AboutA 3 mile steam railway and the oldest railway in the world, based on a section of the 1725 Tanfield Waggonway Trains with a variety of vintage carriages. Travel into the scenic Causey Woods where the 1727 Causey Arch bridge is the centre piece in a deep valley with many walks and display boards giving the 18th Century railway history of the area. Back at Marley Hill shed, the oldest working engine shed in Britain, built in 1854, a large collection of locally built and used locomotives can be seen. Please see website or call for dates and opening times.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£9.00 per ticket type|
|Child||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Family||£23.00 per ticket type|
|Senior Citizens||£6.00 per ticket type|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good67
- BazwaltWhitley Bay, England, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGeneral visit and afternoon tea.Sunday, 24th September 2017An excellent, interesting day out. Steam trains, Loco sheds, loads of nostalgia and memories. Highlight of the day was afternoon tea in a beautiful carriage hauled by a steam train. VERY attentive... Read full review
- Paul JMedwayTrip Type:CouplesFun tripThursday, 14th September 2017This is a lovely steam railway using mainly industrial engines. Journey starts at Andrews House Station where there is a fairly large car park. It is an interesting trip up and down the line. There... Read full review
- kls23co.durhamTrip Type:FamilyGood day outTuesday, 22nd August 2017We visited in school summer holidays. Train ride was fun & staff were all very pleasant. £24 for family ticket was ok. We rode the train 3 times that day. Wasn't too busy so no huge crowds. Only let... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted
|2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* Please see website for details of Train operating times and special events.
Map & Directions
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station in Newcastle. Underground to Gateshead Metro- X30/X31 bus to railway (Mon-Sat). Any bus to Sunniside (daily).