Explore the colourful and dramatic landscape of Durham’s Heritage Coast with its beaches, rugged cliffs and imposing headlands. A truly stunning location, the Heritage Coast is recognised internationally for its rare plants and wildlife.
Follow the coastal path that runs along much of the coast leading you through a colourful mosaic of grasslands, wildflowers, flora and fauna, through areas of natural, historical and geological interest. Enjoy spectacular views along the coastline and out across the sea as the North Sea air blows away the cobwebs.
The limestone grasslands of the cliff tops are one of the UK's most protected habitats and home to unique and varied wildlife.
Inland from the coast are hidden denes containing remnants of ancient yew and ash woodland. The largest is the picturesque Castle Eden Dene, a National Nature Reserve with 550 acres of natural woodland and 12 miles of footpaths. A peaceful and tranquil place, it is home to over 450 species of plants and wild flowers, many of which are typical of ancient woodlands that date back to pre-medieval times.
Seaham is a lively harbour town on Durham’s Heritage Coast and is home to one of the oldest churches in the country and the iconic Seaham Hall Hotel, home to the award winning Serenity Spa.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good72
- holidaymanWashingtonNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRugged BeautyTuesday, 30th April 2019The sea has done a magnificent job in regenerating this rugged coastline from an almost volcanic wasteland; so black was the sand from years of spoil, dumped there from the numerous pits that once... Read full review
- Graham KSarre, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWorth a tripMonday, 27th May 2019We walked North from Seaham - fine views to Sunderland, and on the way back waves crashing over the harbour wall. Choice of coffee spots. Read full review
- SharonJT67Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGorgeous coastlineSunday, 9th June 2019We parked up and cycled to Hawthorn Dene Meadow then all the walk along the coast to Vane Tempest beach & back, there was a nip in the air but the sun was warm & the outlook gorgeous, can’t think of... Read full review
* 2006 Opening - 03 Jan 2006 - 23 Dec 2006
Monday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Tuesday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Wednesday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Thursday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Friday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Saturday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Sunday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
BankHoliday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00