Situated in its own grounds close to junction 63 on the A1M overlooking Durham County Cricket Ground and the River Wear, Lumley Castle dates back over 600 years to the 14th Century. Lumley Castle is now a four star hotel with 73 luxurious en suite rooms all individually designed situated within the Castle and its adjoining Courtyard and Mews. The Black Knight Restaurant is set deep within the Castle and enjoys an excellent reputation locally and the Library Bar is atmospheric and comfortable.
Lumley Castle is an ideal location for leisure guests with the hotels quiet yet accessible location close to Durham (8 miles), Newcastle (11 miles) and Sunderland (12 miles) together with free Wi-Fi, free parking and a range of meeting and event rooms makes this a sensible overnight option.
Lumley Castle takes its name from its creator, Sir Ralph Lumley, a well-known and popular soldier, renowned for his bravery in battles. In 1388 he played a key role in the defence of Berwick-on-Tweed and led the attack at the Battle of Otterburn. If there was ever a place that lived up to the name 'No Ordinary Hotel' it is Lumley Castle.
- Arrival Date:
- Thur , 22nd Aug 2019
- Departure Date:
- Fri , 23rd Aug 2019
- No. of Nights:
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Castle Feature Double en suite||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Mews||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Room||£99.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||£79.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Suite||£440.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 4 AA Stars
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Highest Quality Assured and Local Produce Champion 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good673
- OHalz82Middlesbrough, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesNice stay in Castle Double, but lager prices take the.....Sunday, 18th August 2019We stayed two nights in the castle double for one of the nights we booked the Romance at Lumley package! This consisted of Dinner, Bed and Breakfast,£60 credit for the dinner, bottle of Prosecco in... Read full review
- Theresa MBridlington, United KingdomFantastic Stay!Sunday, 18th August 2019My partner and myself stayed at the hotel for one night. We parked our car and proceeded to Reception to be greeted by a lovely lady on reception. She gave us the keys and asked if we would be dining... Read full review
- 646StevenS646Glasgow, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGood but not greatMonday, 19th August 2019My partner and I stayed here for a one night weekend getaway. The grounds and the property itself are really lovely and the interior of the main building itself is very dark and moody and perfectly... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Pets accepted
- WiFi Available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists - Can store cycles on request.
|2019 (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
Map & Directions
Follow A1(M) northbound. Take junction 63 signposted Riverside and Chester-le-Street, Lumley Castle Hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Station. Five miles north of A167. Chester-le-Street station one mile from the hotel.