Explore the colourful and dramatic landscape of Durham’s Heritage Coast with its beaches, rugged cliffs and imposing headlands. A truly stunning location, the Heritage Coast is recognised internationally for its rare plants and wildlife.
Follow the coastal path that runs along much of the coast leading you through a colourful mosaic of grasslands, wildflowers, flora and fauna, through areas of natural, historical and geological interest. Enjoy spectacular views along the coastline and out across the sea as the North Sea air blows away the cobwebs.
The limestone grasslands of the cliff tops are one of the UK's most protected habitats and home to unique and varied wildlife.
Inland from the coast are hidden denes containing remnants of ancient yew and ash woodland. The largest is the picturesque Castle Eden Dene, a National Nature Reserve with 550 acres of natural woodland and 12 miles of footpaths. A peaceful and tranquil place, it is home to over 450 species of plants and wild flowers, many of which are typical of ancient woodlands that date back to pre-medieval times.
Seaham is a lively harbour town on Durham’s Heritage Coast and is home to one of the oldest churches in the country and the iconic Seaham Hall Hotel, home to the award winning Serenity Spa.
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good70
- dramsmanHartlepool, United KingdomTrip Type:Coupleswinter time not as niceThursday, 7th March 2019this piece of heritage coast is lovely to walk, especially during the summer when it is adorned with wild flowers but! and this is a "Big But!" when we saw the amount of little plastic "Poop Bags... Read full review
- Jiya2018Trip Type:FamilyOne of the most gorgeous drivesTuesday, 19th March 2019More than just a place to visit . It is a road along the coast with some ethereal views from South Shield to Hartlepool! Read full review
- Travelingjohn123Peterlee, United KingdomBeautiful stretch of coastlineSunday, 24th March 2019Absolutely stunning and beautiful stretch of coastline. Crashing waves, nice cliff walks, sandy dunes and nice sand at Crimdon, rocky, shingle beaches, promenade and harbour at Seaham, Denes and... Read full review
* 2006 Opening - 03 Jan 2006 - 23 Dec 2006
Monday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Tuesday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Wednesday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Thursday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Friday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Saturday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Sunday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
BankHoliday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00