Book direct through our website and get the best rates for your stay. Full refunds given on cancellations.
Location: Located in the Vale of Durham on the edge of the Lampton Estate, this highly praised bungalow is in an excellent location for those wishing to explore the variety of sights, activities and cultural events the area has to offer. On the cusp of Durham and Tyne & Wear it is equidistant between Durham, Sunderland and Newcastle.
Nearby Amenities: The bungalow is set in a quiet small residential area on the edge of Shiney Row, a hamlet in Houghton-le-Spring parish. It lies within strolling distance of the village (9 minutes), and Penshaw Monument (20 minutes). Historic Washington Village and the nearby Galleries shopping centre are just 5 minutes away by car . The local village has a selection of food stores, chemist, florist, hairdressers, Post Office and fast food outlets. There are a number of country pubs within a short distance of the property.
Amenities at the cottage: Set in a peaceful location,is well equipped, has ample private parking and the bungalow can accommodate 4 + 1 guests by way of a master bedroom with a king size bed, a guest bedroom with a double bed, and a fold away bed for a fifth guest (available on request). It has a spacious comfortably furnished lounge, a large well equipped modern kitchen diner, and a modern bathroom with separate bath and shower cubicle. The kitchen opens onto a south facing patio and an enclosed sheltered garden for those relaxing moments. The bungalow is very comfortably furnished throughout and boasts high speed wifi. There are 3 TVs in the property and a DVD player.
Attractions: The NE has so much to offer, great shopping, sporting attractions, restaurants, nightlife, nature and of course a wealth of history. The Briar Rose is an excellent location to make the most of the variety on offer. We are a listed accommodation providor for visitors to the nearby award winning Beamish Museum. The Maritime Museum in Hartlepool is also a must visit attraction a short drive away. Walkers are spoilt for choice with a great selection of country and riverside walks on the doorstep. Superb scenic coastal scenary or the hills of the Pennines are both on offer with a short drive.
Follow us on our Facebook page where we post up-to-date activities and events going on in the region
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|The Briar Rose||£379.00 per unit per week|
*Minimum stay 2 nights, Discounted rates for longer term bookings.
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award 2020 2020
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good3
- heatherhC8565HPExcellent property to base a holidaySunday, 6th June 2021We have had a brilliant week at Briar Rose, helped along by fantastic weather. The bungalow was immaculately clean (much appreciated in the current climate) and covid procedures were very well... Read full review
- T4415MJclairehDoncaster, United KingdomWeek awaySaturday, 28th August 2021Lovely comfy, well equipt bungalow in a quiet location, ideal for touring the area. Great having more than 1 tv and loved the spacious kitchen. Will definitely be back. Read full review
- Irene_DuranieNorthallerton, United KingdomAll you need and moreTuesday, 28th March 2023Very comfortable, surprisingly spacious and incredibly well equipped. Everything you need for a peaceful and comfortable stay. Read full review
- Access Statement - See Access Statement attached below https://www.northeastshorttermlets.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Access-Statement-The-Briar-Rose.pdf
Bookable Product Facilities
- Daily Servicing of Unit (minimum 5 days per week) - A weekly service is included in the price for long stying guests. Daily or periodic servicing can be arranged if requested. This will incur an additional cost.
- Ground floor bedrooms available
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age)
- Children's videos/DVDs Available - All DVDs have been removed as part of ourCovid prevention measures. These will be made available when deemed safe to do so.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Driveway can take 2 cars
- Daily rates available - The minimum stay is 2 nights. See our website for up-to-date charges. https://www.northeastshorttermlets.co.uk/prices/
- Midweek breaks - The minimum stay is 2 nights. See our website for up-to-date charges. https://www.northeastshorttermlets.co.uk/prices/
- Weekend breaks - The minimum stay is 2 nights. See our website for up-to-date charges. https://www.northeastshorttermlets.co.uk/prices/
- Garden/patio for guests use
- Launderette - Washing machine with detergent & conditioner available. Cloths line in garden and a dryer in kitchen. Iron and ironing board in cupboard
- Linen available free of charge
- Linen provided
- Film or TV location - There are 3 TVs in the property and 1 DVD player. A selection of DVDs are available.
- In countryside - The Briar Rose is set in a rural location with good walking routes nearby.
- WiFi Available - Fast Broadband & Wifi included in the price.
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists - Cycles can be securely left securely at the rear of the property, behind a locked gate.
- Walkers Welcome - There are a number of excellent country walks near the property. A walkers map is located at the property for guests reference and planning.
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
|Open New Year|
|2023 (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|2024 (1 Jan 2024 - 31 Dec 2024)|
* The Briar Rose is available for holiday and short breaks and short term lets throughout the year.
Map & Directions
With the A1 just 4 minutes drive to the west and the A19 just 5 minutes to the east, getting around the region by car is quick and easy.
For detailed times and distances to major places in the area click on this link.
20 minutes (8 miles) drive to Roker & Seaburn Beach’s
22 minutes (13 miles) drive to South Shields
23 minutes (13 miles) drive to Newcastle City Center
Public Transport Directions
Bus stops nearby offer services to Chester-le-Street, Houghton-le-Spring, Beamish, Consett, Sunderland, Washington, Gateshead and Newcastle. The Sunderland bus stops outside the Sunderland Royal Hospital and Sunderland University on its way to the central bus station. From this point the Metro can be taken to Tyneside, Newcastle and Newcastle airport.