The dramatic 14thC castle built by the mighty Nevilles has been home to Lord Barnard's family since 1626.
In the well-preserved halls and chambers history comes vibrantly to life. Throughout the castle the rooms display fine furniture, impressive artwork and elaborate architecture.
Visitors can also enjoy the deer park, large walled gardens, coach and carriage collection, woodland adventure playground, picnic area and gift shop. Part of the stables has been converted to a tearoom where former stalls have been incorporated to create an atmospheric setting. Events take place throughout the summer. The castle is open from 1300 to 1630 and the park and gardens open from 1000 to 1700.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - Castle, Park and Gardens||£12.00 per ticket type|
|Adult - Park and Gardens||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Child - Castle, Park and Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Child - Park and Gardens||£3.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Castle, Park and Gardens||£11.00 per ticket type|
|Concession - Park and Gardens||£6.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Castle, Park & Gardens||£35.00 per ticket type|
|Family (2+3) Park & Gardens||£18.00 per ticket type|
Children under 5 free.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2016
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good126
- BishopLassShildon, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayi visit so often the staff know who i am!Friday, 28th April 2017I love this place. I fortunately live a 10 min drive away so along with my mum have season tickets. They are £25 each but allow us to enter the park as many times (in that season) as we like and also... Read full review
- peeweesheffieldsheffieldTrip Type:Familywow!Tuesday, 25th April 2017This is a brilliant place to visit, We walked round the deer park first, I don't think I've ever seen so many all in one place, The children were thrilled to see them all. There's a large... Read full review
- _emaildblairFalkirk, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesCastle and deer park visitMonday, 24th April 2017Very overpriced cost £7.50 per adult just for the park, which is just a field around the castle and you are not allowed to even walk around the outside of the castle without paying £12.50 to get... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Dogs Accepted - In park only on short leads
|Park and Gardens (15 Apr 2017 - 1 Oct 2017)|
|Castle (15 Apr 2017 - 1 Oct 2017)|
* Castle open 15 Apr-30 Jun and 1 Sep-1 Oct, Wed-Sun, 1230-1630; 1 Jul-31 Aug, daily, except Mon, 1230-1630 (last admission 1600). Admission to the Castle on weekdays is by a guided tour (free flow on weekends, bank holidays and during 1 Jul-31 Aug). Last admission 1600 (Last guided tour 1515).
Park and Gardens (including the shop and tearoom) open, 15 Apr-30 Jun and 1 Sep-1 Oct, Wed-Sun, 1100-1700; 1 Jul-31 Aug, daily, except Mon, 1100-1700.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) follow the A66 and then take the A688 Barnard Castle-Bishop Auckland road. The castle is 1 mile north of Staindrop and 8 miles north-east of Barnard Castle.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Darlington Station.Nearest bus stop is Keverstone Bank, Raby, near Staindrop.