Enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime experience with the most famous steam engine ever, Flying Scotsman at Locomotion this Christmas time.
Feel the wonder as you see the locomotive in light steam for a truly atmospheric experience all the family will enjoy. Take the rare chance to climb aboard into the cab, see the firebox alight and imagine being the driver.
There’s plenty for children, too, with lots of make and do activities.
As the last stop of its centenary tour celebration, the specially created film Flying Scotsman: 100 Years, 100 Voices will be screened, showing stories from people whose lives have been touched by the locomotive.
Please note the museum is closed on 24, 25 and 26 December.
This event replaces the previously advertised Flying Scotsman Centenary Festival.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
Free Admission, though tickets must be booked in advance.
|2023 (16 Dec 2023 - 7 Jan 2024)|
* Please note the museum is closed on 24, 25 and 26 December.
Map & Directions
Only accessible parking is available on site. Local Parking can be challenging, so arrival by train is recommended. Shildon Station is located beside the museum. The Bishop Line departs from Bishop Auckland, Newton Aycliffe. Heighington and Darlington, and brings you right onto site!
Check back for further information on traveling to Flying Scotsman Centenary Festival.
- Seven Christmas experiences to enjoy in the culture county.
- Find out what's happening this Christmas, from the traditional Durham Christmas Festival to the annual panto and festive craft workshops.
- Durham is home to world-class events, discover Durham’s most unmissable for 2023.
- Sign up to find out what's on across Durham and the latest news.