High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good248
- Gooner66iwLetchworth, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesSpectacularMonday, 21st August 2017Ignore the cost as discussed by many on here, it is only £1-50 each plus £3 to park the car unless you park in the lay-by a mile down the road and walk up. It's hardly expensive!!! The falls are a 10... Read full review
- Larky1983Trip Type:CouplesLovely sight to seeMonday, 21st August 2017My husband and I visited High Force Waterfall with our 2 dogs. We were impressed with the pathway down to the waterfall which was wheelchair friendly all the way to the main Waterfall viewing area... Read full review
- RGreenwellDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyNot my cup of teaSunday, 20th August 2017Its a natural water feature that's been there thousands of years and someone is making money from it. Cost 9 quid for 4 of us to walk along a path to look at a river, some rocks and to be eaten alive... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|2017 Summer Season (1 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
|2017 Winter Season (1 Nov 2017 - 30 Mar 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)