Don't miss all that the Botanic Garden has to offer, attractions that appeal to young and old alike. Wander through the Alpine Garden, Winter Garden, Bamboo Grove and our recently developed Woodland Garden and wild flower meadow. With many places to just sit and muse, view the Modern Art or watch the bees in action in their hive.
There are wonderful glass houses. Walk through the desert house to see the collection of cacti that thrive in this arid climate. Into the tropical rainforest house, see and feel what it is like to be in such environs, you can even make it rain! It contains a unique collection of plants and just beyond see some of its indigenous inhabitants, bugs, scorpions and tarantulas! There is even a rare breed of Manx Loghtan sheep that can be seen enjoying the parkland in spring.
One visit isn't enough, the views change throughout the year with vibrant poppy and cornflower displays in the summer to rich warm colours in the autumn, all this in 18 acres of parkland, just minutes from Durham city centre.
Treat yourself to something refreshing in the coffee shop and visit the gift shop to take away memories of your visit.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Children and Students||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Concession||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Student and under 5s free||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2015
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good125
- Annette269Burnopfield, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyThe kids enjoyed the science trailTuesday, 6th June 2017Beautiful gardens with plenty of little paths to interest children. There is a science trail, quiz trail and picture trail for younger children. These are available in the visitor centre on the wall... Read full review
- Julie CHartlepool, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA hidden gemSunday, 4th June 2017I can't believe I didn't know about this lovely place. We visited on Saturday and it wasn't very busy, but occupied us for nearly three hours, first looking in the tropical greenhouses at cacti... Read full review
- LYPudDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyNice walkThursday, 1st June 2017We visited for a picnic but unfortunately it rained as we arrived! So after a car picnic we went in, payment area isn't very clear but it's at the café as you walk in. Nice walks round to see... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
|2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Open Nov-Feb, daily, 1000-1600. The Garden is closed during the Christmas and New Year period.