The dramatic 14th century castle built by the mighty Nevilles has been home to Lord Barnard's family since 1626.
In the well-preserved halls and chambers history comes vibrantly to life. Throughout the castle the rooms display fine furniture, impressive artwork and elaborate architecture.
Visitors can also enjoy the deer park, large walled gardens, coach and carriage collection, woodland adventure playground, picnic area and gift shop. Part of the stables has been converted to a tearoom where former stalls have been incorporated to create an atmospheric setting. Events take place throughout the summer. The castle is open from 1300 to 1630 and the park and gardens open from 1000 to 1700.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Park and Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Park and Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child - Castle, Park and Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child - Park and Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park and Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Park and Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2017
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good135
- BillijaySunderland, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyMemorable daySaturday, 19th August 2017Hadn't been here in many years so decided to hop into the car and visit with my wife and daughter. Started with a enjoyable light lunch in the tearooms then we proceeded to walk round the gardens and... Read full review
- 2017JLW2017Darlington, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBEAUTIFUL, STUNNING!Wednesday, 16th August 2017Visited as a family, 2 adults and 1 child. We thought Raby Castle was absolutely stunning! The gardens are absolutely beautiful, we loved it! We came to see the annual classic car show, which my... Read full review
- markwilkinson1North EastTrip Type:FamilyTeashopTuesday, 15th August 2017I just wanted to write a quick review of how disappointed we were , we live in staindrop so decided to walk to raby castle with the little ones for lunch only to be told that we had to pay to enter... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
|Park and Gardens (15 Apr 2017 - 1 Oct 2017)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||11:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||11:00||- 17:00|
|Castle (15 Apr 2017 - 1 Oct 2017)|
|Tuesday - Sunday||12:30||- 16:30|
|Bank Holiday||12:30||- 16:30|
* Admission to the Castle is on a free flow basis, there will be no guided tours. Last admission 1600.
*The tearooms serve hot food until 1500 and finish serving at 1630.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.