"Christ The Good Shepherd" (1996), an original bronze statue made by a former member of the community, the late Mr Robert Raymond, was created to mark 225 years of Methodism in Durham City.
Elvet Methodist Church possesses a fine three manual pipe organ, built in 1934 by the Durham firm of Nelson and now maintained by the internationally famous Durham organ builders Harrison and Harrison Ltd.
As well as being used for regular worship, the church and ancilliary rooms are the venue for other public events including concerts, musical performances, dance workshops and as a meeting space.
There has been formal Methodism in the Elvet area of Durham City for almost 250 years, centred on the Meeting House in Rattan Row, the Wesleyan Chapel (which existed in the grounds of the present Marriott Royal County Hotel) and the present Methodist Church.
Map & Directions
By road, from the A1(M) junction 62, take the A690 towards Durham. At the next roundabout, continue on the main road A690 (A691) towards Durham. From the roundabout at the bottom of the hill, follow signs to Durham prison, turning left at the roundabout, and again at the traffic lights. Then follow the paragraph above.