoining Courtyard and Mews. The Black Knight Restaurant is set deep within the Castle and enjoys an excellent reputation locally and the Library Bar is atmospheric and comfortable.
Lumley Castle is an ideal location for leisure guests with the hotels quiet yet accessible location close to Durham (8 miles), Newcastle (11 miles) and Sunderland (12 miles) together with free Wi-Fi, free parking and a range of meeting and event rooms makes this a sensible overnight option.
Lumley Castle takes its name from its creator, Sir Ralph Lumley, a well-known and popular soldier, renowned for his bravery in battles. In 1388 he played a key role in the defence of Berwick-on-Tweed and led the attack at the Battle of Otterburn. If there was ever a place that lived up to the name 'No Ordinary Hotel' it is Lumley Castle.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Castle Feature Double en suite||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Mews||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Room||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||from £79.00 to £98.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Suite||£440.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 4 AA Stars
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Quality Assured 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good555
- Alyson EPeterleeTrip Type:FamilyFAMILY Christmas celebrationSunday, 10th December 2017We hired the Sceptre Suite for our family Christmas celebration this year and we had a fabulous evening. This Suite is for small intimate gatherings but creates a fantastic atmosphere. The food was... Read full review
- MysticdebbasinaSunderlandTrip Type:Friends getawayWish it was great...Sunday, 3rd December 2017Another return visit and yet again wowed by the venue and underwhelmed by the food... Green tea, at £2.95 for a Tetley green tea bag is just not what you want when there are so many fantastic green... Read full review
- InglannaTrip Type:Friends getawayA very poor afternoon teaWednesday, 29th November 2017I went to the afternoon tea/ Christmas fair yesterday and was very disappointed at the standard of the tea. No sandwiches, just small thinly filled wraps, over cooked dry scones, and a very poor... Read full review
- WiFi Available
- Access Statement - Please see below
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists - Can store cycles on request.
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2018)|
Map & Directions
Follow A1(M) northbound. Take junction 63 signposted Riverside and Chester-le-Street, Lumley Castle Hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Station. Five miles north of A167. Chester-le-Street station one mile from the hotel.