Now the chapel of St.John's College, the church of St. Mary The Less was founded in the 12th century as a garrison chapel for soldiers stationed on the nearby city walls.
Its name is believed to have been chosen to distinguish it from Durham Cathedral, which is dedicated to Christ, Blessed Mary the Virgin and St. Cuthbert of Durham.
Features include a rare 13th century sculpture depicting Jesus Christ and a memorial to the 'Little Count' Joseph Boruwlaski (1739-1837), a Polish-born dwarf who entertained European courts and lived in a house close to the church.
His Royal Highness, Charles Prince of Wales is directly connected to the church through his seven times great grandmother, Dame Elizabeth Bowes (1651-1736). She and two of her daughters, Jane and Elizabeth, are buried in a vault in the chapel.