Discover all about life in Newcastle and Tyneside, from the area's renowned maritime history and world-changing science and technology right through to fashion through the eras and military history. The museum is bursting with interactive displays, which makes it the perfect place to learn and have fun.
Visitors to the Discovery Museum can reap the benefits of free entry, as it's positioned within Newcastle it has great transport links for both public and private transport.
The displays are regularly updated and complemented by an array of free, fun learning activities and a changing programme of exhibitions.
One of the favourite exhibits - Turbinia - dominates the entrance to the Museum. Invented on Tyneside, it is the first ship to be powered by a steam turbine. The 35 metre vessel was once the fastest ship in the world and her history is brought to life in the Turbinia Story display. She sets the standard for a day out that is guaranteed to be filled with breath-taking discoveries.
Discovery Museum is managed by Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums on behalf of Newcastle City Council.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Bronze 2012
- Visit England Code of Practice 2012
- Regional and Miscellaneous Use our Loos 2011
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Access for all Tourism Award - Highly Commended 2013
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Access for all Tourism Award - Silver 2014
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loop.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Maps for all, Braille Maps, Touch Maps, Free audio guide.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Small cafeteria open Mon-Sat 1000-1600, Sun 1400-1700. Maximum party size at any time - 25.
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge) - 40p per hour
- Approx length of visit - 4 hours
- Groups Accepted - Please ring in advance
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 200
- Min group size - 15
- Visa accepted
- Conference facilities - 1
- In town/city centre - 1
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Family Fun - 1
- Marketed Towards Families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
From Discovery Museum the nearest major road is the A1.
Public Transport Directions
From Newcastle Central Station it is 5 minutes walk to Discovery Museum.