AboutEast Durham Heritage and Lifeboat Centre is located in Seaham’s North Dock Marina where the historic lifeboat The George Elmy is on permanent display. The Centre’s exhibition facility enables the East Durham Heritage Group to hold themed displays relating to the maritime, industrial and social heritage of the area.
Seaham’s heritage history dates from before the 8th century Anglo Saxon church of St Mary the Virgin adjacent to Seaham Hall on the headland to the north of the town through the era of the Milbanke’s and their relationship with Lord Byron to Lord and Lady Londonderry who created the harbour for the export of coal from their collieries of East Durham. Following the closure of the collieries Seaham has seen many changes and is now attracting large numbers of visitors to the beaches, seafront promenade and marina.
Seaham is located on Durham’s Heritage Coast.
- Regional and Miscellaneous Visit County Durham Official Partner 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good13
- theliburdfamilyNorthamptonshire, United KingdomTrip Type:Familyvery interestingTuesday, 11th October 2016We went to look around and spent longer than we thought. The people in there were very knowledgeable and really friendly. They were telling us that they are to have a statue built soon and they have... Read full review
- Pam HBolton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery interesting worth a visitMonday, 26th September 2016After walking along the shore we visited the harbour and found this gem it gave plenty of information about its past and present, worth a visit Read full review
- maryannelisgomalDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesRestored lifeboatTuesday, 13th September 2016Very interesting the lifeboat was restored after the lifeboat disaster in which a young boy was killed in 1962 the lifeboat called The George Elmy has been well restored and worth a visit Read full review
- In town/city centre - Coastal town on Durham's Heritage Coast.
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
|2016 (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2016)|
|Monday - Wednesday||Closed|
|Thursday - Sunday||10:00||- 15:00|