Durham Castle, together with the Cathedral, was awarded the status of a World Heritage Site in 1986 providing international recognition for this unique, historic and scenic site. Standing side by side on a prominent hill top site and encircled by the wooded slopes of the meandering River Wear, the Castle overlooks the medieval City of Durham with its fascinating narrow streets. Opening can vary - All enquiries re guided tours should be directed to Palace Green Library.
Telephone 0191 334 2932 or email email@example.com
Durham Castle is part of Durham University.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adults||£5.00 per ticket type|
|Concessions||£4.00 per ticket type|
|Family day ticket||£15.00 per ticket type|
Durham University Students and Infants free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good267
- fin33scotlandTrip Type:CouplesWell Guided TourMonday, 27th March 2017Visits to the castle are by guided tour only. We arrived on the day (a Sunday) and had no trouble getting one. The guide was excellent - interesting and appropriately amusing. The great hall was... Read full review
- Chriscampion2014Sheffield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGuided tourMonday, 27th March 2017You can only visit the castle as part of a guided tour so you need to book a time, we were on the last tour at 4.15, it lasted just under an hour. We really enjoyed it. We were lucky enough to have a... Read full review
- Dick CSalisbury, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesFascinating building, great tourSunday, 26th March 2017Durham Castle became a student residence, the first College of Durham University at its foundation in the 19th century. Since it is home to current students, the public can only visit on organised... Read full review
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Delta accepted
- Groups Accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 30
- Visa accepted
Tours and Demonstrations
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Groups
- Guided Tours Compulsory for Individuals - Entrance by guided tour only.
|2017 (1 Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* When there are no private events booked, tours are usually available every day at 1315, 1415, 1515 and 1615. During University vacations, tours are also normally offered at 1015, 1115 and 1215 noon.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 to Durham.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. The Durham Cathedral bus (every 20 minutes) links the railway station, North Road (for bus station), Market Place, and car and coach parks with the cathedral and castle. For more information see Durham County Council's web site www.durham.gov.uk or contact Traveline on 0871 200 22 33, www.traveline.info. Calls cost 10p per minute plus any charges your network provider makes