AboutEast Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s North Dock Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Visit County Durham Official Partner 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good13
- tess301289North East England, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayGreat centreMonday, 15th August 2016Has a lot of local history well put together by the volunteers, top class, brings to light the effort the volunteers experienced Read full review
- Grumpyoldwoman18EnglandTrip Type:FamilyWe tend to forget this voluntary service until we need itSunday, 31st July 2016I found this a very interesting place, some of the exhibits were si lifelike. It is easy to forget thd the great service the lifeboat crew have to contend with when the weather is at its worst... Read full review
- David BSouth Shields, England, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRNLI Heritage Brought to lifeMonday, 25th July 2016We like Seaham and heard the Marina was a nice visit and it was. We had a very informative and humorous chat with one of the volunteers at the lifeboat station. Highly recommend (nice couple of... Read full review
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
|2016 (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||10:00||- 15:00|