Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon houses over 70 vehicles in its ‘Collection Building’, for which admission and parking are free. Learn about the fascinating history of the railways and so much more!
Although the ‘Collection Building’ is perhaps the main attraction for many, the museum also hosts special guided tours to the heritage end of the site. On these tours guests are taken to see railway pioneer Timothy Hackworth’s house, the Soho shed, and so much more. The tours are free of charge and last approximately one hour.
During special events the museum also hosts steam and diesel train rides. These rides take visitors on a journey between the ‘Collection Building’ and the heritage buildings, before returning. They have a small charge, but under 5s ride free!
The museum also offers steam driver experiences for as little as £80! Please contact the museum on 01904 685780 for more information.
Spectacular events, free activities, full wheelchair and pushchair access, and a fantastic range of facilities (including a café & shop) make the museum the world class attraction that it is. Free admission and free parking mean that Locomotion is a 'must-see' museum.
Explore the history of the railways and so much more at Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Free admission and free parking.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good235
- cherrylwynnEngland, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat daySunday, 19th February 2017Good day out for all the family been going for a lot of years now good layouts and bargains to have for train buffs and for kids Read full review
- bramblesiciLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyThis place is tiredSunday, 19th February 2017This really feels like a vanity project by Blair in his own constituency. It is tired and clearly needs a massive capital programme to change it from being a large engine shed with little interaction... Read full review
- KirkbyTonyKirkby in Furness, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAnother wonderful visit!!!!!!!!Thursday, 16th February 2017Have visited this place many times over recent years and never fail to be impressed by the railway engines and memorabilia on display. The special attraction this time was seeing the Battle of... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2016/7 Winter/spring (1 Nov 2016 - 31 Mar 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|2017 Summer (1 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Open daily, 10:00-17:00 during summer ( 10:00-16:00 in winter). Closed 23-26 Dec and 1 Jan. Limited opening at the Welcome end of the site during the Low Season.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.