Durham World Heritage Site Visitor Centre
Ever wanted to know more about Durham World Heritage Site, understand its importance, and the story behind its historic buildings?
Providing a perfect introduction to the Durham World Heritage Site for all ages, the visitor centre is the gateway to discovering what it is that makes Durham so significant, and what there is to see and do around the peninsula.
Discover what it means to be a UNESCO world heritage site; lose yourself in an interactive map of World Heritage Sites around the world, learning more about iconic sites, and discovering obscure ones.
Through film and interactives, find out what it is that really makes Durham important.
Find out about events, hidden treasures, trails and walks, tours, exhibitions, performances and more.
Linger, relax, or study here, in the courtyard of this restored 19th century almshouse. All are welcome.
Buy tickets for local events, and souvenirs and gifts.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good20
- pacuthbertsonLeamington Spa, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery helpfulFriday, 13th October 2017The people in the heritage centre were most helpful. PLEASE NOTE however, we made the error of driving to find this visitor centre. Durham has a CONJESTION CHARGE throughout its city centre which... Read full review
- HellomynameisJoanieBarcelona, SpainTrip Type:Couplesfriendly staff great exhibitionThursday, 5th October 2017Its free ...its lovely and the staff are brilliant. the lego film made me smile while educating me and the volunteer with all his stories was charming! Read full review
- John TPeterborough, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery informed staffWednesday, 27th September 2017Called in for information and received a very interesting talk for a lady staff member. She explained the walks and other sites to see other than the popular ones. Art and crafts also on show. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|2017 Autumn/Winter (23 Sept 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||09:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10 Apr-2 July, and 23 Sep-29 Oct, 0930-1700, 3-23 Jul, 0930-1800, 23 Jul-22 Sep Sat, Sun, 0930-1800,
Please note the Visitor Centre will be open weekends only from 24 Jul-22 Sep (Closed Mon-Fri due to roadworks).
Closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day.