The centrepiece of Durham’s cultural offer, Gala Theatre is situated in a beautiful, purpose-built £15m building on the banks of the river Wear in the heart of this historic city.
Whether you are interested in watching drama from one of the country’s leading theatre companies, laughing along to some of the biggest names in comedy, seeing some inspiring bands and musicians, or treating the children to an engaging theatre show, you’ll experience the very best in entertainment and culture at our venue.
As well as presenting some of the very best touring work on the live circuit, we are also home to Durham Book Festival, the TakeOff Festival of theatre for children and young people, and Durham’s annual international BRASS festival.
We are also proud that Gala Theatre is a place where we create our own great theatre work, including our critically acclaimed annual pantomime, and support artists and young people to develop and grow.
With a strong network of connections with the regional creative community, we are a place where actors, designers, musicians and technical staff come together to flourish and thrive. And through our artist development schemes, and Gala Theatre Stage School, we help support those taking their first steps in the industry
Prices vary according to performance. Please see website for details.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good83
- Rick_YvanovichHo Chi Minh City, VietnamTrip Type:FamilyWonderful production of Great ExpectationsSunday, 9th July 2017Was fortunate enough to be in Durham when there was a single nights showing of Great Expectations at the Gala Theatre It was a fantastic production. The theatre is a modern one, so there is no... Read full review
- Hugo MTrip Type:CouplesExcellent productionsSaturday, 24th June 2017Gala is a modern, purpose built theatre with plenty of daylight in the common areas and plenty going on in the production areas. Well worth a visit Read full review
- collavfcSeaham, United KingdomSmall but IdealMonday, 22nd May 2017We’ve been to the Gala Theatre 4 times to see comedians / speakers. The venue holds around 500 people. There really isn’t a bad seat in the house. Wherever you are, you are never too far from the... Read full review
- Access Statement - See Below
|2017 (2 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Saturday||10:00||- 20:30|
|Bank Holiday||14:30||- 20:30|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 into Durham city.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station is Durham. Regular buses into the centre of Durham from across the region.