Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email email@example.com
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket||£15.00 per ticket type|
Durham University Students and Infants free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2017
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good302
- Timothy CTrip Type:Solo travelBeautifulMonday, 16th October 2017Beautiful castle and grounds. Very interesting tour. Fantastic tour guide, she was very patient with the asians that had to be told many times not to touch objects . Read full review
- brieryfieldPreston, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesAn excellent tour guide and a beautiful buildingSaturday, 14th October 2017We joined a tour which cost £5 and lasted about 1 1/2 hours. The guide was a student who had excellent knowledge of the castle. The visit was somewhat restricted as students reside in the building... Read full review
- Newt44SeattleTrip Type:CouplesAbsolute Must SeeMonday, 9th October 2017I have been to many of the famous cathederals of Europe. At many, I have taken the guided tours by Vergers and docents. Not only is Durham Cathedral a special place because of the extensiveness of... Read full review
|2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes