The two cottages are in a valley close to the River Wear in a most beautiful part of the Durham Dales. Set around a peaceful courtyard both are converted from 17th Century milking byres. Windows outside the cottages look out over stunning rolling countryside. Windows into the courtyard look onto lawns and flowerbeds.
The cottages are fully equipped with linen, towels, comprehensive cutlery and crockery, family sized ovens, dishwashers, washing machine/ dryers, microwave, fridge/freezer and oil fired central heating. In addition, Wear View Cottage has a log burning stove. WiFi is free. There is parking for two cars for each cottage. A singlle, exterior, metered charging point is available for electric vehicles maximum 3kw. Power used is charged for by the owners.
We have a field about 100 meters from the cottages where your horse can be turned out (sharing with our 6 pet sheep), with room to park your trailer or small horse box. There are Bridleways including a 70 mile long distance walk leading from Edge Knoll Holiday Cottages in three directions.
Each cottage has one twin bedroom and one double bedroom and each sleeps a maximum of four people. Each has outside space with garden furniture for alfresco meals.
We can accommodate a mid-sized well behaved dog in each cottage with a small premium to take care of cleaning. All damage caused by pets is the responsibility of the owner and may be charged for. No pets may be left alone in the cottage and must be on a lead and under control at all times when outside. A deposit is required to cover extra cleaning where necessary.
Both cottages are pet friendly.
For birdwatchers, there have been 86 bird species spotted around Edge Knoll Farm including four resident Barn Owls and the annual visitors in the courtyard the Swallows. These little charmers put on flying displays in front of your window which would show the Red Arrows how to fly. Birdwatching from your armchair.
On clear evenings the darkness around Edge Knoll Farm can be appreciated by the astronomers among our visitors.
A walking holiday at Edge Knoll Holiday Cottages start at the gate. In the Middle of a long distance walk from Killhope Lead Mining Museum in the isWest to Sunderland in the East is about eighty miles. Many more walks from the cottage including to Hamsterley Forest or just around the cottages. Something to suit all levels of ability.
Hamsterley Forest, just three miles away offers mountain biking, horse riding and walks on miles of wonderful tracks.
Kynren is only four miles away. See the link on our web page to order tickets.
Angling is available within a short distance of the cottages.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Wear View Cottage||£325.00 per unit per week|
|Witton View||£325.00 per unit per week|
*Prices vary, up to date costs can be viewed on our website edgeknollfarm.co.uk. A fly through 360 degree tour of the cottages and courtyard is available on the web page and also via Google if you search for Edge Knoll Farm on Google maps.
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Access Statement
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - No minimum age
- Cot - No bedding provided for the cot.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - Adjacent to the cottages. a 30 meter walk to the front door of the cottage. A metered electric vehicle charging point is available.
- On site parking - Adjacent to the cottages there is parking for two vehicles. Please let the owner know if you need more parking. A metered electric vehicle charging point is available
- Garden/patio for guests use - Both cottages share the courtyard for sunbathing and relaxing. (see the 360 degree tour on the website) Witton View Cottage has its own private patio. There is garden furniture at both cottages.
- Linen available free of charge
- Linen provided - All linen, duvets and towels are provided for a family of four.
- Pets accepted - Both Cottages can accommodate a medium sized dog. which must be kept under control at all times, not left alone and on a leash when outside the cottage. A deposit is required to cover the cost of extra cleaning if needed.
- Farm - No longer a working farm. The approaching farm road is shared with neighbouring farmers.
- In countryside - The two cottages, as well as the two houses shared by the owner and his family are around the courtyard ( see the 360% tour on the website) the next nearest neighbours are half a mile away. no through traffic comes within 200 yards of the cottages. Open countryside views from all windows outside the cottages not facing into the courtyard.
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- WiFi Available - Wi Fi free in both cottages
- Cyclists Welcome - There is access to a locked building, a work bench and bike vice/stand. washing facilities on the grass next to the locked building.
- Marketed to any other specialist market - Astronomists (Dark Skies survey being carried out - binoculars available on request). Bird watching over eighty species seen on the farm. Walking from your front door. Mountain biking in Hamsterley forest a short ride away. Horse riding, a field is available to turn your horse out and there are local riding schools.
- Special provisions for cyclists - A locked building is provided and there is a work bench and bike stand for repairs. Hamsterley Forest downhill mountain bike trails are ten minutes drive away.
- Special provisions for walkers - Edge Knoll Farm has a long distance Killhope to Sunderland (70 miles) walk running through it. There are numerous walks, from a stroll around the farm to a vigorous all day hike around Hamsterley and the Forest. See the links on the webpage to access many more walks locally.
- Walkers Welcome - Edge Knoll Farm has a long distance Killhope Lead Mine Museum to Sunderland and the beaches (70 miles) walk running through it. There are numerous walks, from a stroll around the farm to a vigorous all day hike around Hamsterley and the Forest. See the links on the webpage to access many more walks locally.
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
|Open New Year|
|Wear View Cottage (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|Witton View Cottage (1 Jan 2023 - 6 Jan 2024)|
|Wear View Cottage (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
|Witton View Cottage (1 Jan 2023 - 31 Dec 2023)|
* General Opening Text
Map & Directions
The cottages are set in open countryside with 1 kilometer of unpaved leafy farm road after leaving Saunders Avenue. Leave the A68 at the bridge across the River Wear, travel one kilometre to the first small crossroads, turn right, pass the houses on your right and continue on the unpaved stone surfaced farm road for another 1 kilometre. At the west end of the recently harvestede conifer plantation turn sharp right, DO NOT GO THROUGH THE FARM GATE, two hundred metres and you will come to Edge Knoll Farm House. the cottages are behind the house. When you arrive phone me Michael Edmonds on 07971883431.I live next to the cottages and will come out to welcome you. Alternatively there are key safes on each copttage entrance. phone Michael Edmonds for the entry code
Public Transport Directions
The nearest transport links are in Bishop Auckland five miles away so a car is essntial if you intend touring the area.
There are many taxi companies who will take you to and from your chosen destinations if you require.