AboutHamsterley Forest is a 5,000 acre mixed woodland, open to the public all year. It is a magnet for mountain bikers from all over the North of England, attracted by a wide range of cycling experiences, from the training loop and top quality off-road cycle trails, to the high octane four-cross and downhill mountain bike courses provided by Descend Hamsterley. Cycle hire available, telephone +44 01388 488222, www.woodnwheels.org.uk
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS
- Visit England VAQAS 2009
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp / Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- On-Site café/restaurant - The Café is open daily Easter till end September 10-5pm, October daily 11-4pm, November/January/February weekends only 11-4pm. December weekends only 11-4pm (also open during school Christmas holidays 11-4pm. March weekends only 11-4pm, but during half term school holidays daily 11-4pm. The Café also has an Ice Cream van open weekends from Easter till end September 12-5pm: also open daily during School Holidays/half term from Easter till end August.
- Picnic Site
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (charge) - £6 to park all day, £10 on all bank holiday weekends from Easter to August inclusive.
- Forest Location
- In countryside
* Bikes are available to hire all year, throughout the summer bikes are available between 10am and 6pm seven days a week, and during the winter between 10am and dusk Saturday and Sunday.
Map & Directions
Nearest major road is A68. Follow brown 'Hamsterley Forest' signs from A68 North of Bishop Auckland.
Public Transport Directions
Nearest station is Bishop Auckland Station. Buses to Hamsterley Village from Bishop Auckland Bus Station. It takes 20 minutes to walk from Hamsterley Village to the forest.