2000 hectares of mixed woodland lying between the Wear and Tees valleys on the edge of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Hamsterley is a delightful oasis of broadleaved and coniferous woodland, sprawling along the sides of a sheltered valley. Visitors to Hamsterley have no shortage of options when it comes to activities. With waymarked walks, bike hire, cycle routes and horse riding trails, all levels of fitness and ability are catered for. Cycle hire is available on site - www.woodnwheels.org.uk
There is also a forest play park which is open all year round. A Discovery Pass is available to buy which gives free parking all year round plus other benefits for only £43.00 per annum.
Hamsterley Forest is a magnet for mountain bikers with fantastic sections of exhilarating single track. Families are also well catered for with a multi-user trail along the tranquil Bedburn Beck with exciting play areas to keep the children active and occupied for hours! Relax at the end of your visit with some homemade cake at the Hamsterley Forest Cafe and courtyard.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Forest Drive Toll Per Car||£5.00 per ticket type|
£10 per mini bus. £15 per coach. Annual Discovery Pass available.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Visit County Durham Official Partner 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good62
- Suzzii00Trip Type:FamilyAwfulMonday, 29th August 2016So disappointed dog muck everywhere dirty nappy on the stickman trail ignorant cyclists and overpriced parking. As a regular to Hamsterley forest for nearly 20 years its certainly not what it used... Read full review
- Tabi YTrip Type:FamilyCafe is disappointingFriday, 26th August 2016We visited the cafe today with my son and our friend and her little girl. The service is quiet slow! My friend got beans on toast, the toast was burnt!! And The plate was too small. Very... Read full review
- LizzyC79Durham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyFab place but don't get trapped at the top with parking payment!Wednesday, 24th August 2016We visit here a lot in summer however haven't been for a while. We love it and today was fantastic since all the new climbing equipment for the children has been put in. Fantastic day trip. Since the... Read full review
- Forest Location
- Outdoor Attraction
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £5 per car, £10 minibus, £15 coach. Season ticket available
- On-Site café/restaurant - Open daily March to October and school holidays, weekends only during winter.
- Picnic Site
- Delta accepted
- JCB accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Solo accepted
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - also allowed in cafe. (stick & flick policy on dog waste)
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
|2016 (1 Oct 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|Monday - Sunday||08:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||08:00||- 17:00|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Follow brown 'Hamsterley Forest' signs from A68 north of Bishop Auckland.
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.