AboutEast Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s North Dock Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Visit County Durham Official Partner 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good13
- Pam HBolton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery interesting worth a visitMonday, 26th September 2016After walking along the shore we visited the harbour and found this gem it gave plenty of information about its past and present, worth a visit Read full review
- maryannelisgomalDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRestored lifeboatTuesday, 13th September 2016Very interesting the lifeboat was restored after the lifeboat disaster in which a young boy was killed in 1962 the lifeboat called The George Elmy has been well restored and worth a visit Read full review
- JillybeanmarshallNewcastle upon Tyne, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesWonderful history, beautiful boatSunday, 28th August 2016Really interesting to talk to the volunteers and hear about the history of the boat. Worth a visit if you are visiting the harbour. Read full review
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
|2016 (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||10:00||- 15:00|