2000 hectares of mixed woodland lying between the Wear and Tees valleys on the edge of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Hamsterley is a delightful oasis of broadleaved and coniferous woodland, sprawling along the sides of a sheltered valley. Visitors to Hamsterley have no shortage of options when it comes to activities. With waymarked walks, bike hire, cycle routes and horse riding trails, all levels of fitness and ability are catered for. Cycle hire is available on site - www.woodnwheels.org.uk
There is also a forest play park which is open all year round. A Discovery Pass is available to buy which gives free parking all year round plus other benefits for only £43.00 per annum.
Hamsterley Forest is a magnet for mountain bikers with fantastic sections of exhilarating single track. Families are also well catered for with a multi-user trail along the tranquil Bedburn Beck with exciting play areas to keep the children active and occupied for hours! Relax at the end of your visit with some homemade cake at the Hamsterley Forest Cafe and courtyard.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Forest Drive Toll Per Car||£5.00 per ticket type|
£10 per mini bus. £15 per coach. Annual Discovery Pass available.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good66
- AngelOnYourShoulderNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesBest MTB courses on my doorstepMonday, 31st October 2016Firstly it's 45 minutes from home so it's hardly my doorstep but it's the closest to my home. I've only been into MTB for the last 3-4 months. I've been to Hamsterley half a dozen times now and I am... Read full review
- neenardeedarDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBasically a cycle trackSunday, 30th October 2016We use the forest regularly, but it has changed alot over the years. Basically it is now a cycle track with bikes flying out of unmarked forest tracks without warning, vans and trailers driving... Read full review
- lauralovesgrubTrip Type:CouplesAbsolutely beautiful.Friday, 28th October 2016Stunning woodland. An amazing opportunity to see wildlife and plantlife, we were even lucky enough to see a deer. Definitely good for families but be prepared to take your wellies as it can get a bit... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £5 per car, £10 minibus, £15 coach. Season ticket available
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed in cafe. (stick & flick policy on dog waste)
|2016 (1 Oct 2016 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||08:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||08:00||- 17:00|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Follow brown 'Hamsterley Forest' signs from A68 north of Bishop Auckland.