East Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s North Dock Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good18
- Hawkeye797Seaham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery interesting, especially if you're from SeahamFriday, 14th July 2017It was surreal seeing the George Elmy as it was and discover the full details of what happened that fateful night. I used to play with young Davey,(the 8yr old that was drowned) and it was eerie to... Read full review
- David NSeaham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyWorth a visitSunday, 25th June 2017Very informative staff. A great place to visit so much history on show. Made to feel very welcome by everyone concerned. Read full review
- TenMileBankDownham Market, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesInteresting little museumSaturday, 3rd June 2017Lots of pictures of Seaham as it was before the pits closed, including a good selection on computer. Also, some examples of bottles from the bottle factory which closed in 1921 and is now responsible... Read full review
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
|2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||10:00||- 15:00|