Westgate Circular Walk
Tel: +44 03000262626
Grade of walk: Moderate
Time: 2.5-3 Hours
This route provides a more strenuous hill-walk high up onto the grassy moorland around Swinhope Burn with some quite steep gradients and rough terrain. There is a long and gradual descent along a walled track at the end of this walk with superb views across the valley.
This route makes the whole walk 4.5 miles (7 .25km) and should take around 2.5 - 3 hours.
1. Follow the road over the bridge across the River Wear up onto Front Street.
2. Turn left along the road.
3. Turn right before the Methodist Chapel up towards ‘Weeds’.
4. At the houses, follow the left-hand lane up to a gate at the top of the farmyard. Follow the rough grassy track straight on up to reach a lane beside Low Crooked Well Farm.
5. A clear lane leads up passing High Crooked Well Farm on to reach a junction of roads, tracks and paths.
6. Turn left along the road for about half a mile.
7. Turn left into the yard of Strathmore Farm, through the gate ahead then steeply down across the middle of the hillside. At the bottom of the second field, head through the small wall-gate then continue down the hillside to join a track to the right of a house that leads down to the road.
8. Turn right along the road, over the bridge across the River Wear into Daddry Shield.
9. After the bridge across the River Wear, continue along the road into Daddry Shield. Take the turning to the left towards ‘Brotherlee’ and then take the lane to the right after the bridge across Daddryshield Burn. Follow this walled track up bearing round to the left then where the walled track turns sharp right head through the gate ahead.
10. Follow the path straight on across fields, over a stream then up through a wallgate towards Glenwhelt Farm. Walk behind the buildings, through the gate after the barn into the farmyard to join the road.
11. Turn right along the road then immediately left through a gate. Follow the grassy track bearing to the right across the moorland to reach a walled copse of trees.
12. Skirt to the left around the copse and steeply down to the Swinhope Burn to a wall-gate beside the stream. Cross the stream and head up alongside the wall on your left passing two ruinous farms up to join the top of a walled lane.
13. Turn left and follow this walled lane down passing New Close Farm then bending down to the left into the wooded confines of Swinhope Burn.
14. Cross the bridge over Swinhope Burn then turn right at the houses down to reach a road junction. Turn left and follow the right-hand fork back to Westgate.
OS Explorer Sheet OL31 ‘North Pennines’
|Open All Year|
As a discerning guest said, "Other than peace, tranquillity, hospitality, birdsong, dramatic night...5.36 miles away
In the center of the North Pennines ANOB Sleeping under stars, in one of Killhope’s yurts. Just...5.86 miles away
Comfortable 18thC stone-built guesthouse, overlooking village green, with reputation for good home...8.03 miles away
The Lord Crewe Arms was once a twelfth century abbots priory, now, a humble and honest 21 bedroom...8.41 miles away
Luxury Country House B&B in glorious Weardale. 1-2 people. Warm Welcome. Scrumptious Breakfast....9.91 miles away
A warm welcome awaits you at Brock Scar Cottage nestled in the surrounding hills at Grassholme...10.04 miles away
The Punch Bowl Inn situated in the quiet village of Edmundbyers, offers boutique accommodation,...10.05 miles away
Impressive and immaculate period property for 7 offering an excellent location in the centre of...10.38 miles away
An 18thC family-owned and award-winning coaching inn, offering log fires, traditional comfort and...11.2 miles away
Built in 1748 as a farm cottage, but now fully and tastefully modernised. With sun room and...11.21 miles away
Timber Lodge on an Alpaca Farm, 6 miles from Barnard Castle. 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms - spa bath,...13.45 miles away
Plum Tree Cottage is a delightful barn conversion nestled on the banks of the river Wear between...15.68 miles away
Swallow Nest is a delightful country retreat from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. With...16.11 miles away
As a small, high-quality bed and breakfast establishment, we aim to provide a comfortable,...16.31 miles away
Auck House is a family run B&B in the village of West Auckland. West Auckland is a quiet village on...18.41 miles away
Comfortable Georgian farmhouse situated in rural setting. Within easy reach of Durham City, Beamish...18.7 miles away