Woodhorn, Museum and Northumberland Archives
Tel: 01670 624455
For a taste of Northumberland's history and mining heritage try a visit to Woodhorn - Museum and Northumberland Archives, near Ashington.
Woodhorn is based in original colliery buildings with a stunning new building, inspired by the monster coal cutting machines that were once used deep underground. Its entertaining and interactive displays paint a picture of life in this former mining community.
You can take an emotional journey through Coal Town and learn about the life and loves, tears and tragedies of a proud mining community.
You can also explore the colliery buildings, hum along to a brass band, see the colourful miners' banner and even design your own banner. There's a regular programme of touring exhibitions covering everything from fashion and tattoos to photography and mining art.
Woodhorn is home to The Ashington Group Collection - a unique collection of paintings by the artists more affectionately known as the Pitmen Painters whose story has been celebrated in the award winning play of the same name by Billy Elliot writer Lee Hall.
If you want more history you can visit the Northumberland archives at Woodhorn which house everything from old maps and photographs to church records. With 800 years of history, it's just the thing if you're researching that family tree.
Touch screens will show you how to get started if you want to delve into the past and Woodhorn's study centre welcomes visitors all year round - just bring some id with you.
The separate Workshop Galleries offers visitors some great, large scale exhibitions too. Past exhibitions have included Wallace & Gromit, famous cars of TV and film, even the BBC Walking with Dinosaurs!
Visitors can explore the grade 2 listed colliery buildings, enjoy lunch in the cafe or wander around the country park in which it is all located. Free admission. (Occasionally some big exhibitions have charges.)
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult Annual Pass||£7.00 per ticket type|
|Concessionary Annual Pass||£6.00 per ticket type|
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- VAQAS VB Attraction
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme - Silver 2011
- Visit England Code of Practice 2011
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Sustainable Tourism Award - Bronze 2012
- Facilities for Hearing Impaired Visitors - Printed version of audio tracks available at locations around site.
- Facilities for Visually Impaired Visitors - Tactile map of Cutter Building available at main welcome desk. Audio tracks at selected locations within buildings.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors - Parking adjacent to new building. Please indicate need on arrival.
- Ramp / Level Access - Some minor restriction for listed buildings. Cutter Building fully accessible with ramp to upper level.
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors - Accessible toilet available at each location within site.
- Groups: Coach Group Coffee/Meal Stop - To suit your requirements.
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £3
- Approx length of visit - 2 1/2 - 3 hours with lunch or guided tour
- Blue Badge Guides admitted free
- Groups Accepted - Prior booking advisable.
- Groups: Concessions for Driver and GTO - Free tea/coffee in cafe.
- MasterCard accepted
- Max group size - 100
- Min group size - 10
- Open by appointment outside normal opening times
- Special group rates - For guided tours and special exhibitions
- TIC Staff Admitted Free
- Visa accepted
- Conference facilities
- Event Venue
- In countryside - Set in award-winning country park
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction - The special listed buildings are part of the Woodhorn experience and need to be explored on foot.
- Family Fun - Additional activities usually available during school holidays.
- Marketed Towards Children - Core education offering plus extra workshops to tie in with exhibition programme.
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens - Easy access and free use of Woodhorn wheelchairs/scooter.
- Marketed Towards Students / Youth - Full education programme available
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Groups - Several available including Pitmen Painters