AboutEast Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s North Dock Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast.
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good14
- Pat bSeaham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyExcellent place to take the childrenTuesday, 15th November 2016This brings back memories of the Seaham Lifeboat disaster when my dad was cox on the Sunderland lifeboat. It's wonderful the dedication of so many volunteers who have restored the lifeboat back to... Read full review
- Sheila STrip Type:FamilyDedicated staffWednesday, 9th November 2016The lifeboat was restored by a band of very dedicated band of men who worked very hard to restore her to her former beauty. They now staff the centre giving there valuable time and are very... Read full review
- Malcolm WSeaham, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayWell worth a visit to experience an important part of Seaham's historyWednesday, 26th October 2016The East Durham Heritage centre can be found opposite the marina in Seaham and some nice shops close by. It is a pity the centre itself is not larger but the volunteers who work there have made great... Read full review
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
|2016 (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||10:00||- 15:00|