Holy Trinity Church in Wingate was built in 1841. The small farming community here greatly expanded when Wingate Grange Colliery started operating in 1839. Before the pit closed in 1962 Wingate was a large village served by two railway stations, Wingate and Wellfield, with connections to many towns in the North East.
The railways ceased operation soon after the pit had closed. The lines were removed but the routes are partially intact today. Pilgrims on the Way of Love from Hartlepool will have walked along the route past the sites of Hesleden and Castle Eden stations. After leaving Wingate the Way takes pilgrims along the old railway route just into Trimdon, and they will re-join the route between Trimdon Grange and Coxhoe.
The church today is still lively and welcoming, its congregation numbers both those born here decades ago and recent newcomers from hundreds of miles away.
No entry charge