2000 hectares of mixed woodland lying between the Wear and Tees valleys on the edge of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Hamsterley is a delightful oasis of broadleaved and coniferous woodland, sprawling along the sides of a sheltered valley. Visitors to Hamsterley have no shortage of options when it comes to activities. With waymarked walks, bike hire, cycle routes and horse riding trails, all levels of fitness and ability are catered for. Cycle hire is available on site - www.woodnwheels.org.uk
There is also a forest play park which is open all year round. A Discovery Pass is available to buy which gives free parking all year round plus other benefits for only £43.00 per annum.
Hamsterley Forest is a magnet for mountain bikers with fantastic sections of exhilarating single track. Families are also well catered for with a multi-user trail along the tranquil Bedburn Beck with exciting play areas to keep the children active and occupied for hours! Relax at the end of your visit with some homemade cake at the Hamsterley Forest Cafe and courtyard.
Forest Drive Toll Per Car £5. £10 per mini bus. £15 per coach. Annual Discovery Pass available.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good69
- SteveHolt1981Catterick, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyLovely visit 🌞🌞Saturday, 25th March 2017Had a fantastic visit here today, although not our first visit, this one included much nicer weather. Kids loved it, we downloaded the Gruffalo spotter app and used it on the trail, kids were engaged... Read full review
- Matthew GTrip Type:Friends getawayDiscovery member for many yearsMonday, 20th March 2017I usually visit the forest weekly as I have a Discovery Pass and love the walks and trails, normally taking a picnic or snack as I find the selection of hot drinks poor although the cakes are usually... Read full review
- KatieBlenkinsopTrip Type:Friends getawayExcellent day out.Sunday, 19th March 2017I visited Hamsterley forest today with my husband, my friend and her two daughters. We had a fabulous day ... followed the Gruffalo trail, played Pooh Sticks, paddled in the river, played in the... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £5 per car, £10 minibus, £15 coach. Season ticket available
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed in cafe. (stick & flick policy on dog waste)
|2017 (1 Oct 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||08:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||08:00||- 17:00|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Follow brown 'Hamsterley Forest' signs from A68 north of Bishop Auckland.