Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Principal country residence of the Prince Bishops since AD1190.
A fine example of architectural history, the state rooms display treasures left behind including original works of art, the collection of 17thC Spanish paintings by Francisco de Zurbaran and portraits of past Bishops.
St Peter's Chapel is one of the largest private chapels in Europe.
Special events take place throughout the year.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Silver 2015
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good87
- Heidi ACambridge, United KingdomSurprised at how interesting a visitFriday, 12th May 2017thought we would stop by as we had some spare time and really pleased that we did, there was so much to do for all the family and we had a thoroughly enjoyable time, interactive and interesting and... Read full review
- Rastas69EnglandTrip Type:FamilyThe Pride of the Prince BishopsMonday, 10th April 2017Visitors to Co Durham oft head straight to Durham City, the Cathedral, Castle and River walks. Others go off in search of the mining heritage of Beamish Museum but in doing so they miss out on a... Read full review
- Gail CDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAuckland Castle - steeped in history and beautiful groundsFriday, 31st March 2017I live locally, and Auckland Castle and it's grounds are beautiful. Enjoyed many an afternoon with family and grandchildren visiting the deer house and taking in the lovely grounds in the park... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A689 to Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Proceed along Newgate Street to the Market Place and castle is through clock tower gate in far corner of the square.