Whatever the season, come rain or shine – the award-winning WWT Washington Wetland Centre is the perfect place to bring you closer to nature.
Open 364 days, visitors can enjoy beautiful scenery, unforgettable wildlife encounters and special events all year round.
Explore a diverse mix of wetland, woodland, wildflower meadows and nature reserve – home to a collection of exotic birds including Chilean flamingos, Asian short-clawed otters, flocks of wild waders, grey herons, woodland birds, insects and amphibians.
Visit Close Encounters and hand-feed the rarest goose in the world or watch once-extinct Eurasian cranes as they parade across the stream area.
Bird hides with views of lapwing, curlew and avocet are on the shore at Wader Lake; colourful bullfinches and great-spotted woodpeckers gather at Hawthorn Wood feeding station; mini-beasts lurk in Hollowood and fluffy ducklings and goslings hatch at our specialist duckery (Spring/Summer).
Waterside Café serves up tasty food every day and is open to the general public (not including admission to the grounds). Plus there are outdoor picnic areas, an insect garden and Water Lab and rain garden to discover. With daily talks, regular seasonal events, the popular Splash Zone play area and WWT gift shop there’s something for everyone.
WWT Washington have excellent disabled access and free wheelchair and electric mobility scooter hire (must be pre-booked).
Join as a WWT member online or during your visit and explore all 9 WWT wetland centres throughout the UK. Plus, after your fourth visit you’ll be enjoying free days out for the next 12 months!
Visit the WWT Washington website for up-to-date admission prices, opening times, event details and information.
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust. Registered charity in England & Wales no. 1030884 and Scotland SCO39410.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£8.59 per ticket type|
|Child||£4.90 per ticket type|
|Concessions||£7.28 per ticket type|
|Family (2 adults & 2 children)||£22.90 per ticket type|
Ticket prices based on saving 10% when booked online.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2014
- Visit England Code of Practice 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous Tourism Awards 2009 - Bronze 2009
- Regional and Miscellaneous Tourism Awards 2011 - Gold 2011
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Sustainable Tourism Award - Bronze 2012
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Gold 2014
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Award - Highly Commended 2013
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access - The centre has level access and hard-surfaced paths with tarmac on its main routes (and compacted gravel on minor paths). Some bird hides are suitable for wheelchairs. Free wheelchair hire, including four electric wheelchairs (which are not in use during wet weather for health and safety reasons).
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Waterside Cafe serves up tasty, home-made food 364 days a year and is open free to the public (not including admission to grounds). Full catering facilities available for group bookings. Bbqs in summer and sun terrace open all year round.
- Picnic Site - Please ask a member of staff for details of our many lovely picnic spots.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking
- On site parking - Free car parking on site. Tarmac surface and reserved bays for disabled visitors.
- Parking (free)
- Approx length of visit - Allow three hours for an average visit.
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free - Please contact Leanne McCormella on 0191 419 5934 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delta accepted
- Groups Accepted - Essential to prebook.Pre-booking is essential.
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 999
- Min group size - 12
- Special group rates - Special group rates for 12+ people, along with other benefits.
- TIC Staff Admitted Free - Please contact Leanne McCormella on 0191 419 5934 or email@example.com
- Visa accepted
- Conference facilities - Washington Wetland Centre's facilities are available for hire and can be adapted to suit any occasion - from birthday parties and discos to training sessions or AGMs. For corporate customers, the Discovery Centre makes a refreshing alternative to the traditional boardroom environment. It sits 50 people and is licensed for up to 200. Facilities such as a laptop and pull down screen for presentations, plus an OHP and flip chart board, are available. Call the centre for details and booking.
- Event Venue - Washington Wetland Centre's facilities are available for hire and can be adapted to suit any occasion - from birthday parties and discos to training sessions or AGMs. For corporate customers, the Discovery Centre makes a refreshing alternative to the traditional boardroom environment. It sits 50 people and is licensed for up to 200. Facilities such as a laptop and pull down screen for presentations, plus an OHP and flip chart board, are available. Whatever the occasion, Waterside Café provides professional in-house catering and offers a selection of delicious menus, ranging from light snacks and refreshments to three-course meals with table service. A new children's birthday party package will be launching in 2010. Contact the centre for details and booking.
- Toilets - Plus accessible toilet and baby changing facilities.
- Outdoor Attraction - 45 hecatre site with Sir Peter Scott Visitor Centre incorporating a gift shop, waterside cafe, Discovery Centre, accessible toilet facilities and baby changing room.
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted - Contact the centre for details of our exciting, award-winning, educational programmes.
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Please contact the centre in advance to arrange.
Map & Directions
The centre is east of Washington town centre in Pattinson (formerly District 15) 4 miles from the A1(M), one mile from the A19 and signposted off the A195, A19, A182 and A1231 Washington Highway. Follow brown signs with duck logo.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Washington Galleries bus station. Regular buses direct to the centre (at Waterview Park). Contact Go North East on 0845 60 60 260 for details. By bike: River Wear trail passes the centre, as does the C2C cycle route. Cycle racks provided.