“Described in the Sunday Telegraph as ‘stunning’, Crook Hall, a Medieval Manor house built circa 1217 is one of the oldest inhabited houses in Durham City. Home to the Bell Family since 1995, the Medieval Hall merges into a Jacobean Manor house which in turn merges into a Georgian Town house reflecting its development over the centuries that it has stood beside the River Wear.
The Hall provides a spectacular backdrop to the 5 acres of stunning gardens which are laid out in a series of rooms such as the Shakespeare Garden, the Cathedral Garden and the Secret Walled Garden.
Visitors from all over the world come to share in the timeless magic of Crook Hall and leave inspired by these idyllic English gardens. This could have been the reason that led William Wordsworth and John Ruskin to visit the gardens for quiet contemplation!
We are open from Sunday to Wednesday and welcome visitors throughout the year. If you are a horticultural society, have a keen interest in history, photography and wildlife, or are a general interest group, there is something for everyone at Crook Hall and Gardens.
Visitors are invited to try out the maze, hunt down the ghosts, experience the peace and tranquillity of the walled gardens or simply relax and enjoy a homemade cream tea in our pretty little Court Yard Café.
We also have our Garden Gate Café which is open 7 days a week serving breakfasts and light lunches alongside mouth-watering homemade cakes and scones. Our gift shop offers a range of souvenirs and local products including Durham Gin, South Durham Honey and Durham Brewery Ales.
The Hall has wonderful views of Durham Cathedral and has been described in Country Life as having ‘history, romance and beauty’. We are just a short walk away from Durham City’s bustling market place.
We offer a 10% discount for groups of 20+ guests along with free entry for the tour group organiser and coach driver. All groups are met with a welcome talk from Maggie Bell or by one of our fantastic team members. Guided tours of the Hall and Gardens are available at an additional cost.
Coach parking is available on the main road at our entrance; it is pay and display ~ we will re-imburse parking charges before your group leaves us.
If you have any questions, specific requirements or have a proposed date for a visit please don’t hesitate to contact us on 0191 384 8028, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be delighted to help.”
We offer a discount of 10% along with complimentary entry for tour guide and driver when booking a group of more than 20 people. A private guided tour of the hall & gardens is available to add for any extra £3.00 per person.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good200
- Lou_13059Trip Type:FamilyChristmas at the HallSunday, 1st December 2019Super friendly attentitive staff! A wonderful day out enjoyed by all ages! Would definitely return! Over all 5/5. Read full review
- VickiLou256Durham, United KingdomFantastic experience!Wednesday, 4th December 2019I have visited Crook Halls several times now. Once for a wedding, once to see the house and gardens and once for one of their themed afternoon teas! All experiences were fantastic! Would highly... Read full review
- MishtravellingDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyThe perfect family Christmas day outSaturday, 14th December 2019We love Crook Hall - delicious food, fabulous grounds and location, super friendly staff (Connor in particular). Special mention of today’s parsnip and apple soup which tasted incredible (made by... Read full review
- Access Statement - We have a separate entrance for wheelchair/ push chair access, one of which has a ramp, the other doesn’t need a ramp. We have numerous benches placed around the gardens, for guests to take breaks while they are here on their visit.
- On-Site café/restaurant - Homemade cream teas, cakes, toasted sandwiches, soup, speciality teas and coffee.
Parking & Transport
- Coach Parking Offsite - Coach parking is available on the main road at our entrance; it is pay and display ~ we will re-imburse parking charges before your group leaves us.
Travel & Trade
- Free/Discounted Entry for Coach Driver
- Free/Discounted Entry for Tour Guide
|2020 (2 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* Opening Times and Days:
Crook Hall & Gardens is open Sunday, Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday
10am until 5pm (March - October)
11am until 4pm (November - February)
Excluding Children's Halloween in October and Sundays in December.
*Please note the House and Gardens are normally closed to the public on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays but there may be exceptions throughout the year. Please call or email to check specific dates.
We are open New Years Day at reduced hours - 12 noon until 4pm.
Only guide dogs are allowed in the gardens.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A1(M). From the A1(M) take the A690 into Durham city centre. Follow the signs for The Gates Shopping Centre then pick up the signs for Crook Hall.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Durham Station. From the station road walk down North Road past the bus station to The Gates Shopping Centre. Follow the road down to the riverside, and Crook Hall is signposted from there.
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.