The Castle is undergoing major restoration work to restore it to its former Georgian Gothic opulence, it will reopen to visitors in spring 2019.
Auckland Castle Trust was established in 2012 to transform a 900-year-old bishop’s palace from an unknown private dwelling into a world-class art, faith and heritage destination of international significance.
Once complete it will provide a much larger offering to groups, with new tour options, an increased hospitality function and improved facilities and access.
Work has also begun on a new Mining Art Gallery, located in Bishop Auckland Market Place, just a five minute stroll from the Castle. The gallery, due to open in autumn 2017, will feature works by prominent local Durham mining artists, including Tom McGuinness and Norman Cornish, amongst many others.
A new welcome building and tower will provide stunning views of the former Prince Bishops Estate, and become home to a ticketing and information hub from July 2018.
Opening in 2019, the new Faith Museum will explore history of Faith in the British Isles. This will be followed by a re-envisioned Walled Garden and Restaurant, a Spanish Art Gallery, inspired by Francisco de Zurbarán’s Spanish masterpieces that hang in Auckland Castle, and a new boutique hotel.
The full details of our group offer are currently being finalised. Please keep an eye on www.aucklandcastle.org
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Silver 2015
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good104
- sheilanurse56Sunderland, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelDeer Park is fabulous for walksThursday, 28th March 2019I visited especially to walk in the deer park so didn't go into the palace but the Tower in the town square in front of the palace entrance gives a comprehensive history on its exterior walls. An... Read full review
- Travelingjohn123Peterlee, United KingdomLots of restorationSaturday, 13th April 2019Lots of restoration work taking place to bring this castle back to former glories. Nice walks in the gardens and close to the town centre. Worth a visit when finished Read full review
- R NHartlepool, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesCalled in as part of the food festival..Friday, 19th April 2019Popped in for a stroll around theCastle grounds and my goodness, there is a lot of work going on to bring this attraction right up to date. By an extraordinary coincidence three days later I attended... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Group Discounts Available
- Groups: Lunch Catered For
- Groups: Refreshments Catered For
Parking & Transport
- Coach Drop Off / Pick Up Point
Travel & Trade
- Group: Discounts Available
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Pre-booking is essential by calling 01388 743 797 or emailing email@example.com