The Castle is currently closed to undergo a multi-million pound restoration, due to re-open in all its opulent Georgian splendour in Deecember 2018.
Auckland Castle Trust was established in 2012 to transform a 900-year-old bishop’s palace from an unknown private dwelling into a world-class art, faith and heritage destination of international significance.
Once complete it will provide a much larger offering to groups, with new tour options, an increased hospitality function and improved facilities and access.
Work has also begun on a new Mining Art Gallery, located in Bishop Auckland Market Place, just a five minute stroll from the Castle. The gallery, due to open in autumn 2017, will feature works by prominent local Durham mining artists, including Tom McGuinness and Norman Cornish, amongst many others.
A new welcome building and tower will provide stunning views of the former Prince Bishops Estate, and become home to a ticketing and information hub from July 2018.
Opening in 2019, the new Faith Museum will explore history of Faith in the British Isles. This will be followed by a re-envisioned Walled Garden and Restaurant, a Spanish Art Gallery, inspired by Francisco de Zurbarán’s Spanish masterpieces that hang in Auckland Castle, and a new boutique hotel.
The full details of our group offer are currently being finalised. Please keep an eye on www.aucklandcastle.org
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Silver 2015
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good101
- olibotDurham, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesA lot of work going on....Wednesday, 24th October 2018The grounds and castle are undergoing some refurbishment which means that access can be limited. But the walk we enjoyed was great - helped by a sunny autumn day. Read full review
- Martyn CNetherfield, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesIn a state of overhaulWednesday, 24th October 2018There’s lots of work going on at the castle, dramatic stepped gardens, landscaping and interior work to the main house. We walked the grounds and appreciated the history which is well told outside... Read full review
- 2010mustangCheshire, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesLovely and in a delightful settingTuesday, 6th November 2018Unfortunately we could only visit the grounds as there is still lots of building work going on, However, the building itself is worth seeing with the lovely gardens and park nearby, Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Group Discounts Available
- Groups: Lunch Catered For
- Groups: Refreshments Catered For
Parking & Transport
- Coach Drop Off / Pick Up Point
Travel & Trade
- Group: Discounts Available
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2018 - 31 Dec 2018)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Pre-booking is essential by calling 01388 743 797 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org