At the heart of historic Washington village in South Tyneside, visitors will find National Trust Washington Old Hall which is the original Washington and medieval home of George Washington’s ancestors. This picturesque stone manor house and its gardens provide a tranquil oasis and reflect gentry life following the turbulence of the English Civil War.
Washington Old Hall is a 17th-century Manor house associated with the family of George Washington who famously was the first president of the USA. The building incorporates parts of the original medieval home of George Washington's direct ancestors, and it is from here that the family took their surname of 'Washington'.
Enjoy walking through the gardens of Washington and discover the dramatic 17th century parterre and the wilds of the nuttery. Find out more about National Trust's heritage and nature conservation work while you take in the beautiful surroundings.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£6.30 per ticket type|
|Child||£3.15 per ticket type|
|Family||£15.75 per ticket type|
|Family one adult||£9.50 per person per day|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- Visit England Code of Practice 2014
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Sub titled video runs for 10 mins. Induction loop for video.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Tactile opportunities in the house and garden plus a braile guide.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Small tea room with light refreshments, run by friends of Washington Old Hall. Old Hall available for dinners etc. (pre-booked).
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Approx length of visit - 1.5 hours
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Groups Accepted - Pre bookings only
- Max group size - 56
- Min group size - 15
- Special group rates - 2006 Adults £3.50 Children £2.30 2007 Adults £4.00 Children £2.40
- Sterling Travellers Cheques accepted
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- French printed material
- German printed material
- Japanese printed material
- Printed Material in Foreign Languages
- Village Location
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - 1 meeting room which holds upto 40 delegates.
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1/A1231. Follow signs to the A1231 then pick up the Brown Tourist signs.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Heworth Metro Station.