Killhope is a multi award winning Victorian Mining Museum, and a gold standard Green Tourism destination. Killhope offers a grand day out for the whole family, whether looking for fun or to immerse yourself in history. Equipped with mine hat, cap lamp and wellies, accompany one of our friendly guides on an unforgettable tour of Park Level Mine.
Our enthusiastic team will ensure you have a day to remember. Find your own minerals as you work as a Victorian washerboy. Dress up in Victorian style clothes in the lodging room. Working water wheels on site and underground.
Exhibitions in the centre include National Spar Boxes Collection, Magnificent Minerals and Pennine Jewels - new exhibitions each year. Walk the woodland trails to see our red squirrels and an array of other wildlife.
Special events take place throughout the year with normal admission prices applying. Check the website for details.
Admission to the newly refurbished shop and cafe is free, so why not pop in to pick up a souvenir, grab a coffee or a bite to eat to complete a great day out.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£8.60 per ticket type|
|Child||£4.70 per ticket type|
|Concession||£7.60 per ticket type|
Tickets valid for 12 months, charges for activities are additional.
*Concessions include - Over 60's, students, unemployed and disabled. **Under fours have free admission, however, we regret they cannot go down the mine.
Free admission to Shop and Café which are open daily 10.30-17.00.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Visit England Code of Practice 2016
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit England Visitengland Hidden Gem 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good29
- Judith SDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesDay out.Sunday, 11th June 2017Quite a while since I had been here and there had been developments and new things to see. The staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and friendly and the soup at the café was delicious. We... Read full review
- Jill SNorfolk, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayTreated like royaltyFriday, 26th May 2017Five of us decided that this would be a good idea on a wet Monday. We were the only people there and the staff were amazing. Three of us went on the underground mine tour. Prior to this a very... Read full review
- Mervyn SAbergeleTrip Type:CouplesVery interesting visitMonday, 8th May 2017We visited the Killhope Lead Mining Museum while being back in the area where my wife and I were born and brought up. I had previously investigated the ancestry of my family and established that they... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
- Dogs Accepted - On a lead.
- Out of Hours Visits
|2017 (1 Apr 2017 - 30 Oct 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:30||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10.30-1700 (last admission 16.15).Free admission to shop and cafe which are open daily 10:30 - 17:00.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A69. Take the A689 road, Killhope is situated between Alston and Stanhope.
Public Transport Directions
Traveline 0871 200 22 33 for general transport information. Weardale Motor Services run a regular bus service through Weardale. Normally this terminates at Cowshill, 2.5 miles east of Killhope, but certain summer services will run to Killhope by request. Please contact Weardale Motor Services for details and booking tel: 01388 528235 for details.
If you arrive by this bus we'll give you a 10% 'Green Discount' on your entry fee!
If you come on your bike you'll get a 10% 'Green admission discount'
Look out for the roof of england Sunday bus through out the summer 2013 season