AboutEast Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s North Dock Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good14
- canford59Seaham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesTake a lookTuesday, 17th January 2017Fantastic piece of our heritage definitely worth a visit and lovely friendly staff with lots of pieces to see Read full review
- 305lynbChichesterTrip Type:Friends getawayBrilliant if you love the history/RNLISaturday, 14th January 2017We went on a very windy day when the main door was sandbagged waiting for the high tide. The staff were lovely an more than happy to chat about the museum and local area. The story of this wonderful... Read full review
- Pat bSeaham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyExcellent place to take the childrenTuesday, 15th November 2016This brings back memories of the Seaham Lifeboat disaster when my dad was cox on the Sunderland lifeboat. It's wonderful the dedication of so many volunteers who have restored the lifeboat back to... Read full review
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
|2017 (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||10:00||- 15:00|