Killhope is a multi award winning Victorian Mining Museum, and a gold standard Green Tourism destination. Killhope offers a grand day out for the whole family, whether looking for fun or to immerse yourself in history. Equipped with mine hat, cap lamp and wellies, accompany one of our friendly guides on an unforgettable tour of Park Level Mine.
Our enthusiastic team will ensure you have a day to remember. Find your own minerals as you work as a Victorian washerboy. Dress up in Victorian style clothes in the lodging room. Working water wheels on site and underground.
Exhibitions in the centre include National Spar Boxes Collection, Magnificent Minerals and Pennine Jewels - new exhibitions each year. Walk the woodland trails to see our red squirrels and an array of other wildlife.
Special events take place throughout the year with normal admission prices applying. Check the website for details.
Admission to the newly refurbished shop and cafe is free, so why not pop in to pick up a souvenir, grab a coffee or a bite to eat to complete a great day out.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£8.60 per ticket type|
|Child||£4.70 per ticket type|
|Concession||£7.60 per ticket type|
Tickets valid for 12 months, charges for activities are additional.
*Concessions include - Over 60's, students, unemployed and disabled. **Under fours have free admission, however, we regret they cannot go down the mine.
Free admission to Shop and Café which are open daily 10.30-17.00.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Gold 2015
- Visit England Code of Practice 2016
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Visit England Visitengland Hidden Gem 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous Visit County Durham Official Partner 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good27
- trevor tCambridge, UKTrip Type:Couplesa well presented and interesting museum about lead mining - with an underground water wheelSunday, 25th September 2016This, mostly outdoor, museum describes the history of lead mining on the site. There is a very interesting indoor section showing the history of the mine, and containing lots of minerals and strange... Read full review
- ljonesy1977Sunderland, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFab day outTuesday, 13th September 2016It was heritage weekend from Thursday to Sunday so I was looking for somewhere for my husband and I to go for the day. Wanted somewhere a bit different and came across Killhope in the list. We... Read full review
- sparklinsesDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWorth a trekMonday, 12th September 2016So on the way to Killhope you might worry that you are driving into middle earth ..especially if it is drizzling and the majority of the journey is covered in mist. Don't turn back! The museum is... Read full review
- In countryside
- Outdoor Attraction
- Facility for service dogs
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free)
- On-Site café/restaurant - Light refreshments and snacks. Max 30.
- Picnic Site
- Delta accepted
- Groups Accepted - Please prebook.
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 100
- Min group size - 10
- Solo accepted
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - On a lead.
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
- Min group size numeric qualifier - 10
- Out of Hours Visits
|2016 (25 Mar 2016 - 30 Oct 2016)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:30||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 17:00|
* Open 10.30-1700 (last admission 16.15).Free admission to shop and cafe which are open daily 10:30 - 17:00.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A69. Take the A689 road, Killhope is situated between Alston and Stanhope.
Public Transport Directions
Traveline 0871 200 22 33 for general transport information. Weardale Motor Services run a regular bus service through Weardale. Normally this terminates at Cowshill, 2.5 miles east of Killhope, but certain summer services will run to Killhope by request. Please contact Weardale Motor Services for details and booking tel: 01388 528235 for details.
If you arrive by this bus we'll give you a 10% 'Green Discount' on your entry fee!
If you come on your bike you'll get a 10% 'Green admission discount'
Look out for the roof of england Sunday bus through out the summer 2013 season
TICKET / INFORMATION / GIFT SHOP [WHERE APPLICABLE]
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.