Statement from Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums: Following new advice in response to the COVID 19 pandemic and in line with other cultural organisations, we have taken the difficult decision to close all of our museums and galleries and the archives from 5pm on Wednesday 18 March.
This is provisionally until 1 May 2020 but we will be reviewing the situation and updating if anything changes.
Please sign up to our emails at mustseemuseums.org.uk and check our social media channels and website so we can keep you up to date with what’s going on.
Thank you for your support and understanding at this challenging time. Stay well and we look forward to welcoming you back in due course.
Relax, unwind and discover the fantastic range of arts and design on show in the friendly surroundings of the Shipley Art Gallery.
The Shipley Art Gallery is the North East’s leading gallery for contemporary art and design and has one of the best collections of ceramics, wood, metal, glass, textiles and furniture outside of London. It is also home to William Irving’s painting The Blaydon Races. The Shipley is also home to The Henry Rothschild collection of studio ceramics. This includes work by all major makers and studios working in ceramics during the 20th century in the UK.
The Shipley’s permanent exhibitions include:
- the Designs for Life gallery, a showcase featuring more than 300 objects made over the past 2,000 years.
- the Saltwell Park Museum, a display of objects from the old Saltwell Park Museum
- stories of Gateshead through the ages.
Other gallery spaces show a range of exhibitions throughout the year. There are regular events including artist and curator talks, ‘Get Crafty’ family activity days, concerts and fairs. Donations are welcomed, but entry is free to the gallery.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England Code of Practice 2012
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Hearing loop.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
Parking & Transport
- Parking (free) - 1
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages - If requested in advance
- No Smoking Attraction - 1
- Family Fun - 1
- Marketed Towards Families - 1
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens - 1
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth - 1
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A167.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Gateshead Metro Station.