St Andrew's Church
Tyne and Wear
Tel: +44 0191 516 0135
St Andrew's Church is of international importance, the interior has many treasures including William Morris carpets, Ernest Grimson furniture and the painted ceiling in the sanctuary depicting the creation of the sun and stars which is painted in ‘egg-tempera’.
The church, designed by Edward Prior was built in 1906 - 1907, with local wealthy shipyard owner John Priestman being the main benefactor.