2000 hectares of mixed woodland lying between the Wear and Tees valleys on the edge of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Hamsterley is a delightful oasis of broadleaved and coniferous woodland, sprawling along the sides of a sheltered valley. Visitors to Hamsterley have no shortage of options when it comes to activities. With waymarked walks, bike hire, cycle routes and horse riding trails, all levels of fitness and ability are catered for. Cycle hire is available on site - www.woodnwheels.org.uk
There is also a forest play park which is open all year round. A Discovery Pass is available to buy which gives free parking all year round plus other benefits for only £43.00 per annum.
Hamsterley Forest is a magnet for mountain bikers with fantastic sections of exhilarating single track. Families are also well catered for with a multi-user trail along the tranquil Bedburn Beck with exciting play areas to keep the children active and occupied for hours! Relax at the end of your visit with some homemade cake at the Hamsterley Forest Cafe and courtyard.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Forest Drive Toll Per Car||£5.00 per ticket type|
£10 per mini bus. £15 per coach. Annual Discovery Pass available.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Visit County Durham Official Partner 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good67
- Daniel BTrip Type:FamilyCould do betterThursday, 20th October 2016Unhelpful staff studiously ignored my wife in information office when enquiringly about Stick Man trail. Our first encounter with a rude local on this holiday. Lovely location, with river for kids to... Read full review
- Mick MChichester, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDog walkingFriday, 7th October 2016Nice place for a dog walk, we walked the orange tack from the main visitor centre car park, 4.5 miles I think, easy walking, well naked, very pleasant couple of hours. Stoped at the cafe for a... Read full review
- elgun2016Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFantastic. But....Monday, 3rd October 2016We've visited hamsterley forest for years (we were members) but haven't been for a few months. The new childrens play areas are great, everything's been updated which is also great. But the problem i... Read full review
- Forest Location
- Outdoor Attraction
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £5 per car, £10 minibus, £15 coach. Season ticket available
- On-Site café/restaurant - Open daily March to October and school holidays, weekends only during winter.
- Picnic Site
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed in cafe. (stick & flick policy on dog waste)
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
|2016 (1 Oct 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|Monday - Sunday||08:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||08:00||- 17:00|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Follow brown 'Hamsterley Forest' signs from A68 north of Bishop Auckland.
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.