Westgate Circular Walk
Tel: +44 03000262626
Grade of walk: Moderate
Time: 2.5-3 Hours
This route provides a more strenuous hill-walk high up onto the grassy moorland around Swinhope Burn with some quite steep gradients and rough terrain. There is a long and gradual descent along a walled track at the end of this walk with superb views across the valley.
This route makes the whole walk 4.5 miles (7 .25km) and should take around 2.5 - 3 hours.
1. Follow the road over the bridge across the River Wear up onto Front Street.
2. Turn left along the road.
3. Turn right before the Methodist Chapel up towards ‘Weeds’.
4. At the houses, follow the left-hand lane up to a gate at the top of the farmyard. Follow the rough grassy track straight on up to reach a lane beside Low Crooked Well Farm.
5. A clear lane leads up passing High Crooked Well Farm on to reach a junction of roads, tracks and paths.
6. Turn left along the road for about half a mile.
7. Turn left into the yard of Strathmore Farm, through the gate ahead then steeply down across the middle of the hillside. At the bottom of the second field, head through the small wall-gate then continue down the hillside to join a track to the right of a house that leads down to the road.
8. Turn right along the road, over the bridge across the River Wear into Daddry Shield.
9. After the bridge across the River Wear, continue along the road into Daddry Shield. Take the turning to the left towards ‘Brotherlee’ and then take the lane to the right after the bridge across Daddryshield Burn. Follow this walled track up bearing round to the left then where the walled track turns sharp right head through the gate ahead.
10. Follow the path straight on across fields, over a stream then up through a wallgate towards Glenwhelt Farm. Walk behind the buildings, through the gate after the barn into the farmyard to join the road.
11. Turn right along the road then immediately left through a gate. Follow the grassy track bearing to the right across the moorland to reach a walled copse of trees.
12. Skirt to the left around the copse and steeply down to the Swinhope Burn to a wall-gate beside the stream. Cross the stream and head up alongside the wall on your left passing two ruinous farms up to join the top of a walled lane.
13. Turn left and follow this walled lane down passing New Close Farm then bending down to the left into the wooded confines of Swinhope Burn.
14. Cross the bridge over Swinhope Burn then turn right at the houses down to reach a road junction. Turn left and follow the right-hand fork back to Westgate.
OS Explorer Sheet OL31 ‘North Pennines’
|Open All Year|
Tucked away in a peaceful and friendly village this stone built, single storey, detached property...0.06 miles away
Two bedrooms: 1 x king-size double, 1 x twin. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Ground...0.06 miles away
Newly refurbished character 19th Century 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. Sleeps 6 + 4. Log fires and...0.08 miles away
Westgate Manor offers you a warm and friendly welcome whether you are cycling the C2C, walking the...0.14 miles away
Charming stone cottage, originally two one-up one-down houses, comprising lounge, dining room,...0.14 miles away
A warm welcome awaits you at Lands Farm, conveniently situated within walking distance of the...0.25 miles away
Established in 1952, Westgate Caravan Site owners Helen & Philip Fairless would like to welcome you...0.26 miles away
The warmest of welcomes awaits you at Hill House East.
Come and be spoilt at our unique...0.36 miles away
Ashbrow is a beautiful 3 bedroom cottage with breathtaking views across the upper Pennines, set in...0.88 miles away
If your planning a visit to the Durham Dales, Lake District or Northumberland then come and stay...1.43 miles away
This peaceful holiday home lies on the edge of the village of St John’s Chapel, in an AONB, with...1.43 miles away
Hill View Cottage is a pretty, traditional stone cottage set on the hillside with wonderful views...2.22 miles away
We’re a 80 bed residential centre with a reputation for high quality outdoor education and activity...2.36 miles away
Our Red Brick Barn is located at 1300ft on a hillside in the beautiful, unspoilt "North Pennines...3.12 miles away
Horsley Hall is an elegant 3-storey country manor-house dating back to the 17thC. Built as a...3.47 miles away
The Barrington Bunkhouse is situated at Rookhope village in the stunning surroundings of the...3.5 miles away