The Castle is currently closed to undergo a multi-million pound restoration, due to re-open in all its opulent Georgian splendour in Deecember 2018.
Auckland Castle Trust was established in 2012 to transform a 900-year-old bishop’s palace from an unknown private dwelling into a world-class art, faith and heritage destination of international significance.
Once complete it will provide a much larger offering to groups, with new tour options, an increased hospitality function and improved facilities and access.
Work has also begun on a new Mining Art Gallery, located in Bishop Auckland Market Place, just a five minute stroll from the Castle. The gallery, due to open in autumn 2017, will feature works by prominent local Durham mining artists, including Tom McGuinness and Norman Cornish, amongst many others.
A new welcome building and tower will provide stunning views of the former Prince Bishops Estate, and become home to a ticketing and information hub from July 2018.
Opening in 2019, the new Faith Museum will explore history of Faith in the British Isles. This will be followed by a re-envisioned Walled Garden and Restaurant, a Spanish Art Gallery, inspired by Francisco de Zurbarán’s Spanish masterpieces that hang in Auckland Castle, and a new boutique hotel.
The full details of our group offer are currently being finalised. Please keep an eye on www.aucklandcastle.org
- VAQAS VB Attraction VAQAS VB Attraction
- Visit England VAQAS 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous North East England Small Visitor Attraction of the Year Silver 2015
- Certificate of Excellence 2018
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good103
- Nicky HTrip Type:Friends getawayVisit to CastleWednesday, 12th December 2018Interesting building with wonderful ceilings and decoration - undergoing renovation - it was good to see the whole area being upgraded. Read full review
- Lee67N yorksTrip Type:FamilyDeer parkSaturday, 29th December 2018Lovely visit, surprised how much land the park covers. Lovely for a dog walk, right in the town centre, so handy for pubs and cafes. Will be back when the castle reopens. Read full review
- 764graemehDurham, England, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelShare the Dream of One Man...You Can!Sunday, 13th January 2019One Man, Jonathan Ruffer, had a Dream that ALL Can Share; Transformation of a Valley Town, to attract Three Hundred Thousand Every Year! A Castle, the Private Palace of 'Prince Bishops', established... Read full review
- Access Statement - Please see below
- Group Discounts Available
- Groups: Lunch Catered For
- Groups: Refreshments Catered For
Parking & Transport
- Coach Drop Off / Pick Up Point
Travel & Trade
- Group: Discounts Available
|Auckland Castle Park (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Dec 2019)|
* Kindly note: the Castle is now closed for restoration, however keep a look out as we will have many activities throughout 2017.
Pre-booking is essential by calling 01388 743 797 or emailing email@example.com