2000 hectares of mixed woodland lying between the Wear and Tees valleys on the edge of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Hamsterley is a delightful oasis of broadleaved and coniferous woodland, sprawling along the sides of a sheltered valley. Visitors to Hamsterley have no shortage of options when it comes to activities. With waymarked walks, bike hire, cycle routes and horse riding trails, all levels of fitness and ability are catered for. Cycle hire is available on site - www.woodnwheels.org.uk
There is also a forest play park which is open all year round with a new area of Viking Themed play equipment aimed at the kids, as well as a Gruffalo Spotters trail . A Discovery Pass is available to buy which gives free parking all year round plus other benefits for only £45.00 per annum.
Hamsterley Forest is a magnet for mountain bikers with fantastic sections of exhilarating single track. Families are also well catered for with a multi-user trail along the tranquil Bedburn Beck with exciting play areas to keep the children active and occupied for hours! Relax at the end of your visit with some homemade cake at the Hamsterley Forest Cafe and courtyard.
Forest Drive Toll Per Car £6 (£10 Bank Holidays from Easter to 31 August). £10 per mini bus. £15 per coach. Annual Discovery Pass available.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good73
- marrdcSheffieldTrip Type:CouplesGreat day outMonday, 22nd May 2017Spent the day at the Forest while in the areas. Good trails for walking and cycling. Although we had no children with us the play area is probably the best I have seen. Read full review
- emibeth23Dover, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFantastic day outWednesday, 10th May 2017We decided to visit Hamsterley Forest on a whim today as we are staying at Barnard Castle. What a surprise!! I wish we had had the entire day free to explore. It has plenty of parking, really good... Read full review
- NewcastleLuckyDarlington, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesNeeds better organisation on a busy Bank Holiday.Tuesday, 2nd May 2017It is a lovely forest with great walks, cycling, play areas, picnic areas etc. We visited on Bank Holiday Monday on the way back from a weekend away, and were shocked at how busy it was, but it just... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £6 to park all day, £10 on all bank holiday weekends from Easter to August inclusive
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed in cafe. (stick & flick policy on dog waste)
|2017 (1 Oct 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||08:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||08:00||- 17:00|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Follow brown 'Hamsterley Forest' signs from A68 north of Bishop Auckland.