Situated in its own grounds close to junction 63 on the A1M overlooking Durham County Cricket Ground and the River Wear, Lumley Castle dates back over 600 years to the 14th Century. Lumley Castle is now a four star hotel with 73 luxurious en suite rooms all individually designed situated within the Castle and its adjoining Courtyard and Mews. The Black Knight Restaurant is set deep within the Castle and enjoys an excellent reputation locally and the Library Bar is atmospheric and comfortable.
Lumley Castle is an ideal location for leisure guests with the hotels quiet yet accessible location close to Durham (8 miles), Newcastle (11 miles) and Sunderland (12 miles) together with free Wi-Fi, free parking and a range of meeting and event rooms makes this a sensible overnight option.
Lumley Castle takes its name from its creator, Sir Ralph Lumley, a well-known and popular soldier, renowned for his bravery in battles. In 1388 he played a key role in the defence of Berwick-on-Tweed and led the attack at the Battle of Otterburn. If there was ever a place that lived up to the name 'No Ordinary Hotel' it is Lumley Castle.
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room / Unit Type||Room / Unit Tariff*|
|Castle Feature Double en suite||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Mews||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Double en suite Courtyard Room||from £99.00 to £250.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Single en suite||from £79.00 to £98.00 per room (breakfast included)|
|Suite||£440.00 per room (breakfast included)|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 4 AA Stars
- Regional and Miscellaneous TasteDurham Quality Assured 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good545
- Mark HMexico City, MexicoTrip Type:CouplesNice hotel with historical appeal, romantic ambiance, and beautiful groundsMonday, 16th October 2017We stopped here only for one night after a visit to the Durham County Records Office, checking in just after dark around 7pm. We ate both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and were pleased with... Read full review
- Barry HStockton On Tees, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayAnother great staySunday, 15th October 2017On Friday 13th October my wife and I visited Lumley for the night staying over and indulging in the Elizabethan banquet. This is our fifth visit as we really enjoy the evening put on. The staff work... Read full review
- andyandmichelworcestershireTrip Type:Couplesfeature roomTuesday, 10th October 2017my husband treated me to a night here for my birthday and what a treat is was we had a feature room which was stunning with a 4 poster bed and a bath in the room that you have to go up steps to get... Read full review
- WiFi Available
- Access Statement - Please see below
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
Bookable Product Facilities
- Ground floor bedrooms available
- Cyclists Welcome
- Special provisions for cyclists - Can store cycles on request.
|Open (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
Map & Directions
Follow A1(M) northbound. Take junction 63 signposted Riverside and Chester-le-Street, Lumley Castle Hotel.
Public Transport Directions
Durham Station. Five miles north of A167. Chester-le-Street station one mile from the hotel.