Explore the colourful and dramatic landscape of Durham’s Heritage Coast with its beaches, rugged cliffs and imposing headlands. A truly stunning location, the Heritage Coast is recognised internationally for its rare plants and wildlife.
Follow the coastal path that runs along much of the coast leading you through a colourful mosaic of grasslands, wildflowers, flora and fauna, through areas of natural, historical and geological interest. Enjoy spectacular views along the coastline and out across the sea as the North Sea air blows away the cobwebs.
The limestone grasslands of the cliff tops are one of the UK's most protected habitats and home to unique and varied wildlife.
Inland from the coast are hidden denes containing remnants of ancient yew and ash woodland. The largest is the picturesque Castle Eden Dene, a National Nature Reserve with 550 acres of natural woodland and 12 miles of footpaths. A peaceful and tranquil place, it is home to over 450 species of plants and wild flowers, many of which are typical of ancient woodlands that date back to pre-medieval times.
Seaham is a lively harbour town on Durham’s Heritage Coast and is home to one of the oldest churches in the country and the iconic Seaham Hall Hotel, home to the award winning Serenity Spa.
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good52
- olibotDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesGreat WalksThursday, 20th July 2017There are some really beautiful walks along the East Durhan Coast. Irrespective of the weather get the boots on and get walking Read full review
- FrexicanJosephAberdeenshire, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelOne of my favourite placesTuesday, 4th July 2017I never get tired of visiting this area. The scenery is stunning, beaches are great, and there is lots to do. Read full review
- 32MortenFinlandTrip Type:CouplesNice coastlineSunday, 2nd July 2017We visited here at the time of sunset. There were steps to the beach, but we decided to stay upper level. Views were enough nice. Read full review
* 2006 Opening - 03 Jan 2006 - 23 Dec 2006
Monday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Tuesday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Wednesday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Thursday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Friday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Saturday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
Sunday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00
BankHoliday: 09:00:00 - 17:00:00