2000 hectares of mixed woodland lying between the Wear and Tees valleys on the edge of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Hamsterley is a delightful oasis of broadleaved and coniferous woodland, sprawling along the sides of a sheltered valley. Visitors to Hamsterley have no shortage of options when it comes to activities. With waymarked walks, bike hire, cycle routes and horse riding trails, all levels of fitness and ability are catered for. Cycle hire is available on site - www.woodnwheels.org.uk
There is also a forest play park which is open all year round. A Discovery Pass is available to buy which gives free parking all year round plus other benefits for only £43.00 per annum.
Hamsterley Forest is a magnet for mountain bikers with fantastic sections of exhilarating single track. Families are also well catered for with a multi-user trail along the tranquil Bedburn Beck with exciting play areas to keep the children active and occupied for hours! Relax at the end of your visit with some homemade cake at the Hamsterley Forest Cafe and courtyard.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Forest Drive Toll Per Car||£5.00 per ticket type|
£10 per mini bus. £15 per coach. Annual Discovery Pass available.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Visit County Durham Official Partner 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good65
- y2keableOvington, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayMTBThursday, 22nd September 2016My local MBT haunt, come here to shred the trails 8-10 times a month. The trails are some of the best I know, though not by far the hardest. The black trail isn't as hard as most red trails and the... Read full review
- JenniferT89Trip Type:CouplesLovely walks and viewsSunday, 18th September 2016Came here for a walk out with partner and little boy (4months). Didn't know what to expect as i had heard mixed reviews. Not ideal with little babies and a pushchair but the views are lovely. We... Read full review
- SixPiesBishop Auckland, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyExcellent for Biking/Walking/Playgrounds but AVOID THE CAFETuesday, 13th September 2016We live locally and visit the forest often to let the kids play or to go biking. Facilities for kids and biking are developing all the time with lots of new stuff springing up. However, make sure you... Read full review
- Forest Location
- Outdoor Attraction
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £5 per car, £10 minibus, £15 coach. Season ticket available
- On-Site café/restaurant - Open daily March to October and school holidays, weekends only during winter.
- Picnic Site
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed in cafe. (stick & flick policy on dog waste)
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
|2016 (1 Oct 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|Monday - Sunday||08:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||08:00||- 17:00|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Follow brown 'Hamsterley Forest' signs from A68 north of Bishop Auckland.
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.