Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket||£15.00 per ticket type|
Durham University Students and Infants free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good283
- SirHCRocketsSorrento, ItalyRight on my doorstepWednesday, 21st June 2017Great town to visit especially if you get the weather. Lots to do and see and loved the castle and cathedral. Many good places to eat from value for money to expensive. Loads and loads of places to... Read full review
- chickwsxWest Sussex, United KingdombeautifulWednesday, 21st June 2017Stunning Cathedral, amazing arcihitecture worth the drive. busy area . good cafe inside ,great shop a walk along the river is relaxing just down from cathedral Read full review
- TomaSchultzSantiago de Puriscal, Costa RicaAn interesting tour - of a British College - great history and insight into college lifeTuesday, 20th June 2017The Castle only remains because it was given over to the University in the 19th century - you only get to see the inside with a guided tour, usually by a college member. While the old parts of the... Read full review
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Individuals - Entrance by guided tour only.
|2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes