Explore the colourful and dramatic landscape of Durham’s Heritage Coast with its beaches, rugged cliffs and imposing headlands. A truly stunning location, the Heritage Coast is recognised internationally for its rare plants and wildlife.
Follow the coastal path that runs along much of the coast leading you through a colourful mosaic of grasslands, wildflowers, flora and fauna, through areas of natural, historical and geological interest. Enjoy spectacular views along the coastline and out across the sea as the North Sea air blows away the cobwebs.
The limestone grasslands of the cliff tops are one of the UK's most protected habitats and home to unique and varied wildlife.
Inland from the coast are hidden denes containing remnants of ancient yew and ash woodland. The largest is the picturesque Castle Eden Dene, a National Nature Reserve with 550 acres of natural woodland and 12 miles of footpaths. A peaceful and tranquil place, it is home to over 450 species of plants and wild flowers, many of which are typical of ancient woodlands that date back to pre-medieval times.
Seaham is a lively harbour town on Durham’s Heritage Coast and is home to one of the oldest churches in the country and the iconic Seaham Hall Hotel, home to the award winning Serenity Spa.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good67
- millsonbandmAuckland, New ZealandHome away from HomeThursday, 4th October 2018This is beautiful scenery, the Durham coast. Although it may be nippy with the wind from the north Sea, the views are expansive and now that the coal is all gone, the beaches are clean and long... Read full review
- skelghylKinross, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSeaham is a charming and bustling seaside townThursday, 3rd January 2019This was a great find with many walks available especially on the beach to the north of the town and around the fairly new marina. Good shopping slightly inland at Dalton Park retail outlet. Read full review
- Dr_WaughNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelHeritage coastWednesday, 9th January 2019Seaham Hall beach is the gateway to the Durham heritage coast. This is a lovely area with beautiful and atmospheric views. Well worth the trip. Read full review
* 2006 Opening - 03 Jan 2006 - 23 Dec 2006
Monday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Tuesday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Wednesday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Thursday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Friday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Saturday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Sunday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
BankHoliday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00