South Shields Museum and Art Gallery
Tyne and Wear
Tel: 0191 211 5599
South Shields Museum & Art Gallery explores the story of South Tyneside through sensational displays, hands-on exhibits and stunning art.
The museum has three main displays: Tales of South Tyneside explores the local and social history of the area during the twentieth century together with the lifetime achievement of the successful local author Catherine Cookson; Art Adventure takes a fresh approach to the interpretation of many of the Museum's paintings and Changing Faces charts the history of South Tyneside from the Bronze Age to the twentieth century through the Museum's archaeological, natural and historical collections.
The museum has regular exhibitions and a range of activities and events to suit all ages. Most of the events, like the Museum, are free of charge. Visit www.twmuseums.org.uk/southshields for details.
South Shields Museum & Art Gallery is managed by Tyne & Wear museums on behalf of South Tyneside Council.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|South Shields Museum & Art Gallery||Free|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England Code of Practice 2012
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Induction loops available.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - Self service selection of hot and cold drinks. Seating for approximately 15 persons.
Parking & Transport
- Parking (charge)
- Delta accepted
- Groups Accepted - 1
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 20
- Min group size - 6
- Visa accepted
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Family Fun - 1
- Marketed Towards Children - 1
- Marketed Towards Families - 1
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens - 1
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth - 1
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - 1
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A194. Take the A194 to town centre. Follow road down side of town hall, at roundabout turn left onto Anderson Street. Halfway down take a left up into car park at Majestic Bingo. There are steps from here leading to the Museum.
Public Transport Directions
The museum is located on pedestrianised Ocean Road, just five minutes walk from South Shields Bus & Metro Stations. There is a public car park to the rear of the museum signposted off Anderson Street. There is a dropping off point for coaches on nearby Mile End Road.For more information on public transport telephone the NEXUS traveline on 0871 200 2233.