At Locomotion you can see highlights of the national collection of railway vehicles in the world’s first railway town.
The town of Shildon has had an exciting story to tell since the earliest days of the rail industry, making it the perfect place to explore the rich seam of local railway history and discover how the railways have changed all our lives.
Free admission tickets are now available to book.
To help maintain social distancing, we’re limiting the number of people who can visit each day. To help us manage this, please book free tickets in advance. Please help us to keep everyone safe by wearing a face covering when indoors at the museum, unless you are exempt. Please observe social distancing, and follow one-way routes around the museum.
Free admission and free parking. Please book your ticket in advance.
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Tourism Awards - Tourism Event of the Year - Bronze 2014
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence 2018
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021
- Access Statement - Please see below
Parking & Transport
- On site parking - Free parking
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. A68 onto the A6072 then onto the B6282 then follow brown tourism signs for the museum.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Shildon. Follow brown tourism signs for site.