Situated amidst stunning woodland, near to Low and High Force waterfalls and surrounded by rolling fields that boast some of the best hay meadows in England, Bowlees Visitor Centre has all you need to make your visit to the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty a memorable one.
The information centre, café, gift shop and picnic area are ideal for walkers and cyclists, and the centre is dog friendly. There’s also plenty to do for families with nature trails, wildlife spotting and a mud kitchen. Sit a while and discover nature from our birdwatching spots and wildlife areas, or walk to Low Force and High Force. After dark, experience the stars at our officially-designated Dark Sky Discovery Site.
The art gallery displays works by local artists, with exhibitions changing throughout the year.
There is free wifi and ample parking.
We run all kinds of events throughout the year and full details can be found on our website www.visitbowlees.org.uk.
Donate and display car parking.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good83
- John NCardiff, United KingdomVisit to High Force and Low Force waterfallsTuesday, 3rd March 2020We visited the centre and used this as a base for a lovely river walk to see the waterfalls. These were in full spate owing to the recent storms and were spectacular. The river walk was easy to do... Read full review
- Derek CPenrithAn excellent centre for visiting upper teesdaleWednesday, 18th March 2020The centre is an excellent place to start your visit to upper Teesdale. The helpful and knowledgeable staff will suggest a variety of activities and there is a wonderful cafe in the same... Read full review
- MarkofltcTrip Type:CouplesNice venueWednesday, 18th March 2020Stopped here for a walk with the dog and a look at low force. In the past we have stopped at high force and paid to park and then paid to walk to the falls and then got a fine of £60 for not paying... Read full review
- On-Site café/restaurant
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - Donation requested.
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed downstairs in visitor centre - includes cafe
|Mar - Sept (14 Mar 2020 - 30 Sept 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|October (1 Oct 2020 - 31 Oct 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:30|
|November Weekends Only (1 Nov 2020 - 30 Nov 2020)|
|Monday - Friday||Closed|
|Saturday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Shorter hours and weekend working may be introduced between Oct - Dec. Please confirm before visit 01833 622145
Map & Directions
From Barnard Castle take B6277 north west through Middleton-in-Teesdale . Visitor Centre is on right just past Newbiggin.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest railway station is Darlington Station.