Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Principal country residence of the Prince Bishops since AD1190.
A fine example of architectural history, the state rooms display treasures left behind including original works of art, the collection of 17thC Spanish paintings by Francisco de Zurbaran and portraits of past Bishops.
St Peter's Chapel is one of the largest private chapels in Europe.
Special events take place throughout the year.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Silver 2015
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good85
- Deborah Lynn CSheffield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLovely location and the home if the fabulous Kynren.Tuesday, 21st March 2017Small castle with large grounds. Located in the historic little town. Good local amenities. Great to visit if you are watching the Kynren performance. That is a must see. Read full review
- 458janicewBishop Auckland, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAuckland Castle visitTuesday, 14th March 2017I recently visited Auckland Castle with family and friends. You need the guide book to fully appreciate everything on display and the history behind it. There is a special children's education... Read full review
- Graeme HDurham, England, United KingdomTrip Type:BusinessAuckland Castle Trust Develops PlansTuesday, 28th February 2017Work is well underway in the Castle Grounds; Building a huge Conference Hall from already laid, Founds. To the front of the Gates a 'Welcome' Building will soon arise; The design of which is well... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.