Situated in its own grounds close to junction 63 on the A1M overlooking Durham County Cricket Ground and the River Wear, Lumley Castle dates back over 600 years to the 14th Century. Lumley Castle is now a four star hotel with 73 luxurious en suite rooms all individually designed situated within the Castle and its adjoining Courtyard and Mews. The Black Knight Restaurant is set deep within the Castle and enjoys an excellent reputation locally and the Library Bar is atmospheric and comfortable.
Lumley Castle is an ideal location for leisure guests with the hotels quiet yet accessible location close to Durham (8 miles), Newcastle (11 miles) and Sunderland (12 miles) together with free Wi-Fi, free parking and a range of meeting and event rooms makes this a sensible overnight option.
Lumley Castle takes its name from its creator, Sir Ralph Lumley, a well-known and popular soldier, renowned for his bravery in battles. In 1388 he played a key role in the defence of Berwick-on-Tweed and led the attack at the Battle of Otterburn. If there was ever a place that lived up to the name 'No Ordinary Hotel' it is Lumley Castle.
- Arrival Date:
- Mon , 27th May 2019
- Departure Date:
- Tues , 28th May 2019
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Castle Feature Double en suite||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Mews||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Room||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||£79.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Suite||£440.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 4 AA Stars
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Quality Assured 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good660
- adamski82Stockport, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAlmost like time travelFriday, 24th May 2019I have never stayed anywhere like this before and loved the old features and furniture etc. The bar that looks like an old library was a nice place to have a drink, My Wife and I loved it and it was... Read full review
- shorthaul2015London, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayNo Ordinary HotelSaturday, 25th May 2019A wonderful castle, with lots to look at. The dining room for breakfast is very cosy and staff are very friendly and helpful. There is a lovely courtyard for sitting in and relaxing and another one... Read full review
- FlyingClogHoofddorp, The NetherlandsTrip Type:CouplesGreat surroundings and staff but not the full deal.Saturday, 25th May 2019A real castle in the heart of County Durham. Lovely country surroundings and an amazing property and history. Checking in was easy and staff very friendly. Room was in a block of 4 apartments in... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Pets accepted
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists - Can store cycles on request.
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
Map & Directions
Follow A1(M) northbound. Take junction 63 signposted Riverside and Chester-le-Street, Lumley Castle Hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Station. Five miles north of A167. Chester-le-Street station one mile from the hotel.