Shipley Art Gallery
Tyne and Wear
Tel: +44 0191 477 1495
Relax, unwind and discover the fantastic range of arts and design on show in the friendly surroundings of the Shipley Art Gallery.
The Shipley Art Gallery is the North East’s leading gallery for contemporary art and design and has one of the best collections of ceramics, wood, metal, glass, textiles and furniture outside of London. It is also home to William Irving’s painting The Blaydon Races. The Shipley is also home to The Henry Rothschild collection of studio ceramics. This includes work by all major makers and studios working in ceramics during the 20th century in the UK.
The Shipley’s permanent exhibitions include:
- the Designs for Life gallery, a showcase featuring more than 300 objects made over the past 2,000 years.
- the Saltwell Park Museum, a display of objects from the old Saltwell Park Museum
- stories of Gateshead through the ages.
Other gallery spaces show a range of exhibitions throughout the year. There are regular events including artist and curator talks, ‘Get Crafty’ family activity days, concerts and fairs. Donations are welcomed, but entry is free to the gallery.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England Code of Practice 2012
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - 1
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages - If requested in advance
- No Smoking Attraction - 1
- Family Fun - 1
- Marketed Towards Families - 1
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens - 1
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth - 1
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A167.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Gateshead Metro Station.