AboutThe dramatic 14thC castle built by the mighty Nevilles has been home to Lord Barnard's family since 1626.
In the well-preserved halls and chambers history comes vibrantly to life. Throughout the castle the rooms display fine furniture, impressive artwork and elaborate architecture.
Visitors can also enjoy the deer park, large walled gardens, coach and carriage collection, woodland adventure playground, picnic area and gift shop. Part of the stables has been converted to a tearoom where former stalls have been incorporated to create an atmospheric setting. Events take place throughout the summer. The castle is open from 1300 to 1630 and the park and gardens open from 1000 to 1700.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Park and Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Park and Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child - Castle, Park and Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child - Park and Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park and Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Park and Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good120
- David MTrip Type:CouplesGrounds and Castle.Saturday, 31st December 2016The grounds were stunning, we went on a damp day, which brought out the smells of the plants and shrubs. They have a large red, and fallow dears roaming around the grounds. The coach house and tack... Read full review
- Homerun3361Trip Type:FamilySanta's GrottoFriday, 30th December 2016If you have small children this is a wonderful experience for them - a lot of trouble has gone into making the walk into the grotto exciting for the children and to pass the time in the queue. That... Read full review
- Christine TDarlington, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyBest Santa's GrottoSaturday, 17th December 2016Just had a lovely afternoon with the family at Raby Castle best Santa I have seen great grotto not to long to wait have to book well in advance but worth it. £8.50 for child and good present lovely... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
|Park and Gardens (15 Apr 2017 - 1 Oct 2017)|
|Castle (15 Apr 2017 - 1 Oct 2017)|
* Castle open 15 Apr-30 Jun and 1 Sep-1 Oct, Wed-Sun, 1230-1630; 1 Jul-31 Aug, daily, except Mon, 1230-1630 (last admission 1600). Admission to the Castle on weekdays is by a guided tour (free flow on weekends, bank holidays and during 1 Jul-31 Aug). Last admission 1600 (Last guided tour 1515).
Park and Gardens (including the shop and tearoom) open, 15 Apr-30 Jun and 1 Sep-1 Oct, Wed-Sun, 1100-1700; 1 Jul-31 Aug, daily, except Mon, 1100-1700.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.
Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.