Situated in its own grounds close to junction 63 on the A1M overlooking Durham County Cricket Ground and the River Wear, Lumley Castle dates back over 600 years to the 14th Century. Lumley Castle is now a four star hotel with 73 luxurious en suite rooms all individually designed situated within the Castle and its adjoining Courtyard and Mews. The Black Knight Restaurant is set deep within the Castle and enjoys an excellent reputation locally and the Library Bar is atmospheric and comfortable.
Lumley Castle is an ideal location for leisure guests with the hotels quiet yet accessible location close to Durham (8 miles), Newcastle (11 miles) and Sunderland (12 miles) together with free Wi-Fi, free parking and a range of meeting and event rooms makes this a sensible overnight option.
Lumley Castle takes its name from its creator, Sir Ralph Lumley, a well-known and popular soldier, renowned for his bravery in battles. In 1388 he played a key role in the defence of Berwick-on-Tweed and led the attack at the Battle of Otterburn. If there was ever a place that lived up to the name 'No Ordinary Hotel' it is Lumley Castle.
- Arrival Date:
- Fri , 16th Nov 2018
- Departure Date:
- Sat , 17th Nov 2018
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Castle Feature Double en suite||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Mews||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Room||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||from £79.00 to £98.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Suite||£440.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 4 AA Stars
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Quality Assured 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good631
- B FManchester, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyQuite ExtraordinaryThursday, 8th November 2018The Castle looks impressive on arrival. Seen from a distance it is imposing, softened getting nearer by the pretty Golf Course below its battlements. I thought it was a mock Victorian pile, but no... Read full review
- Derek TLymington, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelNot a bit of plastic in sightSunday, 11th November 2018What a joy to experience this genuine castle built in 1389. I slept in the courtyard room which had been the old stables. Beamed ceilings and heavy curtains. The route to the resturant and the bars... Read full review
- Brian MDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWedding stayMonday, 12th November 2018Stayed here for a wedding night.Lovely atmosphere,lovely room,huge bed and beamed ceiling,well decorated and clean.Beautiful surroundings and the decor in the castle is true to a building of that... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Pets accepted
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists - Can store cycles on request.
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2018)|
Map & Directions
Follow A1(M) northbound. Take junction 63 signposted Riverside and Chester-le-Street, Lumley Castle Hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Station. Five miles north of A167. Chester-le-Street station one mile from the hotel.