Tucked away in the charming village of Staindrop within the Durham Dales, this quaint 17th-century cottage is perfect for escaping everyday life for a while, enjoying some serious down-time or exploring everything County Durham has to offer - from natural wonders, historic towns and villages to some of the darkest, starriest skies in the country for some truly spectacular stargazing.
The single-story accommodation comprises one double bedroom with king-size bed; a fully-equipped kitchen; a warm, welcoming living room complete with a gas wood-style burner for that all-round snug sensation; a shower room and an enclosed patio area that overlooks burbling Langley Beck and the ancient estate walls of Raby Castle.
It’s a very cute, end-of-terrace property which blends all the charm and character of its venerable age with a range of contemporary living facilities. The original stone floors and ceiling beams are complemented by simple, stylish furnishings with an emphasis on cosiness, comfort and convenience.
Cottage facilities at a glance include: unlimited superfast broadband · 40" TV with Freeview and Fire TV Stick · DVD player · DAB radio/Bluetooth speaker/Hifi system · electric oven, gas hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine · gas central heating · bed linen and towels · welcome pack · on-road parking · no pets · no smoking · Dark Sky Friendly pack which includes binoculars, red-light torches, waterproof picnic rug, flasks, rucksack and a wealth of local stargazing information for guests' use and enjoyment · Walker-friendly pack which includes a comprehensive collection of maps and guides, picnic-ware, a waterproof map case, ordnance survey maps of the area, a basic first aid kit and muddy boot tray!
Staindrop itself is a pretty, busy, friendly village with a Spar grocery store and PO/newsagent for your convenience. For a greater range of local amenities, Barnard Castle is just a 10-minute drive away while, heading in the opposite direction (about seven miles northeast of Staindrop on the A688, at the Bishop Auckland Shopping Park in St Helen Auckland) there is a cluster of large supermarkets, including Sainsbury's, Tesco, M&S Simply Food and Lidl, for handy one-stop grocery shopping.
When it comes to eating out there is an abundance of tearooms, coffee shops and restaurants to choose from, starting in Staindrop with The Country Teashop, a fully-licensed eatery that serves up wholesome, home-cooked food, and even offers a takeaway and home-delivery service. Just down the road is The Yurt Cafe at Raby Castle while nearby Barnard Castle has a great range of cafeterias, bistros and restaurants, including The Artisan Corner Bistro, Bengal Merchant, Blagraves Interiors Shop & Restaurant, Capri Italian Pizzeria, Fish & Chips At 149, The Red Well Inn, The Three Horseshoes Hotel and Valentine’s.
Around the villages you could consider The Bridge Inn in Whorlton, The Brownlow Arms in Caldwell, The Fox Hole in Piercebridge and The Rose and Crown in Romaldkirk, or for some authentic fresh-off-the-farm-fare, head to Ulnaby Farm Shop and Tearoom near High Coniscliffe (Darlington); Broom Mill Farm Shop, Bakery and Deli near West Auckland; Cross Lanes Organic Farm on the A66 near Barnard Castle and Stonygate Farm Shop & Cafe in Ravensworth (just off the A66). They're all well worth a visit.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|The Snuggery||£315.00 per unit per week|
*Short and mid-week breaks also available.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Dark Sky Friendly Durham 2022
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available - Whole cottage is single-storey: access to cottage via front door is road level but access from patio to road is via two stone steps.
- Food shop
Parking & Transport
- Off site parking - Parking can be found in the lay-bys on Beckside (the road which runs alongside the cottage) - 30m away on the left and about 90m away on the right (opposite Duke Street which runs parallel to Queens Head Wynd). When parking in the smaller lay-by on the left, please keep the area in front of the garage doors clear as access is needed at all times; perhaps use the telegraph pole as your marker.
- Garden/patio for guests use
- Linen provided
- WiFi Available - Unlimited superfast broadband is provided.
- Cyclists Welcome - Cyclists are extremely welcome but please not that dedicated storage facilities for bicycles are not provided at the moment.
- Special provisions for walkers - Teesdale (including Staindrop) is wonderful walking country with something to suit everyone, from railway paths, rivers and reservoirs to the open moors and peatlands, pretty dales and hay meadows of the open countryside. So, we have put together a collection of maps and guides to inspire and guide you, and ultimately help you enjoy the best walking adventure in and around the area. Add to this a couple of slimline flasks and sandwich boxes, a waterproof map case, ordnance survey maps for the area and a first aid kit and you have all the ingredients you need for a fantastic day out, whatever the weather. And when you’re done, The Snuggery will welcome you home with a roaring fire and comfy sofa, not to mention a washing machine and muddy boot tray! Just for starters, though, find the top 10 walks in the county here: http://www.thisisdurham.com/inspire-me/durhams-top-10s/top-10-walking-routes
- Walkers Welcome - Well-equipped for walkers, including: - Washer/dryer for dirty and/or wet laundry; clothes airer for use inside or out; retractable washing line on patio. - Selection of recommended walks, ordnance survey maps and waterproof map pouch. - First aid kit. - Two slimline picnic flasks. - Unlimited superfast broadband for simple, convenient route planning. - Key safe offers easy, flexible access to house keys outside check-in/out hours. - Access to water tap on patio for cleaning boots. - Grocery shop, butchery and tea shop in village to cater for all picnic requirements. - Details of outdoor gear and clothing shops in nearby Barnard Castle.
|Open New Year|
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)|