AboutSt Mary and St Cuthbert's Church was the cathedral church and shrine of St Cuthbert from AD883 to 995, during which time the Lindisfarne Gospels were translated into Anglo-Saxon (facsimile on display). The Anker's House is an anchorage attached to the church with displays on Roman, Saxon and medieval times. Model of Anchorites' living quarters.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good6
- cheffee9491newcastle upon tyneTrip Type:Solo travelHistoryThursday, 16th February 2017Had a tour around this church, which from what I can gather was the cathedral before Durham cathedral was built, it is over 1100 years old it holds a facsimile copy of the lindisfarne gospels, a... Read full review
- bobandbrendasMelbourne, AustraliaTrip Type:CouplesWonderful, Moving ExperienceThursday, 20th October 2016Amazed when we walked through the doors. Staff extremely encouraging and their joy at working there is obvious. The "Open Treasures" exhibit is informative and has you keen to go from one... Read full review
- jmc235Chester-le-Street, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawaysomething to suit all?Tuesday, 18th October 2016The church meets in two schools - one on the north and one on the south side of the town - as well as in the main Parish church. Each congregation has it's own style which means the church appeals... Read full review
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge)
- On-Site café/restaurant - Open for morning coffee and light lunches (no afternoon tea)
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
|2017 (1 Oct 2016 - 13 Apr 2017)|
|Monday - Friday||10:00||- 12:30|
|2017 Summer (27 Mar 2017 - 30 Sept 2017)|
|Monday - Wednesday||10:00||- 15:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 15:00|
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A167 into Chester-le-Street.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Chester-le-Street Station. Walk down Station Road towards the main street over Osborne Terrace. Go down Station Road to Front Street (Lambton Arms on your left, library on your right). Cross Front Street, turn left and first right into Middle Chare, walk to Church Chare.