High Force suddenly and spectacularly drops 70 feet into a plunge pool below, making it England's highest uninterrupted drop of water.
The woodland walk leads to this breathtaking sight. As you begin the descent down the gentle slope the well-maintained path twists and turns giving a different view every few yards. The muffled rumble suddenly turns to a roar and the sight astounds you.
High Force commands your respect. Its power is its beauty, but it must be treated with care and children should be supervised at all times. Gift shop, picnic area and parking available.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£1.50 per ticket type|
|Child (under 16yrs )||£0.50 per ticket type|
Car parking £3 per car. £2 per motorcycle. Payment is via an Honesty Box if no attendant is present.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good251
- tetrakis-21Kidderminster, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesThe Effort is worthwhileSunday, 15th October 2017We began this walk to the top of High Force from the Bowlees Visitor Center having driven up to this from Middleton in Teesdale. Having parked the car we called in to the Center tell them what were... Read full review
- UKGHMUKTrip Type:CouplesStunning waterfallSunday, 15th October 2017Stunning waterfall and lovely walk along the river Tees to Bowlees and Low Force. Very pleasant 3.5 mile round trip walk, but make sure you have good footwear as it can get slippery and muddy. The... Read full review
- alan cWorksop, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesStunningThursday, 12th October 2017Parked at Bowlees and walked via Low force and the Pennine way path for a really enjoyable route to the falls thereby seeing both falls and a good stretch of the river in one walk. Both Low force and... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - £2.00 per car
- Dogs Accepted - On short leads only.
|2017 Summer Season (1 Apr 2017 - 31 Oct 2017)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
|2017 Winter Season (1 Nov 2017 - 30 Mar 2018)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 16:00|
* October - Easter: Visitor facilities closed. In adverse weather it may be necessary to close High Force in the interest of safety, please check the weather forecast before travelling. Closed Christmas Day.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A66. From the A1(M) take the A66 to Bowes/Barnard Castle turn off and pick up the signs for High Force, which is on B6277 Middleton in Teesdale to Alston Road.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest train station - DarlingtonNearest bus stop - Forest in Teesdale (timings depend on season and day)