The Bowes Museum is a wonderful destination for groups, offering a perfect balance of relaxation and inspiration. With three floors of galleries and twenty acres of gardens and parkland, there is plenty to explore. Our experienced and friendly Groups Coordinator will take time to understand your group’s unique personality and help you create your ideal itinerary.
You have the freedom to explore the Museum at your leisure, take advantage of a complementary tour with one of our knowledgeable volunteer guides, or go behind the scenes in the conservation studios or the library and archives. Specialist groups have the opportunity to experience private tours with the Museum's curators, exploring the World-class ceramics, paintings, or textiles collections in fascinating detail.
Our head chef will prepare excellent food for you using local produce. Choose from delicious afternoon teas, light options or heartier fayre. Visit Café Bowes at your leisure, or treat yourselves to relaxed private dining in the bright and elegant Jubilee Room and enjoy spectacular views over the Teesdale countryside.
For groups who love to explore, the attractive historic market town of Barnard Castle with a wide range of independent shops is just a short walk from the Museum.
2019 group rates offer £10 per person, free admission for group organiser & £5 refreshment voucher for coach driver.
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England Quality Assured Visitor Attraction 2017
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good393
- PeterQ008LancashireTrip Type:CouplesSubstantial PlaceWednesday, 17th April 2019On arrival the sheer size and bulk of the building creates a sense of awe. Inside the collection is astounding. We went early in the day after a short drive from our hotel and were fresh, you need... Read full review
- AyBee71Northampton, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayFantastic Day OutThursday, 18th April 2019From the outside the building is amazing but inside the space is on par with any of the big Victorian London museums. The collection is huge, varied and well displayed. We found the information... Read full review
- Christopher EHarrogate, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesVery pleasant vistThursday, 18th April 2019Lovely grounds, good access, pleasant cafe. A good and interesting time. Could perhaps improve the ecoetidnce by directional signs to ensure you visit the family history section first. Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Free meal / refreshments for Coach Driver, Group Organiser, Tour Guide or Group Supervisor(s)
- Groups: Lunch Catered For
- Groups: Refreshments Catered For
Parking & Transport
- Coach Drop Off / Pick Up Point
- Coach Parking Onsite
- Groups: Max Group Size
- Groups: Meet and Greet Services - Booking required.
- Groups: Min Group Size - 12
Travel & Trade
- Groups: Average Length of Visit - 3 hours.
- Groups: Concessions for Coach Driver, Group Organiser, Tour Guide or Group Supervisor(s)
- Groups: Free for Coach Driver, Group Organiser, Tour Guide or Group Supervisor(s)
|Open (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00|
|Bank Holiday||10:00||- 17:00|
* Closed 25 & 26 Dec, 1 Jan. Cafe opening 1000-1630. Shop opening 1000-1645.