Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon houses over 70 vehicles in its ‘Collection Building’, for which admission and parking are free. Learn about the fascinating history of the railways and so much more!
Although the ‘Collection Building’ is perhaps the main attraction for many, the museum also hosts special guided tours to the heritage end of the site. On these tours guests are taken to see railway pioneer Timothy Hackworth’s house, the Soho shed, and so much more. The tours are free of charge and last approximately one hour.
During special events the museum also hosts steam and diesel train rides. These rides take visitors on a journey between the ‘Collection Building’ and the heritage buildings, before returning. They have a small charge, but under 5s ride free!
The museum also offers steam driver experiences for as little as £80! Please contact the museum on 01904 685780 for more information.
Spectacular events, free activities, full wheelchair and pushchair access, and a fantastic range of facilities (including a café & shop) make the museum the world class attraction that it is. Free admission and free parking mean that Locomotion is a 'must-see' museum.
Explore the history of the railways and so much more at Locomotion: The National Railway Museum at Shildon.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Free admission and free parking.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good237
- rich sLondon, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelGreat venue but missed opportunityThursday, 16th March 2017Unfortunately Shildon failed to live up to my expectations. I was disappointed not to see more investment in displays that reflected the development and growth of the earlier railways in the UK... Read full review
- Mark S SLeigh, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFantastic museumWednesday, 15th March 2017Our first visit to this museum and what a fantastic place this is. Free to visit but donations are recommended. Ample free car parking is available. A very good array of Locomotives are on show here... Read full review
- Billy HTrip Type:FamilyGreat day shame about the staff 😑Tuesday, 14th March 2017Had a great day out brilliant little park for the toddlers just outside the museum. The museum itself is free entry but donations are excepted. Lots of locomotives to look at there is a few you can... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
|2017 Spring (2 Jan 2017 - 31 Mar 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|2017 Summer (1 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Open daily, 10:00-17:00 during summer ( 10:00-16:00 in winter). Closed 24-26 Dec and 1 Jan. Limited opening at the Welcome end of the site during the Low Season.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.