Newcastle University's Hatton Gallery has been at the heart of cultural life in the North East since the early 20th century. It can be found on Newcastle University’s historic campus, meaning it’s extremely accessible from the city centre.
The Hatton's collection comprises over 3,000 works, including painting, sculpture, prints, and drawing, with pieces from the 14th century to the present day. Key pieces include work by Francis Bacon, Richard Hamilton, Palma Giovane, Thomas Bewick amongst many others.
In October 2017 the gallery underwent a £3.8 million redevelopment to conserve the historic and architectural elements of the Grade II listed building while creating a modern exhibition space. The funding also enabled urgent conservation and better interpretation of the iconic Merz Barn Wall by Kurt Schwitters, one of the most significant figures in 20th century art.
The Hatton now stages a changing programme of modern and contemporary art exhibitions, and events including artist and curator talks. Every year the gallery plays host to several Newcastle University student exhibitions, where you can view the work of talented emerging artists. Entry is free, but a donation is welcome.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England Code of Practice 2014
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Awaiting Grading 2014
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Large font labels available on request.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access - African collection inaccessible to disabled visitors. With prior arrangement a comprehensive selection can be brought downstairs for educational visits. Everything else on ground floor.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Picnic Site
- Approx length of visit - 2 hours (morning or afternoon visit). 4 hours + (whole day).
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Groups Accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 35
- Min group size - 6
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Dogs Accepted - Guide dogs only.
- Event Venue
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A167. Turn off onto the B6338 signposted 'University of Newcastle'. Follow signs for university.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Haymarket Metro Station. Turn left out of station, cross at traffic lights, turn left again, cross at traffic lights. Follow university campus signs to the Hatton Gallery.